Your favorite movie scenes of all time...

Tools    

God!!! So many!!! I won't repeat a lot of the ones that I love like no other that people already mentioned, like Braveheart, Last of the Mohicans, Shawshank Redemption, Star Wars, etc. Here are some of the best in my view.

The Odd Couple-"It's not spaghetti, it's linguini."
Matthau throws plate on the wall.
"Now it's garbage."

The Pianist- When he can't play the piano but he moves his fingers over the keys. Damn, what a scene.

Lord of the Rings, Fellowship- When Frodo decides to get in the boat at the end and go at it alond, and then when Sam almost drowns to follow him. If you have a best friend, you understand that completely.

The Red Violin-When Samual L. Jackson hears the Red Violin being played and you can see this intensity in his face...every time I am speechless.

Forrest Gump- When Forrest and Jenny hug in the reflection pool.

Harrison's Flowers- Damn, the whole movie, anybody seen it???

The Godfather- When Don Corleone looks down on Sonny's body and says, look what they did to my boy.

The Godfather Part II- When they come over on the boat and first see the statue of liberty.

Searching for Bobby Fischer-final scene of the chess showdown.

Platoon- Willem Dafoe on his knees.

Jaws-sooo many....but I love the ending when they kill him and then when Roy Schieder says, I used to hate the water, and Richard Dreyfuss says, I can't imagine why. They say those lines perfectly.

American Beauty-the floating bag scene.

Almost Famous- Absolutely LOVE the scene on the bus when they sing tiny dancer together.

Life is Beautiful- so many, their first kiss, and the end.

The Matrix- final scene.

Cinema Paradiso- SOOO many, but I love the scene where he watches all the clips of the kisses at the end.

Moulin Rouge- The medley on top of the elephant.

South Pacific- The very end when they hold hands under the table...perfect.

Yentl-Papa can you hear me, and final scene on the boat.

Meet Joe Black- Final scene, yeah I know it is long, but I love it. Especially the stuff between the father and daughter.

Interview with the Vampire- End scene with Lastat on the Golden Gate.

Forever Young-final scene.

True Lies-bridge and helicopter scene, sooo awesome.

And, this is one repeat, but I also love and have always loved the ending scene in Return of the Jedi, esp. when Vadar dies and it is so sad. Just one of the greats that never loses anything.

Back to the Future- Marty plays 'Johnny be good'.
The Boondock Saints-" There was a fire fight!"
Carlito's Way- "You think your big time! Your gonna F@#king die big time!"
Dragon, The Bruce Lee story- Bruce proves his theory in under 1 minute
FaceOff- The gun fight with the song "somewhere over the Rainbow" playing.
Heat- The gun battle exiting the bank and the chat b\w pacino + De Niro
LOTR- Boromir dies.
Platoon- "They got Elias"
The Thing- When The test reveals who the thing is.
Three Kings- They make it over the border
12 Monkeys- In the Airport as bruce tries to stop the Madman.

Get Low, Get Low, Get Low
Let me try to get some more of my favorite scenes...
Jerry Maguire..You complete me..he finally found someone
Vanilla Sky-when he realizes he kills Penelope Cruz
Full Metal Jacket-honestly the creepy music gets to me, but at the end when they find the sniper, and they are all gathered around her.
Dracula 2000-when he gets thrown over the edge of the building and is hung
Red Dragon-The guy rolling down the hill on fire
Steel Magnolias-When Clairese tells M'lynn to hit Ouiser
Toy Story-When the alien gets chosen out of the claw machine
A Walk to Remember-When they get married at the end
Double Jeopardy-She finally finds her husband
Devil's Advocate-When Al P finally reveals he is the devil...
The Shinning-'All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy'

I know that i am leaving A LOT out but there is some to add to the list

Plus a lady fan of PimpDaShizzle V2.0 and Most importantly JRS

Hi dolls--
Yes-yes, Bobby Fischer!
Yes-yes to Almost Famous
Yes-yes the Matrix -- when he snags the helicopter, and then when the bullets fall to the floor.
Oh YES! Cinema Paradiso -- I forgot that one!
And yes to Joe Black -- kinky that the doc was in love with Death. And when he said he was the tax guy, I cracked up -- and then when the other one came back -- sooooo sweet.
Also -- did you ever see Delicatessin? the last scene when they are on the roof, just the two of them. Loved that.
And in Amelie, when he finds the note in his pocket!
And more, more . . .
Love & kisses,
Jozie

