Movie Tab II

Tools    

Definitely overrated. #13 on the MoFo Top 100? That's a bit shocking.

Oh well. Nightmare kicked arse and Pulp Fiction is the latest entry into my Top 10. I'd call this a successful weekend

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Basic (2003)

A well directed, well acted feature, with a decent twist ending, but can be slow-moving at times.

Sharktopus (2009)

Much better than the mega humongous piece of recycled crap that Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus was, this doesn't take itself too seriously. Instead, it's an enjoyable, humourous horror with some surprisingly ok acting and inspired action sequences.

Dial M For Murder (1955)

One of Hitchcock's best, with a marvellous performance from Ray Milland and executed with style and elegance. A great example on how to make a dialogue driven drama work.

Don't think I've seen it since the 80s.
Is that you're winky way of saying that you don't like it? I bought that movie back when you could only get it on VHS. I really like it a lot.

A Taste for Killing. A fan of made for TV movies, this one took an all too familiar concept and, though not making anything new of it, was still surprisingly well made and perhaps more believable - until the end - than most.
I love made for TV movies. If memory serves, you're the first person I've seen on-line that shares that opinion. I've been streaming many from Netflix. Find one and watch it, and they'll suggest many many more to you.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Conan O’Brien: Can’t Stop

When all the S**t hit the fan at NBC Conan was not allowed to appear on television or radio for 6 months, So he got the idea to do a tour called The Legally Prohibited From Being Funny On Television Tour. Of course the title refers to Conan’s settlement with NBC.

I have been a fan of Conan O’Brien for as long as I can remember. This film is great not only because it is freakin hilarious but also because you get to see the family side of Conan playing with his kids and being a dad. It is so great getting to see the uncensored Conan, even though he can get away with quite a bit on his old show and new one. He has a very dark comedy side of him that you get to see and you will find yourself rewinding over and over to see certain parts again. Sona Movsesian is Conan’s assistant, the way they treat each other is hilarious, and sometimes almost seems cruel even though you know they are just joking with each other, it also seems like he wouldn't know what to do without her. You also get to see what a tour like this is like and how much it takes out of the person and how much is asked of them, it seems brutal.

If you are a fan of Conan then you have to see this film.

Drive. Though I was expecting an action film, and the lack of chase scenes was somewhat disappointing, this was still a pretty good drama. I don't think that it deserves the perfect rating Ebert gave it, rather, this is more appropriate

Emanuelle and the Last Cannibals. A lot of sex, but I guess that is what when can expect from Emanuelle. It is not that I am opposed to sex in film, it is simply that I'd prefer for the plot to work around the sex, not vice versa. As a sexploitation flick, it was pretty good, I suppose, but as a cannibal film it was definitely lacking. The deaths, too, were far less realistic than those in other such films.

The Serpent and the Rainbow. Probably one of the better made zombie movies of all time, I'm not sure I would dare categorize it as a real zombie movie. There are no "traditional" zombie scenes, and the zombies aren't even zombies as far as film tradition goes.

Sleepaway Camp. I shan't expose the climax, for it was so fun to watch that I would sooner wish to spoil the twist in, say, Identity or The Sixth Sense. I could see it coming all along, but it was still a great scene; indeed, it was that scene which elevates this rather poor movie to

Yesterday I watched October Sky starring a young(er) Jake Gyllenhaal.

Oh I really liked this, it was just so feel-good and sweet and I enjoyed every second of it.
I'm not gonna rate it, though.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

Infection

Directed by: Masayuki Ochiai
Written by: Ryoichi Kimizuka and Masayuki Ochiai

This is a horror movie but with more of a thriller/mystery feel too it, the gore is less then you would expect from a Japanese horror movie. So in a nutshell: A decaying hospital (as well as healthcare system) is the setting for this nicely done thriller. Fear of illness, infection, hospitals, the dark, doctors.... they're all covered here. A botched death at the hands of doctors, a mysterious patient dropped off at the E.R., a hospital with very dark rooms and corridors, an aggressive virus that dissolves its host. The movie really builds tension, and the payoff does not insult the viewer. Most horror films today are pretty silly, and this was a nice little gem to discover. I Highly recommended watching this film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Serpent and the Rainbow. Probably one of the better made zombie movies of all time, I'm not sure I would dare categorize it as a real zombie movie. There are no "traditional" zombie scenes, and the zombies aren't even zombies as far as film tradition goes.
I agree that it's an underappreciated movie, but you mention tradition twice here. They certainly are zombies in the tradition of White Zombie (1932) and I Walked With a Zombie (1943). Are you talking about the much more-recent "tradition" of George Romero-inspired zombies?

I've seen a few interesting movies lately, including Dudley Moore and Peter Cook's Bedazzled, Kim Ki-duk's perverse and eccentric film Samaritan Girl, Moulin Rouge!, Contagion, Rebecca, and various animated shorts by Ub Iwerks, Nick Park, Jan Svankmajer, Jiri Barta and the Quays -- but I don't have ratings pinned down for those.

