Ted

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
TED

Family Guy Uncensored.

When a little boy wishes his teddy bear could actually talk to him, he wakes up the next morning to see his wish come true. Best friends/thunder buddies for life they say. Flash forward 25 years or so and now that little boy is Mark Walhberg and that teddy is Seth McFarlane. Mila Kunis is Walhberg's girlfriend and when things get out of control says it's either going to be her or the bear.

I know that going into this film that it was going to be 90 minutes of Family Guy jokes and that's a pretty accurate description. So if you love Family Guy style humour, you'll really enjoy this. I think Family Guy 'use' to be funny and ever since it came back from cancellation, it's been stale. Ted, manages to be both. A lot of the jokes misfire and a lot of them hit. I have to give McFarlane credit though, he only used one flashback gag.

Family Guy is notorious for having jokes about random celebrities and you either get it or you don't. That's the same with Ted. A Brandon Routh joke and numerous Tom Skeritt jokes get no laughs, but plenty of others do. McFarlane, a fan of the 80's, plants numerous 80's jokes here. Flash Gordon being a big one. I found myself laughing more times than not, but when a joke falls flat, boy does it ever.

Ted gives McFarlane more room for crude humour. There's plenty of cursing in this film. A bear that swears is funny for a short while, but when the film tries to get a laugh out of him simply standing there and saying the F-word, then you know it's stretching. Sex, drugs and language fill this film, so it's certainly not for kids, even if the young ones do watch Family Guy. This is McFalane's first venture into the film world and it shows. He has no cinematic eye and doesn't know when to leave a scene. The end result is a wash.

Many of McFarlane's friends and co-workers show up here. Mila Kunis, if the most obvious one, she has a starring role, but the supporting cast is basically a who's who of McFalane's shows. Patrick Warburton, Patrick Stewart, Alex Borstein and Ralph Garman just to name a few. Friends helping out friends I guess. Joel McHale plays Mila Kunis' jerk boss who always makes advances at her, that subplot literally goes nowhere. Finally Giovanni Ribisi amps up the creep factor and takes the story in a totally different direction in the third act.

In the end, Ted is a funny film. The best way for me to recommend it is based on Seth McFarlane's comedy. He wrote, produced, directed and voices Ted. It's got his mark all over it. If you like his comedy and television shows, Ted will be a laugh riot. If not, I would probably say avoid it.

Suspect's Reviews

I actually enjoyed this a lot; it's very, very funny. A solid, well-written script by Seth and his directing is adequate, if not purely conventional. Not really a surprise there though. Some of the jokes fall flat, but the film really succeeds in building the relationship between Ted and John.

Oh and...**** you, thunder.

Three and half out of four stars

Ted is this year's best comedy so far. Laughs are abundant in a film that has a plot that you would think would be for a kid's movie. But that is not the case.

Seth MacFarlane who is known for creating Family Guy, American Dad, and The Cleveland show writes and directs a lovely comedy in his first attempt.

I went to see this movie and it was probably my worst theater experience. The film started late, and there were a group of people who talked through the whole entire film. So much I yelled to them to shut up more than once. But I digress.

John Bennett (Mark Wahlberg) had no friends when he was a kid. He gets a Teddy Bear for Christmas and wishes it can come to life. What kid doesn't wish for their Teddy Bear to be real? Like Winnie the Pooh even? I know I did.

But the bear actually becomes real. And it is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Fast Forward years later and Ted has grown up into an decent guy. He has a decent job at a car dealership and has a hot girlfriend of four years named Lori Collins (Mila Kunis).

But John is somewhat a man child. He gets high with his Teddy Bear and watches Flash Gordon with him. Lori is starting to get sick of her man child boyfriend and wants to kick Ted out. The events after that you will have to see for yourself. And they are worth seeing.

There is also danger. Donny (Giovanni Ribisi) wants to buy Ted to give it to his child. He has been obsessed with Ted since he was a kid and saw him on Carson (yes Ted was on Carson).

I can't stop saying how impressed I am with Seth MacFarlane. I feel that his humor can be hit or missed. But in his debut it is hitting it's marks. It is constantly funny and amusing.

Ted also is able to touch human emotions and a way you wouldn't think possible given the premise. This film never runs out of ideas and keeps going.

Think of Ted as a sophisticated Family Guy episode. Very and has a nice message at the same time without taking itself too seriously.

Next week I will definitely be seeing it!

Yeah this was funny, but then you remembered I feel like I've heard it before and you had in three other shows all which executed it better.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought it was a solidly funny film. As a film itself, it is one of those that you could probably watch over and over again, although technically it isn't a great film per se. I'd give it a 7/10 right now. Yes, some parts went overboard, but what else did we expect.

Thought it was hilarious as hell. Some jokes did fall flat but I went there to laugh and thats exactly what I got.

So, your insight is better than most? Just a Question...

I gave some, you didn't. That was my point.
It was funny and most people were cracking up! The people I sore in the Theatre, they weren't mugs. Pretty educated people what I could gather. I could be wrong, as you as well.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
It was funny and most people were cracking up! The people I sore in the Theatre, they weren't mugs. Pretty educated people what I could gather. I could be wrong, as you as well.

Seems very juvenile Though we're young and I have to make announces.

TED—Not for the Uptight

TED is Family Guy without the corporate executives of FOX keeping things within the parameters of television. Seth MacFarlane brought his boundary pushing humor to the big screen on June 29th, 2012 in TED. Alongside Mark Wahlberg as John Bennett and Mila Kunis as Lori Collins, MacFarlane was the both director, writer and voice of Teddy, a hilariously foul-mouthed bear. Set in modern day Boston, comes this animated comedy about a young, lonely boy making a far fetched Christmas wish. To everyone’s surprise, his wish is granted…forever. On Christmas day, the young Marky Mark receives an innocent teddy bear and awakes the next day to find the bear alive. From that day forward they became best friends, and Ted became a household name. Cut to twenty-seven years later and Ted and John are living the dream. John working a dead end job living off of his successful and stunning girlfriend Lori, of four years. Ted’s appearance is relatively the same yet his personality has evolved from a love-giving teddy bear to a vulgar, perverted and inappropriate stuffy.
John’s girlfriend Lori wants to get married but there are obvious boundaries preventing this milestone. John’s emotional immaturity and lack of ambition is fueled by his friendship with Ted. As the two party all the time, Lori’s patience wears thin with the crude and extremely inappropriate behavior of John’s best friend. Her rich, sophisticated but slimy boss Rex, does whatever is in his power to win her over. His sad, cheesy attempts at making himself look superior, and John like chopped liver, fail him, as she shows no interest at all…That is until she is pushed to breaking point with Ted and their current living situation, and convinces herself she needs to move on. The remainder of the movie is revolved around the triangle of love and friendship. John is eventually forced to decide between his life long companion and his potential soul mate.
TED is Seth MacFarlane’s twisted concoction of Toy Story meets The Hangover. This animated, rated R comedy, takes humor to the next level. The cinematography was planned well with all aspects of the two-foot tall teddy bear physically interacting with the human cast. The acting is all very strong and Wahlberg and Macfarlane’s on screen chemistry is extremely natural and outright hilarious. A must see movie if you are interested in 106 minutes of raunchy offside jokes delivered by a MacFarlane that can’t be seen on TV.

I didn't like it. I think I went in expecting too much, or perhaps just expecting a comedy. It was one of those movies where all the jokes were in the trailers. The only thing that made this stand out was that when the trailer jokes were removed, a comedy wasn't what remained. It was some weird 'I want to be taken seriously as a writer' not really sure of its identity movie. I wouldn't recommend it and I wouldn't watch it again.