Oh -- and a PS

There's a better scene in Roma (if you're not a guy). It's the one when they break through into the sunken villa, and there are those wonderful mosaics . . . and then the real air gets in . . . .
Love & xx
J

A Few Good Men - Court Scene
Romeo & Juliet - Ending, and most of the movie, its a Damn great movie!

step back

01. Lawrence Of Arabia
At the bar.
"He likes your lemonade."

02. Apocalypse Now
The attack on the village.
"He says they're gonna play music!"

03. GoodFellas
Paranoia and the helicoptor.
"It's been following me all day."

04. Boogie Nights
A coke deal gone very wrong.
"I love this part..."

05. Casablanca
The last goodbye.
"Round up the usual suspects."

The Fellowship of the Ring - At the council when Frodo says he will take the ring to Mordor ("Though I do not know the way.") and there is a shot of Gandalf where he makes a resigned expression as if he knows how it will all end and he feared Frodo making that choice. Its small, nothing more than a 3 second facial expression, but it gets me every time.

In The Two Towers, the Last March of the Ents, I find it very moving. I can't really explain why, walking talking trees? Come on. But still, a combination of the music and the voice work of John Rhys-Davies and I get a little choked.

I'm willing to bet that in the Return of the King, with Frodo and Sam at... you know... there will be a scene to remember.

In A New Hope, Luke Skywalker staring at the dual sunset from his uncle's homestead while the theme music crescendos in the background. Dreaming, hoping, to one day have a more exciting life, it would come too soon.

In Braveheart, not the speech, not the end, though those are good moments. Rather the death of Muron. In this case for me the lack of music makes a difference. We're so accustomed to slow-motion-danger-music type scenes. In this instance there is no prelude, almost no warning, and she has her throat slit. A scene that exemplifies the raw violence of this film. Then, later, after he takes his revenge William turns around to face the crowd, dirty, bloodied, he looks bewildered as if the bloodlust has faded and he doesn't remember what he did.

There are of course many more, some of different varieties (the revelations in The Sixth Sense, Primal Fear, the Usual Suspects, etc).

I'll do another bunch o' favorites, since there truly are thousands of 'em...
  • Nashville (1975), Tom Frank (Keith Carradine) takes the stage to sing his ballad "I'm Easy". At least three women in the audience think he's singing it directly to them: British reporter Opal (Geraldine Chaplin), far-out groupie L.A. Joan (Shelley Duvall), and local housewife Linnea Reese (Lily Tomlin). As the seductive song continues, all three realize it's directed only at Linnea - Tom's conquest for the night.
    "Take my hand and pull me down, I won't put up any fight, because I'm easy..."
  • Paris, Texas (1984), Travis (Harry Dean Stanton) tells a story to Jane (Nastassja Kinski) through a one-way mirror at the cat house. Jane slowly realizes it's in fact their story, and her past has finally found her hiding place.
    "I knew these people, these two people, they were in love with each other...."
  • Dancer in the Dark (2000), Selma Jezkova (Bjork) sings her biterwseeet lament for not being able to be with kindly Jeff (Peter Stormare) - or anyone else - on the train tracks during her walk home. They duet and dance.
    "And the man you will marry, the home you will share. To be honest, I really don't care..."
  • Bird (1988), a strung-out Charlie Parker (Forrest Whitaker) calls home to his wife Chan (Diane Venora) for what will be the last time. Through their exasperation and pain in a tearful and seemingly knowing goodbye, both express their sadness and love without ever saying the words.
    "I've told you time and again to stop indulging so frequently in overy spiced foods. Those spices will kill you."
  • In A Lonely Place (1950), Laurel Gray (Gloria Grahame) gets the phonecall they've been waiting for, completely exonerating her new lover Dix Steele (Humphrey Bogart) of the murder charges. Unfortunately, it comes minutes too late, as she has finally seen the irrational jealous rages that do indeed brew inside him...and this time directed at her.
    "I was born when she kissed me, I died when she left me, I lived a few weeks while she loved me."
And on and on and on and on....
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No, I never saw Delicatessin. So many movies, so little time. Hey, I can sleep when I'm dead.

God! I love Amelie too, the note is great, among many other scenes. But I also love the end so much. On the motorcycle and all is perfect and as it should be. Just happiness.

