Only Controversial Topics!!!

Tools    

Yeah, preemptively, and I doubt this really needs to be said, but this thread is not going to become an outlet for any recently closed threads. Just fair warning on that.
I'm going to be charitable and assume some people didn't see this, and quote it again to make sure they do.

This is the Mandela Effect

To keep with the topic of the thread controversially i do remember them as the Berenstain Bears.
I was just about to post that this is like a really un-fun Mandela Effect.

Although even that effect has controversy. Of the non-Berenstain mandela effect folk there are also groups that argue over if it was changed from Berenstein or Bernstein bears.

I asked a couple of very straightforward questions that I don't believe were answered. Here they are again:

1. What events, specifically, do you and "most people in the central and northern NJ area" remember?

2. What reason do you have for thinking news articles or clips were removed, rather than not posted at all?

No evidence existed for what? For the claim that thousands celebrated in New Jersey, or for the claim that anybody celebrated at all? Because the evidence you showed was for the latter, whereas the news outlets seem to have been talking almost exclusively about the former.

Yeah, but in this case you'd only need to find one, yeah? And I made a very similar request about Charlottesville, for which there are presumably very many clips online, and didn't hear back about that, either.

My suspicion here, as you've probably guessed, is that nothing's being suppressed, and that you didn't actually see it. This fits perfectly with the way you describe things, by the way: "some in the media implied...", "people were saying..." It reads like you're describing your general impression of things, not citing specific events. It reads like you're taking your feelings watching the news, and your beliefs about what people in the media might want to say, and confusing them with facts.
1. The "events" referred to are celebrations by Muslims after the 9/11 attacks in various places in NY & NJ. (I kind of thought that was stated many times so far and the question as to whether these took place or not was the entire point of the controversy, no less what was being referred to in all the videos I posted so far.)

2. In a former post I did cede the point that info referencing the "events" may not have been posted, and I agreed, as you said, not everything is saved on the Internet. As stated several times already, it turned into a controversy when, instead of simply questioning Trump's numbers, the media said none of these events ever happened BECAUSE there was no evidence that any celebrations occurred (despite newscasts, articles and testimonies).

I've posted a few YouTube videos now that show the information existed, but my indictment of the media is that they were saying Trump was a liar about any such incidents occurring BECAUSE there was NO evidence. They said this over and over on various TV stations for weeks. Yet, we know there was evidence - we have testimonies of the former Mayor and Police Commissioner of NYC who were in those positions on 9/11. Why could news agencies not find the reports? We know they existed in the New York and Washington Posts. That's why I think they were covering the evidence up - it existed, the media probably knew they existed (or else the media is more inept than I am at finding documentation), but the narrative the media formed was that none of it ever happened and their proof that it never happened was that there was no evidence.

I'm sorry I can't post month's worth of radio and tv talk shows debating the controversy, but in the Limbaugh clip, he corroborates that the media went all out to say that the celebrations never occurred because they could find no evidence of them, that Trump's saying they occurred at all is a lie and anyone who says they remember the reports of the occurrences is lying.

As Limbaugh pointed out, one of the fact checkers who said Trump was making this stuff up worked for the Washington Post, but apparently never even checked his own newspaper for the article on these events that his paper ran.

The narrative from the media was not that Trump was exaggerating about numbers, but he was making up a falsehood because he was an Islamophobe as was anyone else who claimed to remember these events on any scale.

I obviously have no way to prove to you my personal experience, or that these stories ran for days on local news stations in NJ in 2001, or that construction workers who drove through the areas in question told me they saw these celebrations before the news even reported them.

I can't prove to you that during the controversy in 2015 - 2016 the "Curtis & Kooby" radio show on ABC from New York City received many dozens of calls by people in the metropolitan area stating they remember the reports, they saw them on TV, read about them in the paper, they were firefighters or cops who were on the scene or they were local people who witnessed them first hand.

So, let me ask you... what evidence would you need to believe that people in NJ witnessed and remembered these events because they occurred?

