Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

James McTeigue Reveals His Superman Reboot Idea

Last week, major superman news broke out that Warner Brothers lost possession of the rights to the Man of Steel’s origins.

The Judge had made another ruling on this decade-long court battle which stated that heirs of Superman creators Jerry Siegel and Joel Schuster now own most of Superman’s early history. This obviously was another major blow to WB who found out earlier (in another ruling) that they’d be completely losing Superman come 2013.

For the film franchise, the court rulings meant that the studio needed to fast-track production of their Superman reboot plans, and the rumor was that James McTeigue and the Wachowski brothers would be put in charge of that task.

McTeigue stopped by the offices of MTV’s Splash Page and spoke with them about his vision for the Superman reboot. Not surprisingly, he didn’t confirm his involvement… or deny it, but he at least explained his idea for what he’d like the movie to be.

“I think if I was ever going to go near Superman, I would do a complete reboot—take it in a direction that you would absolutely not expect, actually… So, that would be my thinking on it, if I was ever going to go near Superman.”
Building on the recent news of Warner Brothers’ recent loss of the rights to Superman’s origins, McTeigue took it in a positive light, using it for his idea for the next film.

“I think it’s good that they just had a court case where, basically, if you make another Superman movie, you can’t touch Superman growing up—that’s part of the story that you can’t touch any more… That wouldn’t be a bad thing. I think everybody’s a bit sick of seeing the origin story.”
Assuming he has the gig as director of Man of Steel, he’s simply defending his employer. Of course he has to make good of the news if he’s helming the project.

The idea all along was to make the re-boot more action-packed and move on past the same old stuff. That would mean less origins and less (or no) Lex Luthor. We need action, story and a worthy villain.

So, while James McTeigue still hasn’t been officially confirmed to be attached to the project, it certainly sounds like he will be.

Source: MTV via Screenrant

Marvel Movie Updates: Black Widow’s Future

Due to her involvement in the upcoming sequel to Iron Man, Scarlett Johansson has been through an interesting ride up to this point, and we’re still nine months away from the movie’s release.

It all started with some negative reaction at her being cast into the role of the red-haired, slim-fit Russian spy, but after some pictures surfaced of her sporting a new look and reports of her working out for the role, heads were starting to turn in the right direction. Then the first images of her in costume made their way online and they were also received in a positive light helping solidify director Jon Favreau’s decision to give her the role.

Like all of the other contracts we’ve seen actors sign for with Marvel Studios, Scarlett has a multi-picture deal that could bring her and her Russian alter ego back for a couple more movies if Iron Man 2 does well and her character is liked by the fans.

From the footage we saw at the San Diego Comic-Con Iron Man 2 panel, we got a little glimpse of her in action and that seemed fine, but the deciding point for most folks will be how she pulls off the Russian accent which is essential for the character.

So, where could we see her again after Iron Man 2? Iron Man 3 is an obvious choice but there have also been rumblings of her having a part in the most ambitious comic book movie ever, The Avengers.

Screen Rant was in a group interview with Marvel President of Production, Kevin Feige, in San Diego and he mentioned her as a likely name attached to The Avengers project along with Nick Fury and the S.H.I.E.L.D. organization.

As for the pretty lady playing Natasha Romanoff, Scarlett spoke with Ireland On-Line and openly admitted her desires for more parts in the other Marvel blockbusters in development, and was fond of the idea of a spin-off for Black Widow if fans support her and enjoy her character.

“I hope I get to come back and do it again… The character certainly comes back. We see that she does in the comics and certainly she is a big part of The Avengers. I don’t know if that is where it’s going to go but she is definitely a big part of The Avengers.”
Scarlett also interviewed with CanMag about her character, describing the two vastly different sides she gets to explore in Iron Man 2.

“I think that the character is sort of a shape shifter… It was sort of like playing two different characters. One character is more kind of mysterious, I don’t want to say submissive, but she’s blending in with the crowd I suppose. The other part of this character is someone who is assertive and knows their sh*t. She’s able to just say, ‘I’m going to fight this head on.’ For me, being able to have that kind of feeling, being able to be competent enough to sell it, that this is somebody who is going to kick some ass and don’t for a second doubt that she’s going to follow through with the punch. It was a challenge for me but Jon [Favreau] was incredible. He really supported me with this.”
She also spoke a bit about working with Marvel Studios on a massive project, but more than that, signing up with a multi-picture contract that may allow her to be a part of Marvel’s future stories.

