1 pesky sciuridae, 504 leaps, an unknown number of fillums

Tools    

I Know Where I'm Going! is one of my wife Brenda's favorite movies.
Now I feel bad I didn't like it that little bit more - tell her I nearly gave it a
, maybe that'll help a little?

Ok - sorry I spoke - my bad

p.s. thanks for reminding me I left off the exclamation mark!

22nd May:
125. Faintheart (Vito Rocco - 2008, tv)
+
Atypically lighthearted and silly modern British romantic comedy about an historical reenactment enthusiast trying to win back his wife that follows a well worn path of emotional manipulation but does manage to garner a number of smiles along the way and the secondary story involving his son is one most can surely relate to.

126. Nikita [La femme Nikita] (Luc Besson - 1990, dvd)
+
French action thriller that is not just a stylish 'assassin' movie with both tension and intense action scenes but also a tale of tenderness and love.

23rd May:
127. Weird Science (John Hughes - 1985, tv)

Teen coming-of-age comedy that may well be a guilty pleasure for some but sadly just doesn't do much for me really.

128. Elegy (Isabel Coixet - 2008, tv)
+
Slow but well acted and at times genuinely moving drama that centres on the effect on a mature college professor of an intimate relationship he has with one of his recent students from initial desire purely for sexual conquest to full-blown love affair.

23rd May:
127. Weird Science (John Hughes - 1985, tv)

Teen coming-of-age comedy that may well be a guilty pleasure for some but sadly just doesn't do much for me really.
Maybe if you first saw it in your teens?

Maybe if you first saw it in your teens?
Perhaps but I was already out of my teens when it was released and to be honest I never really enjoyed Porky's either so probably not ... sorry, just not my type of film

24th May:
129. Stoker (Chan-wook Park - 2013, tv)

Beautifully shot and aesthetically pleasing dark drama from my favourite modern Asian director making the move to Hollywood that is enjoyable even if it does feel a little subdued at times.

25th May:
130. The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson - 2012, tv)

Thoroughly absorbing drama that has great attention to detail in terms of period and two central performances that both anchor and propel the whole thing along with that from Joaquin Phoenix being utterly compelling.

131. Sunset Blvd. (aka Sunset Boulevard) (Billy Wilder - 1950, dvd)
+
Delightful dark drama with excellent performances all round, especially Gloria Swanson, and a Wilder script - what's not to like?

26th May:
132. Bound (Lana Wachowski & Lilly Wachowski - 1996, tv)

Stylish 'modern' film-noir that contains an Interesting twist on the genre with the femme fatale seducing a female ex-con in order to rip off the mob. The chemistry between the two leads is very good and both acting and dialogue are generally fine but sadly Jennfer Tilly's character always brings Betty Boop to mind which does detract from proceedings a little for me.

133. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (Carl Reiner - 1982, tv)

Comedy-noir that intermingles modern and vintage footage and whilst the gags are a bit variable the interplay between Steve Martin and characters from yesteryear is managed beautifully and imo a delight to watch.

27th May:
134. Sansho The Bailiff [Sanshô dayû] (Kenji Mizoguchi - 1954, dvd)

Powerful Japanese period drama that is beautifully made and successfully manages to be both almost unbearably desolate yet spiritually uplifting at the same time.

I liked Bound a lot back in the 90's. I don't think I've seen it since.
I'd not seen it for many years either and despite remembering it with affection was a little surprised I'd forgotten just how good it was on rewatch tbh. I'd definitely say revisit it if you liked it at the time.

28th May:
135. Anatomy Of A Murder (Otto Preminger - 1959, dvd)

Excellent crime/courtroom drama which has some lovely dialogue and interplay and ultimately leaves things up to the viewer to decide as to whether or not justice was done.

Some good movies you've seen recently.

Oh yea, I love Tilly!
Fret not - I'll more than likely redress that shortly

Don't get me wrong about Tilly - I'm quite partial myself but in Bound a combination of the hair and voice do just cause my brain to make that connection

29th May:
136. Escape Plan (Mikael Håfström - 2013, tv)
+
Action thriller that doesn't really bear close scrutiny and isn't shy of using familiar tropes but it's enjoyable enough in a mindless way, doesn't take itself too seriously and on a side note it's nice to see Arnie use his native language and just look so much more natural for a little while