Classic Pre-Code Hollywood Films

Tools    

Looking for some suggestions A lot of them seem to be released on region 1 unfortunately.

Freaks
Footlight Parade and Gold Diggers of 1933)
The Old Man of the Mountain, Snow-white, and Minnie the Moocher (and various other Betty Boop cartoons)
It and Wings (Clara Bow at her peak. She has a brief bit of nudity in Wings)
Hell's Angels
The Mask of Fu Manchu
West of Zanzabar, Where East is East, and The Unknown (three very dark Tod Browning/Lon Chaney silents)
Tarzan the Ape Man and Tarzan and His Mate (there's an amazingly sensual underwater sequence in the latter)
King Kong
White Zombie

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
There are so many to choose from. Since anything before 1934 is Pre-Code, you never really know what you'll find until you watch them. Some of the more perverse, blatant and desperate would probably include the following, and they range from extreme violence to nudity to utter bizarreness to "interspecies miscegenation".

The Big House
Little Caesar
The Public Enemy
Scarface
Safe in Hell
Female
Night Nurse
Midnight Mary
Madam Satan
This Day and Age
Morocco
Blonde Venus
She Done Him Wrong
I'm No Angel
Trouble in Paradise
The Front Page
Platinum Blonde
She Had to Say Yes
Employees' Entrance
Wild Boys of the Road
Heroes for Sale
Gabriel over the White House
Murders in the Rue Morgue
The Old Dark House
The Island of Lost Souls
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
The Invisible Man
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang

Quite a long list Are there any particular favourites you recommend?

Ooh, I'd also like some good films with Fredric March in them

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
March was in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as well as DeMille's incredibly perverse The Sign of the Cross. How did I forget that one? Anything from DeMille from 1929-1934 is pretty kinky. I've left off tons because I'd have to go through all the movies I've watched to remember several of them. March was also in Merrily We Go to Hell, directed by Dorothy Arzner.

Semper Fooey
The fun pre code ones are the ones that would never have gotten through the code like the previously mentioned Barbara Stanwyck Baby Doll where she explicitly whores herself her way to the top and was so controversial the sudio cut it down and made it tamer, but the original version was found and has been released on DVD. There is a clip of it on the TCM site where she has sex with a train guard so he will let her ride in the boxcar. You don't see her having sex, but you couldn't even suugest it under code.