jal90's 50 favorite animated films

→ in
Tools    

something like “Where they cut off your ear if they don’t like a face, it's barbaric, but hey, it's home”.
omg,I'm watching it

Aladdin and Wall-E are two very good films, but Millennium Actress is absolutely STUNNING!
It's probably in my top 3 favorite animated movies I've ever seen. It's brilliantly made. You practically said it all in your post: It has a wonderful surrealistic way of storytelling, beautiful images and details, an extremely interesting character study and of course, as you mentioned, one of the most effective endings I've ever witnessed in an animation picture.

Great choices!

9. The Plague Dogs
Martin Rosen, 1982

If there is one word I would use to define The Plague Dogs, it would be devastating. This tale from the perspective of two dogs who escape from a laboratory is one of the darkest stories about the worst side of the human condition, as well as a heavy criticism on animal suffering for the sake of science and investigation (a topic that affects me personally -I have studied Biology and done a lot of lab work- and is at the very least a touchy moral issue).

The humans in this story are paradoxically dehumanized. Their faces are very rarely shown, and when they are, they appear to be cold, generic and interchangeable. On the contrary, the story follows the two main dogs through the whole story. They do have clear personalities, but in a different vein than the Disney formula. Following a realistic drawing in the design as well as in the gestures, the attitudes of these characters are the reflection of their suffering and traumas. Rowf is the older, more cynical and more openly hateful of any human; while Snitter is more ingenuous as well as livelier, despite actually being the one who's gone through more suffering during the experiments. I don't want to spoil in this issue, but seeing the development of both dogs and how this initial description relates to the end is probably what makes this movie more sad and depressing.

The artwork may not be impressive, but it is effective enough. It aims for a gritty realism, with a rather dull color palette, to bring a dark and unsettling atmosphere and reinforce the hostility of the places they go through. And it becomes specially effective at the ending, when it manages to create a dreamy and -to a point- peaceful atmosphere in a suffocating environment.

8. Perfect Blue
Satoshi Kon, 1997

Perfect Blue is the first movie directed by Satoshi Kon and in my opinion the absolute best of one of the most regular directors in the cinema history.

The greatest quality about this psychological thriller lies in its ambiguity. It has been compared very often to David Lynch, but I think there is a very relevant difference. Mulholland Drive or Lost highway are interpretable, that is, they offer storylines that use an amount of tricks, mistaking dream with reality and subjective with objective views, but they still have a solution to the enigma and the audience has to aim for it. Perfect Blue on the other hand... is ambiguous from the beginning to the very end. When the movie finishes there is not a single human way to know what part of the story is real and what part is invented; it could be the case that every relevant event actually happened, but also that Mima was never a J-pop star to start with. And any case in between. The reason for this is that this whole movie is told through a subjective experience, and Mima is not a reliable narrator. She is supposed to have a mental disease that disallows her from differentiating between dream and reality. Since the movie always speaks from her mind, it turns equally equivocal in everything it narrates. For example, towards the end of the movie there is a plot revelation that many people accept as a valid solution. However I don't see anything in the movie that tells me specifically that this moment is more real than the rest of the experience.

I admit that my love for the movie comes with my own preferences in storytelling, as I'm very much into psychological thrillers of characters whose perception is screwed up. They feel particularly intense for me and this is not an exception.

On the other hand, even if the storytelling is actually purposely ambiguous, the message is rather clear and one of the reasons why I find this movie unique, specially, in the context of anime. In fact I think that this one and Only yesterday are the only anime films I have watched which display a direct feminist discourse, at least in such a clear way. While Miyazaki for example is a self-declared feminist, his feminism in movies is more methodological, as in how to portray the heroines and the female villains. However these two movies deal with specific problems of women in the Japanese society. In the case of Perfect Blue, it is on the culture of idols, the objectification and the obsession for maintaining the "purity". Mima in this context is described as a weak character, one that is, to a point, driven by this mindset, and actually feels guilty about her own personal decisions because they are disappointing her fans.

All in all, and whatever interpretation I could end up reaching, Perfect Blue is an emotional rollercoaster and an awesome narrative exercise that breaks the limits between fantasy and reality. Its 80 minutes are, in their entirety, an incredibly intense and breathtaking experience that I could watch over and over again.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I liked Perfect Blue, but I thought it could have been even more ambiguous and surreal. I guess I was one of those who took the revelation as the solution.

As to Plague Dogs; I thought it was a very good movie but absolutely nothing in this world will make me watch it again. It wrecks me.

This is another list I need to catch up on. It looks like a lot of movies I love are in here.