“I think as an actor, I think certainly in this particular situation, and I know that Robert [Downey Jr]. has had this, you kind of become invested in these films as much as the studio is and you’re able to develop your character with the studio and have a lot of input in that sense. So to me that’s exciting because rarely as an actor do we get to take it to that level. We see a beginning, a middle and an end hopefully and then one two or so segment and then you’re done with it. But, for me to be able to build something and to think about this, especially a character that’s had so many different kinds of histories and paths, to think about where she might go and where we kind of find out more about her, I feel like that’s something that you invest yourself in and work for.”
Look out for Scarlett Johansson as the Black Widow as Iron Man 2 kicks off next summer, opening May 7, 2010.

Source: Screenrant

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
Nice im looking forward to seeing The Wolfman

Robin Williams Confirms Happy Feet 2

Robin Williams, who played multiple characters in the animated dancing-penguin movie Happy Feet, confirmed that production is moving forward on a sequel, which begins shooting in Australia at the beginning of the year.

Director George Miller is already mounting recording sessions in his native country.

"I go to Australia in January," Williams said in a group interview on Friday in Beverly Hills, Calif., where he was promoting the dark comedy World's Greatest Dad. "He's going to record there, which is great."

Williams recalled Miller's invitation by impersonating the director's soft-spoken, accented voice. "He's a very sweet man," Williams said. "He goes, 'Robin, I think we're gonna do another one.' Great, George. It's so great, because you realize George Miller, he did all those Road Warrior movies, and then he does this penguin movie."

The comedian went on to take a jab at Miller's frequent Mad Max star, the troubled movie star Mel Gibson. "'And Mel's going to play a voice,'" Williams riffed in his Miller voice. He was, of course, just joking.

For his own characters, Williams will limit himself to the two he established in the first Happy Feet. He changed his voice dramatically to voice the South American penguin Ramon and the deep-voiced love guru Lovelace, but Williams has no plans to invent any new penguin voices.

Source: Sci Fi Wire

Deathly Hallows Split Confirmed

A few months ago director David Yates said they have “three or four different ideas” where to end the first film, and that it will most likely be a cliffhanger. Well Joshua Herdman, who plays Darco Malfoy’s tag-along Goyle, has let slip where the break will occur. As the book has been out for a few years and you can read what happens on Wikipedia it’s not really a spoiler, however if you don’t want to know how the first film ends I suggest you stop reading now.

From MTV:

According to Herdman, part one of “Deathly Hallows” will close right after Harry (Daniel Radcliffe), Ron (Rupert Grint) and Hermione (Emma Watson) are captured by the Snatchers. Part two will open as the trio and their captors arrive at Malfoy Manor. So that’s that.

Herdman also confirmed
WARNING: "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" spoilers below
that his character will be the Slytherin henchman who dies, not Crabbe (played by Jamie Waylett), as it is written in the book.
MuggleNet states that the change came after Waylett was arrested and convicted of cannabis possession, and that he is not expected to have a part in “Deathly Hallows.”
Source: Filmonic

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
I wonder if he had permission to say that. I'm wondering if the studio kind of wanted to keep that a secret.

Twilight Director To Helm ‘Gothic’ Little Red Riding Hood

Variety is reporting that Twilight director Catherine Hardwicke has signed on to helm Warner Bros./Appian Way’s new gothic take on the classic Little Red Riding Hood fairytale. The Girl With The Red Riding Hood already has Orphan scribe David Johnson on-board as the screenwriter, and the film is said to be a retelling of the classic children’s tale, with a teenage love triangle at its center.

Not much is known about the project other than that it will be a gothic retelling of the classic fairytale. One of the studios bringing us Riding Hood is Appian Way, which is co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio. As /Film notes, they announce new projects pretty frequently and this one just slides in as another one of those in the works. In other words: unless the project is fast-tracked, we may not see it on the big-screen all that soon.

Hardwicke is in high demand as a director right now, being attached to Hamlet, 21 Jump Street, If I Stay and Maximum Ride. Her previous directing credits, along with the aforementioned Twilight, include Thirteen, Lords of Dogtown and The Nativity Story.

The “Little Red Riding Hood” story has had many-an-interpretation over the years, with probably the most famous being by the Brothers Grimm. I’m interested to see what WB and Appian are going to ultimately bring us with this gothic take on the tale (there was already one in the early ’80s)- it’s certainly a story that can be looked at from a lighthearted point of view, as well as a dark one. We’ll have to wait and see if the potential of the latter is fulfilled.

The Girl With The Red Riding Hood is currently in the development stages and doesn’t have a release date yet.

with a teenage love triangle at its center.
All I can say is, I hope it's not the Wolf, Red Riding Hood, and Grandmother...

I'm not sure, with all these girls getting pregnant earlier and earlier, .

'Eclipse' Actor Claims There Will Be Five Twilight Movies

Will moviegoers be seeing a lot more Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart?