Which Romeo and Juliet? I love the Franco Zefferelli and the Baz Luhrman versions. Great stuff. Esp. love all Mercurcio scenes (esp. his death), and the end, "All are punished".

Lawrence of Arabia, one of my favorite parts was when the reporter asks him why he loves the desert- "It's clean". And the part where they cross the impossible desert, the Nefut right? Classic inspiration.

I have only ever seen one scene in Boogie Nights, though I would like to see the whole thing, but that scene is the coke deal gone wrong, and I loved it. The craziness of Alfred Molina and the suspense of the moment and then Mark Wahlburg's moment of realization-great.

Oh, the march of the Ents. I find it moving too. I love all of the music from the movies, it's absolutely beautiful. But I am loving the final scenes so far of both movies. Some people say they are corny, but I still love them. Oh, and thank you for not saying exactly what happens in the third one, cause I have not read the books. So if everyone could be cool and hold off on letting the ending slip out, that would be uber-nice.

Dude!!! A New Hope! Luke and the suns! One of my top ten favs. Didn't mention it before, but dang. Just so...ugh, no words.

Braveheart, my favorite movie. Some of my favorites among all of them are in a little string of three: the scene where old Campbell dies, and then Robert the Bruce walks among the corpses and the mist and falls to his knees, and then finishing with Robert making that speech to his leperous father about his betrayal. It is just so well done and I am so wrapped up in it every time that I forget that it was "done" in the first place. Those are the best movies.

Also, watched Crouching Tiger again this weekend, love the scenes with Lo and Jen together and with Shu Lien and Li Mu Bai together. Most of all, scene where Li dies and she kisses him. Rips my heart out.

~Joanna

quite a few scenes I like, but I can't think of them all...

Ben Hur's chariot race scene.

Jaws' comparing scars scene.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom's scene where Indiana is taking on a guy who displays his talent in swords and then shoots him.

Regarding Henry's scene where the daughter teaches her father to tie his shoe laces.

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers scene where the army is preparing beneath the tower and the first scene with the dragon.

The Shining's scene where Jack chops down the door to get in.

The Matrix's fight scenes and the scene where Morpheus is rescued.

Shawshank Redemption's last scene.

Se7en - quite a few scenes, especially the one where they discover the guy who was still alive after one year of torture.

Oh, the march of the Ents. I find it moving too. I love all of the music from the movies, it's absolutely beautiful. But I am loving the final scenes so far of both movies. Some people say they are corny, but I still love them. Oh, and thank you for not saying exactly what happens in the third one, cause I have not read the books. So if everyone could be cool and hold off on letting the ending slip out, that would be uber-nice.
I tell you what. I think that the scene I am referring to could very well be greatest cinematic moment ever. I have really thought hard on this and I can think of no possible way to make what Tolkien wrote better. I have faith that Peter Jackson is not going to mess it up. If you haven't read the books, you're just going to love it. You'll walk out of the movie thinking "Wow." I just hope academy voters do too.

Just imagining it in my head now moves me.

Hi
The Matrix is my favorite movie and all, but i didn't like the way the final scene was done..the whole jumping into the agent bit seemed too elaborate..i would have prefered Neo just smiling and waving goodbye to them and picking up the phone and leaving or something...

Also in Boondock saint's in the first part when he jumps off the building..that is one of my favorite scenes for the stunt and the revelation of the length that they go to protect each other.

a few recent ones from me, serious ones too.

'vengeance is mine', which i recently watched twice, has three of them.
1. the scene where enokizu [ken ogata], having murdered a lawyer in his own home, counts his cash and then tries to strangle himself with a scarf he finds. he tightens the scarf by wraping it once around his neck and pulling on either end with his hands, until his face is blue, and then lets go, collapses to the floor out of breath, and sluggishly resumes exploring the contents of the lawyer's appartment.
2. the scene where enokizu is giving his lover, the poor woman who runs the hotel where he is hiding out, beer from a cup, watching her drink from his own hands as he moves the empty one up behind her neck, and then drops the cup and strangles her to death. this is possibly the most emotionally intense scene i've ever watched in a movie that is as coolly ambiguous as this one.
3. the transition where enokizu is following his victim's elderly mother up the stairs to kill her. you know he is going to kill her; he pulls a length of rope from his pocket. the cool part though, and what i didnt even notice the first time--it's very subtle--right as he begins ascending the staircase, his mother enters the scene and walks down the hall towards the camera, and the camera cuts to enokizu's father and wife, in their own home, being surprised by the arrival of his mother. i was really shocked when i noticed this transition on my second viewing because it's extremely subtle in its illogic. enokizu, of course, has been on the run from the police for months, and is ascending the stairs of a hotel/flophouse in one place, while his mother is just arriving home from the hospital in an entirely different place. but it's all shot as if they pass each other unnoticed in the same house. i dont put too much significance on this odd freak occurence within the movie, especially since i only barely percieved it on my second viewing, but i loved it.

