Halloween Horror Challenge

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Ghost Ship (Steve Beck, 2002)
+ A salvage crew discovers a long-lost ship and decides to claim it, but they encounter psychic phenomena and gold on board. Schizophrenic horror flick mixes psychological suspense, gore and light fantasy.

Dead Souls (Colin Theys, 2012)
Cheap, but semi-interesting, film about a young man who finds out he’s adopted and inherits a house which starts a whole magilla of trouble.

Blood from the Mummy’s Tomb (Seth Holt, 1971)
+ Slightly-better than normal Hammer mummy flick, mainly because gorgeous Valerie Loren plays two roles but also because there’s better professionalism.

Mad Love (Karl Freund, 1935)
Mostly an average ‘30s horror film elevated by Peter Lorre as a mad surgeon who transplants a knife-throwing killer’s hands onto a renowned concert pianist who was disfigured. This look rocks.

The Birds (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963)
Romantic comedy with eeriness that slowly and inexorably turns to dread when birds get together and kick the stuffing out of us measly humans. The subjective camerawork looking up the stairs near the end may be the scariest scene Hitch ever filmed.

The Haunting (Robert Wise, 1963)
Atmospheric and genuinely-scary haunted house flick must be watched in the dark. Only flaws are some poor music placement ln a couple of scenes and the comedy relief. Julie Harris is extraordinary.

Wicked Little Things (JS Cardone, 2006)
+ Better-than-average, fast-paced nonsense about a family staying in a cabin and finding out there are both zombies and ghosts on the loose in the area, based in a local mine.

95 Movies
100 Points

A magilla? I'd never heard that word before. Is that the common useage for it?

Love The Haunting, as you know. That and The Inncoents in just a few days of each other? Good work, my man.

Also, congrats on hitting the 100 point mark. I also share you appreciation of Valerie.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Fog Far from Carpenter's best but creepy enough in the beginning. It scared the crap out of me when I was little, but it doesn't hold up so well now. Does anyone know if The Sea Grass was used in another movie for something? It seems like I've heard it recently but I can't place it.

Wrong Turn Wanted to watch it after seeing it in TUS's thread. Held up well. I had forgotten much of it so I didn't know exactly what was coming which was nice.

Movies watched 26, points 33

Seed of Chucky (Dan Mancini, 2004)
+ Some easy laughs by being so self-referential, and some moments of gore, but surprisingly not as fun as it could be.

Jacob’s Ladder (Adrian Lyne, 1990)
Tim Robbins returns from Vietnam and finds his life one long nightmare. When he investigates, things only get worse. Bruce Joel Rubin, the scripter of Ghost, shows a much darker side for most of the film.

A Night at the Movies: The Horrors of Stephen King (Laurent Bouzereau, 2011)
King talks about what makes horror films popular and the themes hidden within them. Nothing earth-shattering but King knows movie history, although he has his prejudices and blind spots too.

Dark Mirror (Pablo Proenza, 2007)
A family moves into a house when the photographer wife finds herself deeply attracted to something about it. She starts to see what appears to be an alternate universe in her bathroom mirror where murders occur and eventually she even sees another version of herself. Interesting story is basically developed as too simple a horror flick.

Scary or Die (Michael Emanuel, Bob Badway & Igor Meglic, 2012)
Five-part horror anthology varies in quality but overall is an OK way to kill 90 minutes. Not too gory, it tries to be old-school horror in many ways, but is undone by mediocre material.

Splice (Vincenzo Natali, 2009)
+ Two scientists genetically splice DNA from various animals, and then add human genetic material to the mix, making the result evolve from an experiment to an offspring and creating a new form of family. Sci-fi goes in several interesting but untidy directions, resulting in full-blooded horror.

The Sandman (Paul Berry, 1991)
Ten-minute stop-motion short about a boy being sent to his upstairs bedroom, and the creepy moon-faced Sandman trying to secretly steal something from him. Seamless combo of technique and story.

102 Movies
107 Points

Lord High Filmquisitor
The Purge: Anarchy - 7.5/10

Although over-crowded with one too many plot lines, this was far and away superior to the still-good The Purge. It delved a lot further into the inherent class warfare of the world in which it is set, has a much expanded scope and even managed to nab a solid up-and-coming action-oriented lead. I really was hoping that this was going to be a more Punisher-styled film, with the protagonist purging purgers and saving their victims as his sole mission for the night and really wished that they held off the government subsidy of purging for the main plot of the third film, but the end result was still more than adequit.

Friday the 13th - 8/10

I want to thank whoever realized that there was enough good material between the first three movies of the franchise (none of which was, by themselves, good) to make one good movie. The resulting remake is the only good Friday the 13th movie, in my opinion (excempting the crossover Freddy vs Jason, which got a low 7/10). This is how to make a good horror remake, especially when the original really doesn't give you all that much to work with.

The Bates Haunting - 2.5/10

It's a tangled mess of a narrative that fails to explain why anybody is actually doing what they are doing. The scares are ineffective and the horror as cheap as you would expect. Definitely avoid if you can.