As to Plague Dogs; I thought it was a very good movie but absolutely nothing in this world will make me watch it again. It wrecks me.
you make me so curious :[

Must be doin sumthin right
Fantastic list and write-ups and I was trying to think of a way to argue with your point about the whole Perfect Blue/Lynch thing but you're right because by the end of Perfect Blue there isn't even a way to tell who the "real person" is. There are different interpretations sure but none as clear cut as those Lynch films, especially MD

The funny thing, Godoggo, is that I had the exact same reaction on my first viewing. And actually the explanation seemed fine to me. The problem, I think, is that while it's fine, there are many alternatives that are too and that I didn't consider when I first watched it.

Of course that is my opinion... there are many people who disagree and can defend the existence of a clear solution with very well-brought arguments.

Thanks for your comment, Upton, by the way

And now, what about another entry?

7. Whisper of the heart
Yoshifumi Kondo, 1995

The biggest problem Whisper of the heart has ever had is depicting a teen romance. The amount of times I have read that this movie is just for teen girls is incredibly high; and what I find specially difficult to explain is that it can be put in contrast with the "wider" appeal of Spirited away, which deals with very similar -I'd say they are the most closely related in Ghibli- themes.

I don't need to say that I disagree with this statement, and I disagree first and firemost because this movie, to me, is not -or more exactly, not only- a teen romance. The relationship between Seiji and Shizuku moves at its own pace, it is not the main focus in the story. The plot is about Shizuku going through a specific period in her life, and what she finds in this transition.

It is probably idealistic, but it is in the sense that it doesn't let external elements influence on the development of its point. That is, Shizuku seems to have a perfectly healthy life, her family understands and supports her, she has her friends, goes fine at school... however this lack of relevant conflicts in her daily life only helps to reinforce the fact that she's changing, and she needs to deal with this change alone, as a mean of self-demonstration.

Shizuku is one of the most relatable characters I have ever found in a movie. Her perception of her own changes comes off as very easily identifiable through the whole process. Similarly, in the new situations she finds her answers are rather natural and easy to understand. Her decision to take the example of Seiji and try to push her limits to write a tale is not only a perfect follow-up to her naturally curious character, but a rather poetic way to describe her process of maturity.

In general, the biggest quality of this movie is its sense of naturality. There is a specially exhaustive focus on making the scenes and reactions feel real and down-to-earth; the characters change their mood through the events, but they don't change their essence and personality. For example, Shizuku after a depressing situation may feel sad for a while, but she doesn't magically turn into a depressive character for that reason alone.

This focus is translated as well to the level of detail. It is a common thing in many Ghibli movies to depict little instances of gestures and movements that are unnecessary to reach the main point of the scenes they are depicting, and could be considered in that sense a waste of frames, but help a lot on making them look real and relatable through this way too. There is a scene where Shizuku is reading at her bed and decides to switch off the lamp; since she doesn't reach it, she has to get up. That little situation doesn't have any significance in the story or the character development, however it is depicted with the same care that is shown for the rest of the narration.

Contrarily to other Ghibli movies, and specially to Miyazaki, who is responsible for the screenplay in this case, this one has very few instances of fantasy and supernatural elements, and they are always very perfectly delimited as fictional elements; for instance, as a visualization of the tale that Shizuku is writing. These little scenes are of course rich and imaginative, however the biggest artistic quality of this series is in its ability to extract a portrait that feels magic and lively from a perfectly mundane city. The level of detail and embellishment put into describing that setting is mesmerizing.

Technically there is very little to complain about, if there is anything. It is one of the most well-balanced works of animation I have ever seen and is imbued with the naturality and thoroughly descriptive philosophy of the whole movie. The music choice may be surprising, but I think it works as it is very well inserted into the story. The main song, Country roads, is rare in the sense that it doesn't seem to fit with Japanese themes and culture, but in fact one of my favorite parts of this story is the introductory sequence, which uses this song as we follow a panoramic view of the city at night while getting increasingly closer to the focus of the main character.

Damn, this got a little long. But I can't help it, I'm too fond of this movie, partly due to its high quality of course, but also for very personal reasons.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
you make me so curious :[
Watch it at your own risk. I bawled and bawled and cried for awhile after that anytime I thought of it. I've read the book too. Same reaction.

The funny thing, Godoggo, is that I had the exact same reaction on my first viewing. And actually the explanation seemed fine to me. The problem, I think, is that while it's fine, there are many alternatives that are too and that I didn't consider when I first watched it.

Of course that is my opinion... there are many people who disagree and can defend the existence of a clear solution with very well-brought arguments
I've only seen it the one time, but now I want to watch it again to see if I find it so clear cut this time. Regardless, I still really liked it and anime is very hit or miss with me.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i'm sure I'd bawled like crazy too for plague dogs

and great write up on whisper of the heart. Its great to see someone who is passionate and caught up in all nuances of a given film, VERY cool