Best Of The Year/Every Year

Tools    

This might just do nobody any good.
Some favorite scores and musical moments:

1. Under the Skin by Mica Levi (her work on this alone is more effective than most entire horror movies.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c7rY10hY8Cw

2. Interstellar by Hans Zimmer (the hate towards the man is overdone. The heights it reaches during the docking scene are a highlight of both his and Nolan’s filmographies.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DITy3T2BgbI

3. Whiplash by Justin Hurwitz
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mHEHq-qsVdA

4. A Most Violent Year by Alex Ebert
https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL-...&v=5V08nb40vAM

Moments:

Phoenix - ending. That is how you mic drop.

Whiplash - ending. Joyous almost feels like an understatement. In multiple viewing, though I still feel the urge to applaud, I see the darker side to the display from Andrew and Fletcher’s look. It’s not pride or new found respect (not entirely), it’s two rivals realizing the fight has just begun. Andrew moved up in the weight class and Fletcher is itching to let loose.

The Guest - use of Annie’s “Antonio (Berlin Breakdown version)”. On par with Drive’s use of Kavinsky’s “Nightcall.”

Inherent Vice - Vitamin C opening.

Guardians of the Galaxy - Come and Get Your Love and the use of Bowie’s Moonage Daydream to introduce the film’s second act which takes place inside the mined out head of a celestial being.

Oh, and, of course...

Performances 2015

Supporting Actor Idris Elba-Beasts Of No Nation

Supporting Actress: Greta Gerwig-Mistress America

Lead Actor: Jason Segal-The End Of The Tour

Lead Actress: Elizabeth Moss-Queen Of The Earth

Performances 2014

Supporting Actress: Saorise Ronan-Grand Budapest Hotel

Supporting Actor: JK Simmons-Whiplash

Lead Actress: Alicia Vikander- Ex-Machina

Lead Actor: Jake Gylenhall-Nightcrawler

Should try Mistress America. I loved Frances Ha and Gerwig in it so much.
I thought it was very underrated but I think I qualify as a fanboy at this point.

This might just do nobody any good.
I should give Mistress America another go. I liked it but I did not see it in the best conditions.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
2014 Best Supporting Actor

Here are my nominees:

Mark Ruffalo- Foxcatcher
Channing Tatum- Foxcatcher
Michael Caine- Interstellar
Ed Norton- Birdman

With the winner, Ethan Hawke- Boyhood

You can't win an argument just by being right!
*Backing out of thread before I exsanguinate via my eyeballs.

Best Supporting Actress 2014

Ok so I really can't fill out five but it will be funny to do so

The nominees:
Emma Stone-Birdman
Jessica Chastain- Interstellar
Angelina Jolie- Maleficent
Danielle Panabaker- Time Lapse

With the winner being:

Patricia Arquette- Boyhood

I really need to see Boyhood again. Still in my ten for that year but it keeps losing ground in my mind. Great film though.

Best Actor

Here are my nominees

David Oyelowo- Selma
Matthew McConnaughey- Interstellar
Steve Carell- Foxcatcher
Ben Affleck- Gone Girl

With the winner being:

Jake Gyllenhaal- Nightcrawler

Best Actress 2014

Here are the nominees. A weak field of what I've seen but I got a lot to view yet:

Jennifer Lawrence- X Men: Days of Future Past
Anne Dorval- Mommy
Amy Adams- Big Eyes
Anne Hathaway- Interstellar

And the winner of best actress for 2014:

Rosamund Pike- Gone Girl

I liked Pike a bit better watching Gone Girl a second time when we did Fincher. I still don't love the performance like other fans of the film do but I did think it was better looking at it through the eyes of her deception from start to finish. Still, very good movie and I can't fault the choice as I seem to be very much in the minority on it.

I still need to see Vikander in Ex Machina. I loved Annihilation by the same director.
I will be surprised if you don't like it. Pretty different film than Annihilation though. I have been wanting to see it again. Don't own it yet though so kind of waiting for it to show up on Netflix or something.

I liked Pike a bit better watching Gone Girl a second time when we did Fincher. I still don't love the performance like other fans of the film do but I did think it was better looking at it through the eyes of her deception from start to finish. Still, very good movie and I can't fault the choice as I seem to be very much in the minority on it.
I honestly think she was awful and still did the second time, may have been even more annoyed then actually. It's an alright film though, it's really well directed.

I honestly think she was awful and still did the second time, may have been even more annoyed then actually. It's an alright film though, it's really well directed.
Hmm that's strange to me, but to each their own

Best Actress 2014

Here are the nominees. A weak field of what I've seen but I got a lot to view yet:

Essie Davis in The Babadook