Death Sentence

Tools    

Do you agree with the idea of a death sentence?
47.83%
11 votes
Yes
43.48%
10 votes
No
8.70%
2 votes
Undecided
23 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Here are some people's opinions from earlier.
Yup didn't show up in search because I only typed in death sentence and didnt think of doing penalty.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Yes but not only for murder.

How about Heroin addicts that are locked in a cycle of addiction, crime, punishment, treatment over and over again. The costs running in some cases into the $$ millions once you tot up the price of prison, feeding, housing them, paying Police to catch them, armies of rehabilitation workers to pander to the "poor" drug addict.

Put them out of their misery after say 3 attempts at turning their life around, rather than waste $$$$ and money on them.

Yes but not only for murder.

How about Heroin addicts that are locked in a cycle of addiction, crime, punishment, treatment over and over again. The costs running in some cases into the $$ millions once you tot up the price of prison, feeding, housing them, paying Police to catch them, armies of rehabilitation workers to pander to the "poor" drug addict.

Put them out of their misery after say 3 attempts at turning their life around, rather than waste $$$$ and money on them.
I wasn't planning on debating this but I disagree with you on that one. To put someone to death for being addicted to a drug because they're costing us to much money is just cruel. I do think if the person wants to die that's different, but when we're talking about sentencing them to death that's different. When I'm for the death penalty it has to truly be a pedophile terrorist rapist. I can't even say a one time murder deserves to die. Thus it's hard for me to imagine to kill someone because they're a herion addict (if were talking about that being there only crime"

Semper Fooey
And what about those child molesters? You let them out, they will do it again. They are sick. They can't be cured. And three time losers with life sentences. It is expensive keeping them housed. Kill them all.

You want more honest politicians? Make corruption a capital offense. That is what they do in China. We should become more like China.

I wasn't planning on debating this but I disagree with you on that one. To put someone to death for being addicted to a drug because they're costing us to much money is just cruel. I do think if the person wants to die that's different, but when we're talking about sentencing them to death that's different. When I'm for the death penalty it has to truly be a pedophile terrorist rapist. I can't even say a one time murder deserves to die. Thus it's hard for me to imagine to kill someone because they're a herion addict (if were talking about that being there only crime"
I am not advocating capital punishment based purely on the fact of serious drug addiction, besides don't think that being an addict is actually a crime in itself as opposed to possession or intent to distribute.

One of my staff was telling me (just this morning), that one of her neighbours came home to find one of the local heroin addicts in their living room, presumably in the act of theft to pay for drugs. This person has several children.

How would you like coming home to this scenario? The drug addict in question has that drug addict look on their face of having no hope, no help could turn their life around. No employer would EVER consider giving this person a job. In fact no one in their right mind would consider having anything to do with this person. Dead behind the eyes.

Of course not all drug addicts are like this but some are beyond help.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS PERSONS CONTINUED EXISTENCE????

Is it to go to jail at at cost of £40,000 per year (approx cost of 1 year prison in UK).

To get released and bulglarize the house where you and your children live.

To leave posssible HIV laced needles at the bottom of your garden where your children play?

To have the Police constantly bogged down chasing and arresting these same people over and over again?

What?

The same argument can probably be used for serious child molesters.

The bad thing with a Death Sentence, some people are innocent years later, when they investigated the facts (a lot of african-americans) ...in America mostly what I've read. Other countries, you won't get the information because they are basically distributorship.

Well acocording to deathpenaltyinfo.org

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

So yes death penalty is more expensive. That being said I'd rather pay for them to die than there next meal.
I'm not arguing with you that the heroin addict is a menace to society. Looking online the rate for someone to clean from heroin ranges from 5-25%. So while the majority will do it again a nice chunk won't. If there are other major crimes associated with the addicted then maybe yes they can be put to death. But I don't think if the person takes the drug or not should contribute to if he is put to death, because heroin addiction is usually a one time mistake, they put that needle in and unless they're extremely mentally strong or automatically seek attention they can't get over it. Should they be put to death for it?

