Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Princess Mononoke
+

I might give it higher, but I am going to wait a bit and watch other Studio Ghibli films too, but I really enjoyed it, fantastic film.
Miyazaki's best imo, out of the five I've seen. I give it the same rating too.

I am not such a huge fan of Princess Mononoke to be honest.
It's exceptionally well made and yes, it overwhelmed me in terms of its grandeur, but thematically it wasn't that interesting to me. It was a bit too action driven and monstrous for my tastes, I think. I'm a bigger fan of Studio Ghibli's more intimate works.
That's probably just me, though.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Miyazaki's best imo, out of the five I've seen. I give it the same rating too.
One of Miyazaki's weaker and more heavy handed affairs. It's predictably beautiful, but thematically dull. Totoro is best.

One of Miyazaki's weaker and more heavy handed affairs. It's predictably beautiful, but thematically dull. Totoro is best.
I found Totoro to be one-dimensional, and it has too much happiness for my taste. Out of those that I've seen (I've also seen Spirited Away, Porco Rosso and Kiki), I enjoyed Mononoke the most because it's a more serious film aimed at more mature audiences, unlike Totoro for instance, which is aimed at little girls.

KICK-ASS

I enjoyed the film a lot more than I thought I would. With the recent onslaught of comic book adaptations, I thought this would be yet another coin in the fountain, but surprisingly it stood out, mostly due to its comedic tone and lack of epic scale typically associated with comic book adaptations. Moretz, Taylor-Johnson, and Mintz-Plasse stood out as fitting naturally into their roles, with Moretz a clear standout. Nick Cage didn't do much for me, though. Looking forward to seeing Part 2 when it comes out on DVD.

I loved Princess Mononoke. Sometimes, you need something more adult, and this movie just did it for me. My favourite from him, for sure.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Finished here. It's been fun.

9.2/10 - Masterpiece. woah, what a captivating masterful film. Wow

and

7.5/10- It's a gorgeous looking film, and the scores by Ennio Morricone are always fantastic but I'm just not a huge fan of Westerns.This film was good, but I did not love it.

I found Totoro to be one-dimensional, and it has too much happiness for my taste. Out of those that I've seen (I've also seen Spirited Away, Porco Rosso and Kiki), I enjoyed Mononoke the most because it's a more serious film aimed at more mature audiences, unlike Totoro for instance, which is aimed at little girls.
That's just being narrow minded, I think. It's like saying we are little girls for liking Totoro better than Mononoke. Calling Totoro one-dimensional is also kind of strange to me, to be honest.

I thought Totoro was a much more succesful effort than Princess Mononoke. I also liked Spirited Away and Porco Rosso better and possibly even Kiki's Delivery Service.

Princess Mononoke seemed more like an epic movie with some war, violence and some fantasy put together. I admit that it's beautiful to look at, but every theme of the film is kind of a recycling of what he'd done before in his earlier films (especially in Castle in the Sky and Nausicaä).

I can see why you'd like Princess Mononoke better than his other films, but calling My Neighbor Totoro aimed at little girls, isn't the right way to express that. I agree that little girls will probably like Totoro a lot better than Princess Mononoke, because it's much more suitable for children, but honestly, it's also much more suitable for me. It offers more insights when you're older.

Totoro is basically Miyazaki's views on religion, it's aimed at kids but its still the most naturalistic film stylistically and thematically he's made. Mononoke is aimed at older audiences, but thematically it's more childish and straightforward compared to his oeuvre.

KICK-ASS

I enjoyed the film a lot more than I thought I would. With the recent onslaught of comic book adaptations, I thought this would be yet another coin in the fountain, but surprisingly it stood out, mostly due to its comedic tone and lack of epic scale typically associated with comic book adaptations. Moretz, Taylor-Johnson, and Mintz-Plasse stood out as fitting naturally into their roles, with Moretz a clear standout. Nick Cage didn't do much for me, though. Looking forward to seeing Part 2 when it comes out on DVD.
He was funny! Although yeah, he was not THAT standout, especially since everything in that movies is so way over the top. But he has his moments. "TAKE COVER, CHILD!"