woyzeck: other than the obvious favorites: the sped up openning credits with kinski being pushed around and tormented by his commander, and the climactic murder scene [gee there are a lot of those today ], my favorite part is after kinski murders eva mattes. the scene where he enters the dance hall, paranoid and mad, right through til he exits under suspicion, after the girl he is sitting with notices the blood on his shirt sleve. this also has kinski's clearest lines in the movie. meaning his least rambling ones, though just as insane as anything else, "do you think i murdered someone? do i look like a murderer to you? look at yourselves."

the eel: along similar lines as the hotel transition in 'vengeance is mine' [also directed by imamura, go figure ], my favorite scenes in this movie are yama****a's various dream/halucination scenes. in particular the ones involving his eel's tank. of these, the one that stands out is the change where he sees his tank empty [no eel, just water] and begins to panic, thrashing in the water. the deception is classic and convincing. yama****a see's no eel in his tank when he views it from the side, and the camera moves to an overhead closup where yama****a is looking down into the water and feeling through it for the eel. he then procedes to slide into the water, head first, now no longer looking into a tank but some larger body of water. could have fooled me.

Sooo excited about Return of the King now! I mean, I was before, but now it will be an effort to wait for it. So many good scenes to hope for! Oh, I am such a nerd.

But yeah, dude who loves The Matrix. I was quite surprised to hear that it is your favorite movie but you don't like the final scene. In my view, the huge ending was perfect. It was the cheering part in the movie for me when I yelled ( in my head of course ),"Go Neo!!! You show that Matrix you!" Hehehe. But, different strokes. I'm glad you liked the rest of it.

Oh, one more to add. Tommy Boy. David Spade vacuuming moths out of mid air. Fantastic. I crack up every time.

~Joanna

gotta get this thread goin agian.

optimus prime dieing as aswell

DonJuan de la Nooch
Hello!!!!!! I'm surprised no one put the last sequence in Scarface where Tony Montana has a shoot out with Sosa's army. "Say hello to my little friend"

The music scene in the Big Lebowski with all the dancers, Jeff Bridges, and Julianne Moore.

The scene in Chasing Amy where Holden confesses his love

The car chase scene in The Matrix:Reloaded

"That scene" in Monsters Ball.

The closing credits in Charlie's Angels letting me know that horrible movie was over.

The first 20 minutes of Snake Eyes with the continuous shot.

All the car scenes in Dazed and Confused.

The final scene in Shall We Dansu?

The battle scenes in Glory

The robbery in Ocean's 11.

Event Horizon - after they see the ship's log, the Capt. says "We're leaving."

Fight Club - Ed Norton walks into his cave, his power animal is a penguin who says, "slide".

LOTR - every second of both BUT especially in FOTR when Arwen is racing to get Frodo to Rivendell in time to be saved.

heres mine:

1. christopher walken/dennis hopper scene in true romance. so moving.

2. deer hunter, russian roulette scen at end.

3. matrix, first bullet time scene

4. braveheart ending

5. trainspotting, when the baby dies, very powerful scene

6. trainspotting, choose life speech

7. luke i am ur father

8. pulp fiction, so many to choose, the adreniline shot, jack rabbit slims, ezekial 25:17, end scene.

9.american psycho, patrick bateman talking about phil collins.

10. leon, opening scene, end scene

11.swordfish, the ball bearing explosion.

12.resevior dogs, clowns to the left of me...........

13. transformers the movie, when optimus prime dies, still the most moving thing ive ever seen.

14. goodfellas, do u think im funny, speech

15. scarface, end scene, chainsaw scene.

16. platoon, when elias dies and barbers adaio for strings plays

17.chopper, every minute.

18.kung pow!, evry scene with evil betty included.

19. the big lebowski, dream sequence, disgarding the ashes, lol

20. dumb and dumber, killer boots man!

i could go on but cant be bothered......

I've always thought of the ambush in the shower room from the Rock as one of my favourite scenes in a movie.