On the videos I posted you've got testimonies of government officials, police reports, newspaper articles written in 2001, a local newscast report about the FBI responding to these celebrations and making arrests at the site, people calling in to radios and giving eyewitness testimony.

For anyone questioning whether there was a controversy in 2015 - 16 over whether the events took place to any extent - here's clip from Inside Edition.

Note: we've already established Trump being wrong about the numbers - there's no controversy over that, it is agreed. He exaggerates. But the media used that fault as a way to say the entire claim was a lie.
Here a reporter says no events (Muslim 9/11 celebrations) took place. She calls it an "urban legend." She says the "legend has been discredited," says police and politicians have "said that never happened." Then goes on with testimony from one politician commenting on Trump's exaggerations.

This is just one example of the media saying it never happened (it was an "urban legend") - despite all the police reports, the FBI arrests, the local newscasts, multiple newspaper articles, eye-witness reports and the public testimonies of the NYC Mayor and Police Commissioner.

It was these types of reports with an obvious agenda behind them that ended up being discredited.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
WTF did I just watch? Did you even watch that before posting it?

WTF did I just watch? Did you even watch that before posting it?
Yes. Trump and his followers at his rallies are horrible - that's the message of the report.

The pertinent part to my point is between 0:32 - 1:06.

Let's get to it! Stay with me now!

Notice, the claim of the celebrations being an "urban legend" that never happened directly contradicts the Pablo Guzman report from 2001. (So, which one is true? Now, there's a question!)

Also note how the report cleverly cuts to the Mayor of Jersey City as a way to seemingly corroborate the reporter's claims that no celebrations among Muslims ever occurred, but all the mayor does is question Trump's numbers claim. The reporter states that politicians say the celebrations never happened... they cut to the mayor... yet he does not corroborate the report nor deny that any celebrations occurred (he only comments on Trump's exaggeration). It's a clever juxtaposition that feeds the narrative, but most would never catch that they mayor never supports this notion that Muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks is an urban legend that never occurred.

In fact his words are "Either he [Trump] is willfully mischaracterizing what happened or he has memory issues." Now, the two previous reporters basically said NOTHING "happened" in Jersey City - the celebrations are only "rumors" and "legends," yet the mayor says "what happened" as if referring to something specific that happened. Most likely the "what happened" that he's referring to are the celebrations talked about in the Pablo Guzman CBS report - where the FBI tracked the celebrations to suspected terrorist sympathizers that they arrested in JERSEY CITY as that was reported on by local news and documented by the FBI!

I was just about to post that this is like a really un-fun Mandela Effect.

Although even that effect has controversy. Of the non-Berenstain mandela effect folk there are also groups that argue over if it was changed from Berenstein or Bernstein bears.
They are pretty fun, but i've always found the people who actually believe in the Mandela Effect really arrogant more than anything else. It's basically people that can't accept that their brain had something wrong so there must be some elaborate scheme to trip them up. Like the Berenstain/Berenstein/Bernstein is very easy to explain, surnames ending in "stein" are much more common than ones ending in "stain" plus to me at least it sounds more natural so that's where your brain goes.

I went through a list once and one that surprised me was it's Febreze and not Febreeze: three e's instead of four. Of course that's easily explainable in that the word is "breeze" not "breze". Another one that didn't get me but made sense that it'd be one of these was Sex and the City/Sex in the City. I watched the show so i remember it as the former but i did always think Sex in the City sounded more correct.

False memories without the time travel and government coverups are pretty interesting anyway. I posted about this one i experienced recently that really messed me up haha, made me wonder if i have any other experiences that are basically memories i have created in my head:

It's funny that you guys are talking about The Champ right now. Me, my friend and my mum ended up talking about false memories after my friend brought up something last week about something another friend of ours believes he was there for when he wasn't (he's heard us talk about it that much that he's convinced himself he was there because it was that long ago and has started using it as his own anecdote, it's a really weird thing to observe), we were all bringing up examples later. Our main family one was my older sister believing she was there when we gave our dog away when i was about 8 years old; she honestly wasn't there but she has been a part of the conversation so much that she believes she was and she was so close to the dog (it was basically hers) that we haven't corrected her.

