Tools    

Early Avatar reviews are in!

For the past 3 years we’ve been talking about and anticipating the release of James Cameron’s Avatar, and by this time next week the film will finally be available for public viewing. However, last night some extremely lucky people (media folk) were invited to see the film, and the reactions have been, lets say, ‘positive’:

Empire (5 stars):

It’s been twelve years since Titanic, but the King of the World has returned with a flawed but fantastic tour de force that, taken on its merits as a film, especially in two dimensions, warrants four stars. However, if you can wrap a pair of 3D glasses round your peepers, this becomes a transcendent, full-on five-star experience that’s the closest we’ll ever come to setting foot on a strange new world. Just don’t leave it so long next time, eh, Jim?
TotalFilm (5 stars):

Game-changing – yes. Spectacular – absolutely. Occasional dodgy dialogue and dramatic imperfections – of course. But still – wait for it… – a titanic achievement.

FilmSchoolRejects
(Grade A):

I can’t imagine someone walking out of a screening of this film and not being in awe. Not necessarily of the film as a whole, but of the technical achievement. James Cameron has truly delivered something that we’ve never seen before. And this achievement isn’t that Pandora looks real or that we believe the Na’vi could exist and connect with them as much as we do the human characters. His achievement is that he’s shown us a glimpse at what filmmaking could be in this century.
ScreenDaily:

The motion capture technique which Cameron pioneered with Weta Digital is extraordinary, and the expressiveness of the Na’vi, as based on full body performances by Worthington, Saldana, Weaver and others, is immensely engaging. The technique moves film leaps and bounds beyond Gollum, King Kong or anything from the Robert Zemeckis canon with the result that Avatar’s digital characters are as compelling as any humans. Most of the Pandora sections are fully animated, yet it is frankly impossible to tell exactly what is and what isn’t while watching.
ScreenRant (4 stars):

Avatar is the most visually amazing film I’ve ever seen. His boasts were valid: Nothing like this has ever been done or seen on the big screen. The incredible scope and detail is really mesmerizing – he created an entire planet with variety and detail that is unparalleled… and had to maintain it throughout a 2 1/2 hour film. It boggles the mind to think that (by my estimate) at least 80% of the film is fully CGI.
Filmstalker:

It’s epic. It is indeed the biggest film I’ve seen. The visuals, and not just some of them, but all of them, are astounding. Cameron weaves 3D and CG effortlessly throughout to build layer upon layer and give us a rich, emotionally strong and dramatic film which doesn’t lose sight of the story or the characters in amongst all that technology.

Everything else serves the story and makes it feel richer and deeper, and adds such a feeling of reality to every shot you genuinely will forget what’s CG and what’s real – and I mean that for the first time ever. Avatar is a stunning piece of work and raises the bar for cinema by such a degree I wonder if anyone will match or clear it in the coming years.
Source: Filmonic

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
JoBlo gave it 7/10.

I still have yet to see a single trailer. So far I'm doing good.

Suspect's Reviews

It has recieved a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty high even for them.

I am so stoked for this movie.

LOL... I didn't even go looking for a review (obviously, considering my thoughts about the film) and yet, as I saw a link for the first reviews, I thought I'd take a look and see what they thought. It's not exactly negative, but see what you think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/...iew?CMP=AFCYAH

I'm seeing it in 3-D Wednesday and Thursday night, because I work at a movie theater. This is so awesome.

Originally Posted by Jrs

Team Avatar: Pandora Police

Youtube user oyguvaltshappy decided to take the second Avatar trailer and mix it with footage from Team America, and the result is epic.

Here’s the original Avatar trailer (incase you need a reminder):

&

And here’s the Team America version:

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Knew the Avatar trailer looked familiar! Ha.

Watch the Hollywood Premiere of James Cameron's Avatar Live This Wednesday Night

This Friday December 18, audiences will finally get to take in James Cameron's first movie since Titanic. But before then, Myspace has the exclusive live stream of the movie's "blue carpet" Hollywood premiere. You can watch Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana and all the stars live at the official MySpace profile for 'Avatar' starting at 6pm PT/9pm ET on Wednesday, December 16. So mark your calendars and join in then. You'll be able to post questions live for our hosts to choose from and ask. Are you seeing Avatar this weekend?

Source: Myspace

First Avatar screening receives a standing ovation!

Moviegoers in London rose to their feet in praise of James Cameron's new SF feature Avatar, lauding the technical achievements of the hugely expensive epic, CNN reports.

Cameron has reinvented genre cinema before with the still-pretty-awesome CGI of 1992's Terminator 2: Judgement Day. He then went on to direct Titanic, which would become the highest grossing film of all time. To say that after a 12-year absence from features that the stakes were high for Cameron would be an understatement, given that Cameron developed entirely new camera systems to create the world of Pandora, where his 3D saga takes place.

But considering the reception that Avatar has gotten in London prior to its general release, and the fact that according to the Hollywood Reporter the film was named "Best Picture" by the New York Film Critics Online, there's the possibility that Cameron might be able to pull off creating yet another turning point in movie history.

Source: Sci-Fi Wire

Movie Forums Extra
My heart is beating all the day long, waiting for the movie in this evening. Haven;t seen someone who disliked this movie

Making a difference
Final Theatrical Poster for James Cameron's Avatar

love this poster. love it.

Avatar: The Making of the Bootleg

For years we’ve been hearing about the revolutionary technology being used by James Cameron to make Avatar, but what we haven’t been hearing about is the revolutionary technology used to make the Avatar bootleg. Now the makers have put together a video to give us a behind the scenes look at how they made the bootleg that will change bootlegs forever:

&feature=player_embedded

‘Avatar’ Sex Scenes Likely on Blu-ray Disc

Avatar filmgoers left wondering whether the avatar body of Jake Sully (Sam Worthington) indeed had sex with alien Net’tiri (Zoe Saldana) on mythical Pandora could get their answer when the James Cameron sci-fi theatrical blockbuster is released on Blu-ray Disc and DVD later this year by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment.

Cameron reportedly shot a computer-generated “coupling” between the two eight-foot tall characters that had to be omitted from the 'PG-13'-rated theatrical release.

The film ended 2009 edging out Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince as the second-highest grossing movie at the domestic box office with $309 million — despite a Dec. 18 release, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com.

“We had it in and we cut it out,” Cameron said in a recent group interview, according to ReelzChannel.com. “So that will be something for the special edition DVD, if you want to see how they have sex.”

Source: HomeMediaMagazine.com