Yes, according to Eclipse's newest cast member, Boo Boo Stewart, who claims there will be five flicks in the Twilight saga altogether -- two more than previously announced

"I heard there's going to be three more movies," Stewart, who plays wolfpack member Seth Clearwater, tells Access Hollywood. "Eclipse, Breaking Dawn and there should be one more."

The actor's rep also told Access that additional films are in the works.

A rep for production company Summit Entertainment tells Usmagazine.com, "We appreciate our young actor's enthusiasm for the franchise and his role, but his comments about the number of films were unfortunately uninformed and not accurate. However, the fans should rest assured the we're working with Stephenie Meyer to bring Breaking Dawn to the big screen."

Breaking Dawn is the fourth and final book in Meyer's series.

Source: Us Magazine

Followers Gather for Saw VI Poster

Not long ago, Lionsgate released a "motion poster" for Saw VI exclusively to Yahoo. The image was a portrait of John Kramer (aka Jigsaw), represented by the culmination of his "followers." The poster has now come into better focus and, as you can see, the tiny people are all wearing pig masks and robes. This is the third one-sheet Lionsgate has drafted for the film, see the other two here and look for the film in theaters on October 23.

Source: Shock Till You Drop

UPDATED: Child's Play Remake in the Works

Child's Play
While many of producer David Kirschner's recent movies with his partner Corey Siniega, such as the biopic Miss Potter and the upcoming Martian Child, might not necessarily be "Shock-worthy", Kirschner's second film, Child's Play roughly twenty years ago kicked off a popular horror franchise that has inspired many imitations and four sequels.

ShockTillYouDrop.com
had a chance to interview Kirschner for his upcoming movie where he surprised us by announcing that they were working on another "Chucky" movie, which would be a remake of the original Child's Play. (But surely, we all knew this was coming, right?)

"We're discussing it with Don Mancini, who has written all of them with us from the beginning," Kirschner told us. "The next one we're going to do is we're going back and remaking the first one and even pushing it further and making a very terrifying version of the first one, which is pretty scary as it is."

UPDATE: A bit of a misunderstanding from our original conversation, which David was nice enough to rectify. They've been talking to Don Mancini, writer of all the films and director of Seed of Chucky, to actually direct the remake, something that was a bit unclear. David told us, "Don has been my partner from the beginning of this franchise and has some very very creepy and scary ideas about going back to the
original and giving it some more bite that we believe will satisfy the appetite of today's horror fans (and loyal Chucky fans, as well.) Our hope and plan is that Don will write and direct the film and he and I look forward to getting the studio on board with us asap."

Michael Myers to Speak in Halloween II?

Will the silent killer known as Michael Myers finally speak during his adult years? Possibly. Here's a Twitter update on the status of Halloween II which is currently in post-production.

"Off to meet Tyler for some Michael Myers ADR. Sleeping some day would be great."
ADR means "additional dialogue recording." So does Zombie have Tyler Mane coming in punch up actual "dialogue" or will the actor merely be grunting and breathing heavy? Zombie has flirted with the idea of adult Myers talking before. In an early draft of 2007's Halloween, Myer's uttered the word "Boo" when he met Laurie Strode.

Halloween II opens August 28th.

Dakota Fanning Dorothy in (Dark) Wizard of Oz?

Over two years ago it was reported that Warner Bros. was trying to bring a “dark and twisted” version of The Wizard of Oz to the big screen, loosely based on Spawn creator Todd McFarlane’s Twisted Land of Oz toy line. Since that time there’s been little to no word on the development of the project - until now.

UK trade paper The Daily Express is reporting that the Twisted Land of Oz movie could go into production next year, and that actress Dakota Fanning is being heavily eyed to star as the Dorothy character - specifically Dorothy’s granddaughter - in the present day re-imagining/sequel to the classic tale.

At last word (two years ago) A History of Violence scribe Josh Olsen was working on a screenplay for WB. Olsen claimed back then that while he wanted the Twisted Land of Oz film to be darker than the original, he didn’t want it to be as borderline Rated-R as McFarlane’s toy line. For example, take a look at the Twisted Land of Oz versions of Dorothy and her friends The Cowardly Lion and The Tin Man (see the Scarecrow up above):

"Dorothy and the Munchkins"

"The Not-So-Cowardly Lion"

"The Tin Man"

Freaky right?

As for what McFarlane himself envisions for the Twisted Land of Oz movie:

“You’ve still got Dorothy trapped in an odd place, but she’s much closer to the Ripley character from Alien [Sigourney Weaver] than a helpless singing girl.”
The guys over at Slash Film have raised some doubts about The Daily Express story - specifically whether or not Fanning is in fact being tapped to star. Until we have confirmation from the actress herself or reps at Warner Bros., keep this news filed under “RUMOR.”

“Twisted Land of Oz” action figures can be purchased at McFarlane Toys.

God I hope not.