My mum ended up blowing my mind when she mentioned that i didn't watch the Jon Voight The Champ film with them even though i honestly have that memory. What happened was i was about 7 or 8 years old and i've mentioned here alot that i watched The Exorcist around then for the first time and had nightmares for months, well after that she didn't (my mum absolutely didn't allow me to watch The Exorcist then for the record, it was my oldest sister when my parents weren't around) want me getting messed up by a really sad film but my (older by 3 years, not my oldest sister who showed me The Exorcist) sister wantedt to watch it because her friend had mentioned it to her. Anyway, she basically tricked my stupid 7 year old brain to go and do whatever i would have done if i didn't want to watch this film because my sister did, and after they watched it my sister told me what happened at the end and my mum said over the years she has seen that morph into me having watched it with them which never happened. There's every chance i watched it myself or with someone on tv or whatever but that memory i have of watching it with my dad, mum and sister never happened.

So yeah, that blew my mind. Sorry if that was really boring haha.

Camo - remember that radio show I said I listened to about revisionist history (or whatever)? It was on Coast to Coast (a late night radio show that often features paranormal stuff, UFO's as well as medicine, science and politics).

Anyway, I kept hearing the guy say something about the spelling of the "Flintstones" as "Flinstones" but then the misspelling was erased from history - so I just found this reference to the Mandela Effect when searching for "Flintstones spelling"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._vi8cJ7duG2o-A

Camo - remember that radio show I said I listened to about revisionist history (or whatever)? It was on Coast to Coast (a late night radio show that often features paranormal stuff, UFO's as well as medicine, science and politics).

Anyway, I kept hearing the guy say something about the spelling of the "Flintstones" as "Flinstones" but then the misspelling was erased from history - so I just found this reference to the Mandela Effect when searching for "Flintstones spelling"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._vi8cJ7duG2o-A
Yep, that's one of them. That one is so weird to me it's always been "Flint" to me, i've never even heard anyone pronounce it like "Flinstones".

Here's a list of them - https://www.alternatememories.com/index If you click on them it explains what the mixup is. They are actually pretty fun as long as you don't believe it's the men in black haha, inevitably there will be a few that you remember differently.

Holy crap i had never heard this one before, hilarious. About the Kennedy Assassination:

Who did it?

The Kennedy assassination is the subject of one of the biggest conspiracy theories of all time.

That fateful day in Dallas, 1963 when live television caught the presidents death in the open topped motorcade is, for good or bad, one of the iconic events of the 20th century. Countless theories ranging from him wanting to escape the privately owned Federal Reserves monopoly on lending money to the US government with interest, to the mafia and right through to aliens have been in circulation ever since.

The actual shooting was filmed. For years, the hunt has been on for the "man behind the grassy knoll" by conspiracy theorists who don't buy the official story that Lee Harvey Oswald fired from a warehouse.

But does the video itself now show something not present at the time?

Jackie

Some people are claiming there are many discrepancies between the video seen today and the one they remember seeing back then.

The most significant claim is that Jackie fired the shot and quickly put the gun behind the car seat. Also the number of people in the car is now 6 and not 4, and there is now a glass panel separating the front and rear passengers.

Some are saying these videos, which are apparently enhanced from the National Archive, are fake. In any case, this the significant event which has taken on an extra meme of it's own - "where were you when you heard of Kennedy being shot?".
"Jackie fired the shot and quickly put the gun behind the car seat."

This reminds me of the "famous" movie quotes that were never uttered like:
"I want to suck your blood."
"You dirty rat. You killed my brother"
"Play it again, Sam."

And the most blasphemous of all... Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty."

This reminds me of the "famous" movie quotes that were never uttered like:
"I want to suck your blood."
"You dirty rat. You killed my brother"
"Play it again, Sam."

And the most blasphemous of all... Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty."
Some of those are there, well more mixup ones like the "play it again, sam" one rather than one that were flat out never said. The most famous being Darth Vader saying "No, i am your father" instead of "Luke, i am your father". SPOILERS!

