Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

The bottom vote cut off varies from time to time. Its adjusted regularly. I remember it being 6000 about 1.5 years ago. Now its 25000. So maybe it made an appearance when they reduced the limit.
I see. Anyway, there are many films that would be in the top 250 if they had more votes, including Andrei Rublev (8.2), Ugestu (8.3), Harakiri (8.5), PMMM the movie 2 (8.5), The Human Condition Trilogy (8.5, 8.5, 8.7 for each film).

In a top 10 of war films, I wouldn't place AN, excess doesn't equate to much for me, plus Brando's lines, I thought, were quite ridiculous. I'd much rather watch the documentary.
The Rodent agrees with you.

Though Apocalypse Now is still among my top 2 favorite war movies.

In a way, i dont blame a website for having a bad list, especially when the list is governed by the people. Its just that people dont like to go out of their comfort zone to watch a movie. Like we had a talk about B&W the other day, subtitles and what not. Also we are a bit lavish to dish out 8's and 9's for good films!

If more people saw these movies, it would be a whole different list. Many of the movies which i see on the list, especially from 140 to 250, have no business to be near that list.

The Rodent agrees with you.

Though Apocalypse Now is still among my top 2 favorite war movies.
Schindler's List.
Pianist (not a pure war movie, but something related to the war).
Apocalypse Now.
Then the rest....

If more people saw these movies, it would be a whole different list. Many of the movies which i see on the list, especially from 140 to 250, have no business to be near that list.
To be fair the only top 200 films list that I can agree on is MY LIST. Both the top 250 of the IMDB or the top 250 of the last Sign and Sound poll are good lists featuring many of my favorite movies plus a few movies I don't care about.

It's impossible for someone else to make a top 250 film lists that I can agree on.

1- Roger Ebert
2- The critics who voted for the Sign and Sound poll.
3- I have the impression that experienced film buffs generally appear to prefer Apocalypse Now while less experienced film watchers prefer The Godfather.

Though I imagine that a fan of gangster movies would prefer The Godfather while a fan of war films would prefer Apocalypse Now.
I'd say I'm more a gangster film fan than a war film fan. I love a good crime drama. I'd definitely rewatch AN before TG. I'd sooner rewatch Godfather 2 than Godfather, even. And I'd sooner rewatch Once Upon a Time In America than all three.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

In a top 10 of war films, I wouldn't place AN, excess doesn't equate to much for me, plus Brando's lines, I thought, were quite ridiculous. I'd much rather watch the documentary.
I'd rather watch Heart Of Darkness than Apocalypse Now, too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'd say I'm more a gangster film fan than a war film fan. I love a good crime drama. I'd definitely rewatch AN before TG. I'd sooner rewatch Godfather 2 than Godfather, even. And I'd sooner rewatch Once Upon a Time In America than all three.
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity." - Buzz Lightyear

Both Apocalypse Now and The Godfather are great films which are are classics in their genre yet AN sometimes has these slips like Brando hiding in shadows and overall being,as someone said,over the top.Because of this,the ending is quite overbuilt during the movie.In the Redux version there's that extra scene with a family living in the jungle which in basically useless.

Godfather,in my view,has no mistakes.It's so consistent,every detail matters and there are no extra scenes,nothing is useless,acting is flawless.Maybe it's the perfection that scares the viewers.

Well Godfather first watch was a classic to me. Still is.

But after reading the novel and watching the movie. Its value has dropped for me!

Once Upon a Time in America > Apocalypse Now > The Godfather > The Godfather Part II

In my opinion.

Finished here. It's been fun.
IMO

The godfather>Once upon a time in america>Godfather Part 2>Apocalypse Now

Finished here. It's been fun.
^ Agreed. That and Raging Bull should definitely be in the consideration.

Taxi Driver is a viable candidate for certain. And since we're debating Apocalypse Now and The Godfather, I've always favored the latter myself. But then again, I generally prefer gangster movies to war movies; that being said, AN is probably my favorite of its genre.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
IMO

The godfather>Once upon a time in america>Godfather Part 2>Apocalypse Now
Now we're just throwing movies together: the godfather< apocalypse now< agguire the wrath of god< sunrise: a song of two humans

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
agguire the weather of god
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.