Delicatessen - 7.5/10

I was surprised how comedic this film actually was. I was expecting a nonmusical Sweeney Todd and ended up with a cross between that and Benny & Joon. It was incredibly well directed and well acted, but I can't help but find the script just so-so. The subterranian bandit plot line was just a little too silly for me.

Total Movies Seen: 12

Total Points Accumulated: 13

The Inheritance (Robert O’Hara, 2011)
+ Five African-American cousins meet and find out what their inheritance is and what they have to do to obtain it. Incoherent hodgepodge of slavery, voodoo, human sacrifice and idiocy never amounts to much of anything.

War of the Colossal Beast (Bert I. Gordon, 1958)
+ Sequel to Gordon’s The Amazing Colossal Man contains his usual crummy writing, direction, acting and F/X. This time the 60-foot-tall military victim of a nuclear bomb blast is wandering the Mexican desert with brain damage, one eye and wearing a giant diaper! The U.S. government wants nothing to do with his bodily functions.

Playback (Michael A. Nickles, 2012)
A multiple-murderer, news footage of his story, his motherless baby nephew, a teenager from his town making a video recreation of his story, a possession, other weird videotapes, Christian Slater as a policeman pervert. What does it mean? Nothing that makes sense, but kinda fun in a stupid way.

The Return of the Vampire (Lew Landers, 1944)
A WWII bomb opens Bela Lugosi’s grave in London, and soon vampires and werewolves are running around again. Standard ‘40s B-horror flick with more professionalism than creative writing, although it does have a “cute” ending.

House of Dark Shadows (Dan Curtis, 1970)
- Film version/alternate universe/CliffsNotes of the cult soap opera “Dark Shadows” moves along at a good pace and gives many of the highlights of the show. Maybe too fast to make sense to the novice and kinda pointless for the veteran watcher but atmospheric and scary due to Curtis’ kamikaze style.

Dracula aka Horror of Dracula (Terence Fisher, 1958)
+ One of the best versions of Dracula and one of the best Hammer horrors with iconic performances by Christopher Lee (offscreen most of the time) and Peter Cushing. It still suffers from the basic longueurs of the Stoker story but better-paced than most all versions. Jonathan Harker really screwed up early on by staking the woman vampire before the Count!

108 Movies
113 Points

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Mama I don't care what anyone says this movie is creepy and scary as hell. Quickly becoming one of my favorite horror movies.

Movies 27 points 34

Mama is more funny than scary imo... but it's not bad..

watched Identity yesterday and i really liked it. a lot of fun. the twists range from great to dumb to just predictable, but whatever.

also just watched The Shining for the first time and it's basically my new favorite movie of all time.

movies: 4

Dracula: Prince of Darkness (Terence Fisher, 1966)
- Wouldn’t you know it? Dracula can apparently control his horse-drawn carriage and servant from beyond the grave, and when fresh British blood is supplied 10 years after his demise, he returns to the corporeal plane. Pretty good atmosphere, but basically a replay with no real plot, and even less Dracula than the last one.

Dracula Has Risen from the Grave (Freddie Francis, 1968)
This one has lots of new characters, but they are a dull lot. There’s more sexiness and a lot more blood at the end, but it’s still mostly blah.

Dead of Night (Four Directors, 1945)
Probably the first and the best of the horror anthologies. Wonderful circular structure, several chills, topped by ventriloquist episode and surrealistic finale. Loads of fun on Halloween or any other day.

Twice-Told Tales (Sidney Salkow, 1963)
Three Nathaniel Hawthorne stories, horrored up, all starring Vincent Price. I saw this at the theatre when I was seven, and the third story was really scary – walls and ceilings cracking with blood coming out, a pickaxe to somebody’s head, water turning to blood, etc. It’s still pretty good 50 years later.

The House That Dripped Blood (Peter Duffell, 1971)
Another horror anthology I saw at the theatre – there were so many! This one has a really good cast (Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, Ingrid Pitt, Denholm Elliott, Joss Ackland, etc.) in an uneven set of stories, probably the best of which is about the fussy actor (John Pertwee) who wants a better costume and buys a cloak which seems to really put him in the role he’s playing – a vampire.

Torture Garden (Freddie Francis, 1967)
Burgess Meredith hosts a carnival show where people’s futures are told and shown. The best story is again the last where Jack Palance haggles with Peter Cushing over an Edgar Allan Poe keepsake.

Swamp Thing (Wes Craven, 1982)
Ray Wise turns into a half man/half plant in this comic book adaptation, and he does battle with evil doctor Louis Jourdan while trying to protect Adrienne Barbeau. Lighter-than-usual Craven outing is still plenty gloomy but good for a few laughs.

115 Movies
120 Points

I watched Dracula: Prince of Darkness a week or so ago. I'd not seen it for ages, but your mention of the coach picking up the tourists was exactly how I felt watching it. Really looks like it's shot in a park, too.

The House That Dripped Blood I think I only saw for the first time this year. Pertwee at the end is really funny.