Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

everything with robert duvall in apocalypse now is gold... but outside of that i'm not nuts about it

francis ford coppola, however, almost went nuts while making it

i agree with those putting Taxi Driver as a legitimate candidate as the greatest movie... yet at this moment i can't put it ahead of Sunset Blvd

Yeah! Troy! Brad Pit is great in that movie. The greatest movie ever must of course be the adaptation of the greatest novel ever!

Talking seriously, I liked Troy, though I don't put it into a top 200 favorites films list.

Damn fine coffee! And hot!
I'm new here, so hello to all :-)

My vote for greatest movie of all time would probably be Mulholland Drive or Blue Velvet. I love those movies, I can watch them over and over again and still see something new.

American Beauty is the name that immediately springs to mind.
The greatest movie of all time or one that you really enjoy?

Well, your favorite movie is the greatest movie of all time. Anyway, my pick for greatest movie of all time has changed 6 times over the past 18 months. Let's see how long PMMM the movie parts 1 & 2 will last.

Well, your favorite movie is the greatest movie of all time.
No, not necessarily. You keep saying this, but as many people have pointed out to you many times, not everyone uses these words interchangeably. I would be glad to explain the distinction again.

Also, whether or not you find the distinction sensible or not is completely separate from whether or not people do, in fact, make the distinction. They clearly do, even though you often insist otherwise.

I don't think I've spoken to anyone on this subject who thinks their favourite movie is also objectively the best, or that such a claim would be remotely justifiable. To my mind a "greatest movie" cannot and does not exist. It's a perpetual debate.

hi im from africa and im new in this good forum im happy to share with you some of my best movies .
The Shawshank Redemption
Forrest Gump
its very nice the 2 movie with good topic . hope and faithful
thank you very much

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
hi im from africa
Since when is Hong Kong in Africa?
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Yoda, you're so right. There's movies in my top 10 that are not great movies. For instance, The Devil's Rejects which I don't compare to what I consider masterpieces like Unforgiven. It's just a movie I enjoy a whole lot and I think is great for what it strives to be. As far as my vote for greatest, it's Goodfellas. That's because it is my favorite and also a film I consider to be a masterpiece.

Yeah, there are a host of factors that can influence what we like, especially the order in which we saw them and how old we were at the time. And while we can grow up and learn that the things we grew up with seem better than they are because we grew up with them, that doesn't mean our affection for them will go away. Ditto for any film that just happens to connect with us at an important time in our life, or mirrors something we've experienced. So it's reasonable to try to distinguish between the feelings we have for movies that are about the movie, and the feelings we have about them that are about us. And most people do that by making a distinction between the films they think are the best, and the films they enjoy the most.

But I don't want to give the impression that this even has to be justified, necessarily. It clearly happens, whether someone finds it reasonable or not. There's no serious way to pretend people don't do this, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to correct them when they do.

@MovieFan31, American Beauty is a movie I really enjoy.I wouldn't settle for just one greatest movie,there are too many and there are too many genres.Another movie I really like is Lost in Translation.

What is the greatest Finnish film? I met a friend from Finland few weeks ago, and it struck me I have never watched a movie from there. Closest i have got is Norway!

Finished here. It's been fun.
Irreversible. 7.9/10 I think this is an extremely dark,bleak, yet very powerful movie. It feels very real and non Hollywood'ish. Shows how no matter what our fates are already pre-determined. It's a terrifying thought, and the film handles it well.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Irreversible. 7.9/10 I think this is an extremely dark,bleak, yet very powerful movie. It feels very real and non Hollywood'ish. Shows how no matter what our fates are already pre-determined. It's a terrifying thought, and the film handles it well.
Think about this for a second.