I've also seen several that I have ratings for:
Royal Wedding (Stanley Donen, 1951)
-
Hoffa (Danny DeVito, 1992)

City Lights (Charlie Chaplin, 1931)

Stripes (Ivan Reitman, 1981)

Some Girl (Rory Kelly, 1998)
-
Two Girls and a Guy (James Toback, 1997)
-
Dangerous Liaisons (Stephen Frears, 1988)
+
Eyes Wide Shut (Stanley Kubrick, 1999)

Mystery Liner (William Nigh, 1934)

Gone With the Wind (Victor Fleming et al, 1939)

Hoffa's a lot of fun to watch, DeVito always comes up with some great match-cuts in his movies.

I could maybe get behind Dangerous Liaisons more on a second watch, I'd probably rate the re-make about the same and I thought the original has better one-liners. Like Cruel Intentions though, I just didn't find it as cutting or edgy as it seemed to be going for, and I'm not sure I bought Malkovich's transformation into an almost-tragic hero. I think I initially gave it a
but then realized that I didn't like it quite as much as Two Girls and a Guy. What do you think of In the Company of Men, hk?

Paperhouse. I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - the British simply are not good at the arts. Music, art, film, even literature: very few Brits are good. Paperhouse, unfortunately, was not made by one of the few talented Brits. Expecting a horror film, I was somewhat disappointed that the extent of the horror took place in the character's mind, not that there was enough horror for it to make any difference.

Amityville Dollhouse. After seeing that it boasts a 3.7 rating on IMDb, I certainly held low hopes for this one. Fortunately, even if I expected a masterpiece, I would not have been disappointed. Easily one of the best horror films I'd seen in a while - I simply cannot understand the low rating.

Amityville It's About Time. Not quite as good as Dollhouse, but still a marvelous entry to the Amityville franchise.

Inferno. My second re-watch, I started noticing plenty of flaws unseen in previous viewings. Perhaps "the masses" were right and Suspiria really is better!?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've said it once, I've said it a thousand times - the British simply are not good at the arts. Music, art, film, even literature: very few Brits are good.
This is both the funniest and sillest thing I've read recently, and that's really saying something.

This is both the funniest and sillest thing I've read recently, and that's really saying something.
I know. I had to read it twice just to make sure that I read it right the first time. That's three readings just to make sure I understood what I understood the first time of reading.

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog

The Kennedys (2011)

Directed by Jon Cassar
Written by Stephen Kronish

I thought I knew a lot about the Kennedy’s from what I learned in school and TV programs that I have watched. It turns out that I knew a lot about John F. Kennedy but not about the Kennedy’s. This mini- series really gives a great look into the family starting with Joe Sr. (Tom Wilkinson) as a ruthless father who believes everyone has a price, John F Kennedy (Greg Kinnear) portrayed as a womanizing man that never really wanted to be president, Bobby Kennedy (Barry Pepper) who’s main job it seems is cleaning up after his brother’s sexual indiscretions, Jackie Kennedy (Katie Holmes) as the long-suffering but dutiful wife and first lady. What is odd is that Edward, Kathleen, Eunice, and Jean Kennedy are nowhere to be found in this mini-series.

The Bay of Pigs, Cuban Missile Crisis, Marilyn Monroe, the Mafia, drugs, and being the first Catholic president are just a few of the reasons that I think John F. Kennedy had one of the most interesting presidencies. It is important to remember that this is not a Documentary but a dramatized look at the Kennedy family. A lot of this film seems more suited to a soap opera then a serious drama, still this mini-series is addictive once you start watching making it really hard to press the stop button until you are all the way through.

Rated: NR
Run Time: 353 minutes

I thought I knew a lot about the Kennedy’s from what I learned in school and TV programs that I have watched. It turns out that I knew a lot about John F. Kennedy but not about the Kennedy’s. This mini- series really gives a great look into the family starting with Joe Sr. (Tom Wilkinson) as a ruthless father who believes everyone has a price, John F Kennedy (Greg Kinnear) portrayed as a womanizing man that never really wanted to be president, Bobby Kennedy (Barry Pepper) who’s main job it seems is cleaning up after his brother’s sexual indiscretions, Jackie Kennedy (Katie Holmes) as the long-suffering but dutiful wife and first lady.
Of this, what didn't you know? Maybe it's just me, but I see this as pretty basic Kennedy stuff. Maybe it's because I'm not an American or, maybe, it's because I'm not of a generation that reveres Kennedy? Hell, maybe it's because I used to be interested in the Kennedy conspiracy theories and just read a lot about the man and his family. Whatever the case, I didn't see anything in the mini-series that warranted such outrage from the Kennedy clan. Other than the beginnings of the rewriting of history, of course.

A lot of this film seems more suited to a soap opera then a serious drama
Much like the Kennedy's themselves, no? Not that I'd limit it to them. Any political/powerful family like this is going to be more soap opera than serious drama. Powerful they may be, but they're still human.

...still this mini-series is addictive once you start watching making it really hard to press the stop button until you are all the way through.
I thought it was ok, but I didn't find it addictive. TBH, I was disappointed at the level it was pitched at. Not 'serious' enough, IMO, and failing to draw any real drama from what were very dramatic times and events.