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Hum...

Not great. I don't know what to say about it really. Did I think it was corny and totally manipulative? Yeah. Am I a total wuss and was watery-eyed in the final segment? Yep.

I thought it was extremely disjointed. Basically it's a rom-com, but it's not sure what kind of rom-com it wants to be. It started with this sort of dry satiric comedy, then it leaned towards the more Seth Rogen type comedy (minus gross out) and then it came down to this basically dramatic, emotional type ending. And hey, sometimes these opposite styles and sudden tone changes work. In this one, for me, it didn't.

I was really into the whole final section. The funny parts weren't funny enough, and again, it was all very tonally disjointed. Plus, the Steve Carell-Keira Knightley (I don't like her for some reason, no idea why, but here I sort of did) thing didn't feel too natural either. And in some ways I felt I was watching the Jim Carrey-Kate Winslet relationship from Eternal Sunshine. On the other hand, if a movie puts a lump in my throat, it's gotta be doing something right.

So, yeah, that's what I thought. I just don't hate most movies, what can you do?

I just don't hate most movies, what can you do?
Don't do anything. I'm jealous. I can hate a film before it's made, let alone before I've seen it.

Can one of you explain to me how Princess Mononoke is 'thematically dull'? Being serious, if one of you could explain this to me instead of just stating it so I can see if I agree or not?

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Don't do anything. I'm jealous. I can hate a film before it's made, let alone before I've seen it.
This is why you hate most of the films I like

Some of the films I watch are terrible I will give you that. But sometimes you need to watch rubbish
How are you supposed to know good movies if you don't see mediocre or bad films sometimes too!

Can one of you explain to me how Princess Mononoke is 'thematically dull'? Being serious, if one of you could explain this to me instead of just stating it so I can see if I agree or not?
I didn't say it was 'dull' (you were probably addressing Bluedeed, anyway), but I just thought that the themes didn't offer anything exceptional or fresh. He did it all before.
"Humanity isn't in harmony with nature." "War is bad." Watch Nausicaä for instance and you'll maybe see what I mean.
The reason why most people love this, is probably because this film has this incredibly epic quality to it, but I'm just not that much of a sucker for epics, if the only interesting thing (for me) about the film is the grandeur. I'm also not a huge fan of LOTR for the same reason, for instance.
It's something personal, I think. I just like certain themes better than others. It's not really genuine criticism towards the film itself.

I didn't say it was 'dull' (you were probably addressing Bluedeed, anyway), but I just thought that the themes didn't offer anything exceptional or fresh. He did it all before.
"Humanity isn't in harmony with nature." "War is bad." Watch Nausicaä for instance and you'll maybe see what I mean.
The reason why most people love this, is probably because this film has this incredibly epic quality to it, but I'm just not that much of a sucker for epics, if the only interesting thing (for me) about the film is the grandeur. I'm also not a huge fan of LOTR for the same reason, for instance.
It's something personal, I think. I just like certain themes better than others. It's not really genuine criticism towards the film itself.
I didn't mean it as a criticism, I was just wondering if you could expand seeing as you guys seem to know the director more than me. But I will say I enjoyed it both as an action/fantasy-epic and as a film which poses thematical/moral questions, however straightforward they may be. Funny that you mentioned Lord of the Rings, when I was watching the film I was reminded of the series a lot, and their are definitely similarities in style. But yeh, maybe I just enjoy action/epic films like this more than you, I don't think a film necessarily has to be complex for it to be great, as long as I enjoy it that's what matters

Also, I just finished watching Nausicaä and you're right that it's incredibly similar thematically, well at least it felt to me. I liked it too and give it:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind (Hayao Miyazaki, 1984)