Favorite Director?

Tools    

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Probably Scorsese or Fincher.

2001! This topic is old as hell...who necroposted?
Anyway,my favorite director is Stanley Kubrick...Only 11 movies,and almost every is a classic,and they are all different...his style of filmmaking is dreamlike and meditative.

Just looked over the past posts from years gone by. Original poster has the same favourite as me, Paul Verhoeven. Ok Showgirls is one of the worst piles of poo ever made, there's still the famous ones, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Total Recall, Basic Instinct...

... there's Turkish Delight, Soldier Of Orange, The Fourth Man was interesting and Black Book is underrated as a foreign language movie.

Hard to believe Verhoeven is in his 70s now, and he's still working.

Mine is without a doubt Polanski. 3 of my top 10 movies are films he's directed. The other two I wacthed Twist and Vampire Killers I can't say I was to fond of but Pianist, Cinatown, and Rosemarys Baby are just perfect

The greatest American director working today, and one of the most overlooked screenwriters:
I'm sorry, but he's directed one film. He may be the best American director working today, but his 'body' of work doesn't suggest that's the case. Also, overlooked screenwriter? I'd say he's premier league and, if you take out the writer/directors, there can't be many better known or respected screenwriters.

Paul Thomas Anderson. Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are masterpieces, Punch-Drunk Love shows he has flair for comedy too and Boogie Nights is brilliant fun and one of the best ensemble performances ever. Hard Eight is his only "meh" film, and that's only a narrow miss.

Is there anyone better? No chance. His films have brought unimaginably complex insights into the human condition. Every film of his carries the same rebel, independent spirit that has virtually defined what it means to be an independent filmmaker. There's no character of his that can be pigeonholed into definably stereotypes; instead, they merely exist in his world as living, breathing people.

Is there anyone better? No chance. His films have brought unimaginably complex insights into the human condition. Every film of his carries the same rebel, independent spirit that has virtually defined what it means to be an independent filmmaker. There's no character of his that can be pigeonholed into definably stereotypes; instead, they merely exist in his world as living, breathing people.
I'm only replying because you say there's no chance of a better filmmaker, but there are many filmmakers who do as you describe, so why is he better at it than Teshigahara or Yang or Kobayashi or Liang, and that's just Asia.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Paul Thomas Anderson. Magnolia and There Will Be Blood are masterpieces, Punch-Drunk Love shows he has flair for comedy too and Boogie Nights is brilliant fun and one of the best ensemble performances ever. Hard Eight is his only "meh" film, and that's only a narrow miss.
Can't believe I left out PTA. He would definitely complete my top three favourites.

David Fincher is easily my favorite director. Fight Club changed my life, Seven was amazing, the Social Network was amazing, I thought the Curious case of Benjamin Button was strange but great direction from him though. I really need to see Zodiac and Panic Room

^ Interested, how did Fight Club change your life?
It changed the way I looked at things in a way. I saw it at the start of my senior year in high school (last year), I was apart of the target audience. The film just resonated with me so much. I related to it so well. The consumerism issues that were brought up, the feeling of wanting to just fight because your in a box of just going to work and doing other normal things.

That is the only film that has accomplished that for me which also makes it my favorite film .