Well acocording to deathpenaltyinfo.org

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

So yes death penalty is more expensive. That being said I'd rather pay for them to die than there next meal.
I'm not arguing with you that the heroin addict is a menace to society. Looking online the rate for someone to clean from heroin ranges from 5-25%. So while the majority will do it again a nice chunk won't. If there are other major crimes associated with the addicted then maybe yes they can be put to death. But I don't think if the person takes the drug or not should contribute to if he is put to death, because heroin addiction is usually a one time mistake, they put that needle in and unless they're extremely mentally strong or automatically seek attention they can't get over it. Should they be put to death for it?
No they shouldn't be put to death for addiction alone. One of the steps I would take prior to a death penalty would be say a month of "Cold Turkey", stuck in a jail cell, no drug substitutes no bad food, no more trips to the Chemist every day for Methodone. Just cold hard turkey. Yes that alone may kill the addict indirectly but so what, they shouldn't have taken the Heroin in the first place.

The bad thing with a Death Sentence, some people are innocent years later, when they investigated the facts (a lot of african-americans) ...in America mostly what I've read. Other countries, you won't get the information because they are basically distributorship.
Yea, I would be unwillinging to dish out the Death Penalty where there was even a slight doubt. Only in cases where there was solid, basically non disputable evidence. I wouldn't want to hand out a Death Penalty based on something like DNA evidence alone, no witnesses, no confession etc.

I voted yes, but obviously depends on crime. Let's go back to public execution too. Seriously though, money goes to take care and keep a lot of criminals in jail/prison. We could save a lot of money by killing criminals who murdered people without reason off.

I don't see why everyone thinks killing is bad and death is a bad thing. The bravest heroes in the military have been known to kill. The reasoning for equality also does not work, if you commit a crime, you lose your rights. Everyone is born with equal rights, but why do we hate taking it away for the people who show they do not deserve it? I'll stop rambling on and let the next person say their 2 cents.

I voted yes because I don't believe that the US prison system is really doing what it needs to in society.

I was in a class and we had to do a presentation on different controversial things, and the death sentence was one. I didn't do the actual presentation but it put out a lot of perspective.

It costs the US more to put a person to death than keep them in jail. That's because the substance used costs a lot and I think the procedure cost's a lot because it's technically illegal. The cost of a person living on death row I think costs a lot also, they get certain privileges that other inmates don't receive because they are supposed to die soon. This being said, the US pays more as a whole on prisons and keeping inmates than probably our education system.

The reason I am for the death penalty is because I do believe that if a person kills or harms multiple people, that there is no way to get through to them. Keeping them imprisoned isn't a life and more likely they may die in there by a fellow inmate because a lot of people that are in prison now a days are in for petty crimes.

The problem I have with the Death Penalty is that we really don't have a right to take their lives but because we are much more moral of a country in the US, is it really helping us more or hindering our ability to put authority over the citizens?

• Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.
  • The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.
  • The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.
  • The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Hmm...good point, I suppose I'd prefer an old school means of execution in that case, just slice their head clean off with an axe or something like that. Possibly some torture devices, much cheaper than drugs and the electric chair.

I agree though Gabriella Lynn, it's not about money. I was just using that as an argument for the greedier of individuals. Honestly, we need to improve our justice system, we seem to do a bad job at punishing the actual criminals and a good job at punishing the innocent people. So it's a mix bag, we got to get tougher on the actual criminals (somehow get better at prosecuting people) whilst also giving as much freedom and rights to the innocent people and the people who have been put into mistrials and smaller, worthless crimes.

Either way, you all get my point. I got my own opinions, you know how it is.

Possibly some torture devices, much cheaper than drugs and the electric chair.
Don't know if you were joking there, but that makes us just as bad as the criminal. Why the need to put a criminal through torture, or mainstream public display even. Caught and a death penalty that is quickest and least painful and then buried/cremated(whatever the criminal wanted out of the two).

I wasn't stating it because that's all I believe in. I did say I voted yes for the death sentence so obviously I really don't care how much it costs the US. I was stating it for the person above my last comment because he thought it was cheaper to kill someone than to put them in jail.

I believe that anyone that murders a person more than once should have a death sentence or at least a life sentence with no parole.

I used to be in favour of death sentence, but not anymore. Ending a person's life like that ends the punishment too quickly. Nowadays, I'm all for labor camps like they have in China. The conditions in the camps and the type of labor that must be done can vary according to the crime committed.

I used to be in favour of death sentence, but not anymore. Ending a person's life like that ends the punishment too quickly. Nowadays, I'm all for labor camps like they have in China. The conditions in the camps and the type of labor that must be done can vary according to the crime committed.
I completely agree. I also feel that way. Sometimes it's just an easy way out. But prison in the US is kind of softer than other countries.