Holy crap i agree with this one, i don't remember Scarecrow having a gun:

Many people swear he didn't

Watch the Wizard of Oz today and you clearly see the Scarecrow brandishing a modern Magnum 357, painted silver.

Did he have this in the original? It's pretty prominent now, and clearly doesn't appear as just a quick glimpse which might be hard to spot.

Although many are sure he didn't, there may be an explanation for this particular Mass Memory Discrepancy Effect. The original 1939 film reel was stored incorrectly and subject to damage over time. Since then, several restoration attempts have been made resulting in different cuts. It's possible these cuts contained different scenes, including the Scarecrows gun. It would fit the story if he had one, because the other characters are all armed, and at that point in the plot are preparing to fight, or defend themselves.

Lots of scrutiny

One reason people are sure he didn't have a gun is the fact that the Wizard of Oz is so popular it has been recreated in stages/theatres etc may times, and those playing the roles would have studied the film closely to get the parts right. Those details mattered, and if the scarecrow had no gun in the film, then it wouldn't in the play, so the directors and actors would remember it.
I'm guessing the restoration theory is right coz i really don't remember that. Also i have to stop reading these haha.

"Jackie fired the shot and quickly put the gun behind the car seat."
I knew it! She always seemed shifty!

Okay, I watched a couple videos on the Mandela Effect, and some claim it's not just a memory issue, but an actual quantum physics issue involving reality shifting, changing and alternate realities switching places! All that string theory stuff. No wonder this stuff was on Coast to Coast!

I remember when I used to do art work, I'd put a pencil down, then couldn't find it, I'd spend a half hour looking for it, going along the floor, scanning my drawing board, checking my pencil holders... then I'd look and the pencil would be right on top of the T-Square where I put it and where I looked like 7 times! I used to theorize that it slipped into an alternate dimension and another version of myself was using it!

You can't win an argument just by being right!
where the FBI tracked the celebrations to suspected terrorist sympathizers that they arrested in JERSEY CITY as that was reported on by local news and documented by the FBI!

Arrested for what? Allegedly dancing on a roof? Keep up! Name the thousands and thousands arrested for dancing, and dont give me murdoch style gutter press.

Okay, I watched a couple videos on the Mandela Effect, and some claim it's not just a memory issue, but an actual quantum physics issue involving reality shifting, changing and alternate realities switching places! All that string theory stuff. No wonder this stuff was on Coast to Coast!
Yes, that's the main theory. It's like the Simpsons episode where Homer goes back in the past and everytime he kills an animal something changes in the present There's also theories that it's the government to make us doubt our brains or some nonsense.

You might like this podcast btw - http://mysteriousuniverse.org/tag/podcast/

Sounds like the same sort of thing as the show you're talking about. Listened to a few episodes, it's pretty interesting at times but i've heard the older ones were better.

They are pretty fun, but i've always found the people who actually believe in the Mandela Effect really arrogant more than anything else. It's basically people that can't accept that their brain had something wrong so there must be some elaborate scheme to trip them up.
Oh yeah, no argument here. Directly interacting with them is AWFUL, even when the subject matter looks really silly.

It's also a bummer because it hijacked the ability to talk about the actual effect too. As in, it's kinda weird how specific ones seem to spread. Almost like subconscious urban legends.

Oh yeah, no argument here. Directly interacting with them is AWFUL, even when the subject matter looks really silly.

It's also a bummer because it hijacked the ability to talk about the actual effect too. As in, it's kinda weird how specific ones seem to spread. Almost like subconscious urban legends.
Yep they are infuriating. The funniest one to me is people thinking there was a movie in the 90's about a genie starring Sinbad called Shazam. Obviously people are mixing it up with Kazaam with Shaq, most likely unintended racism "all black people look the same" kinda thing, i'm guessing the majority of them only saw the poster or whatever as a kid, i had an argument with someone about that (who like i was guessing there hadn't seen it yet insisted it was real) and i came out ashamed of myself that i had wasted my time on something that stupid