Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

Bill Birch Says Shazam! To Captain Marvel

Early this year it was rumored that the Captain Marvel movie Shazam! was over, based on screenwriter John August's reports that the project was dead. When the movie's producer mentioned that the project probably wasn't as dead as it seemed, it was fair to assume that a new writer was taking over from now on.

And indeed he is. Bill Birch has signed on to write the film, according to Variety, with Get Smart director Peter Segal still on board as well. Apparently the idea is to go back to the original comic for inspiration with this new script.

Source: Cinema Blend

In the Beginning...
Peter Jackson May Direct A Third Hobbit Movie
I'm calling bravo sierra on this one. News like this is way too speculative, and I don't see how The Hobbit even warrants two "bridge" films, much less the one we know we're getting. I can't see Peter Jackson favoring this, especially since they're not even far into preproduction on the first film. This is just wishful thinking, or a studio's way of drumming up interest for all things LOTR coming down the pipe.

I could maybe see Jackson interested in writing/producing film adaptations of other published stories pertaining to Middle-Earth, such as the Silmarillion (which is about as unfilmable as anything can get anyway) and the books written by Tolkien's son. But not at this stage.

The Wolfman trailer is here!

Last month Universal decided to push The Wolfman back from November 6th 2009 to February 12th 2010, which annoyed a few people as it’s the second time the film had been pushed back. However, to ease the pain Universal promised that we would finally be getting a trailer, and that trailer is now online. Watch below!

&e

Source:
&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffilmonic.com%2F and Filmonic

Zemeckis to Remake Yellow Submarine

Robert Zemeckis, known Who Framed Roger Rabbit and the Back to the Future trilogy, has inked a deal to direct a remake of Beatles’ classic Yellow Submarine for Disney.

It sounds like a pretty ridiculous idea… and maybe it is… but it might just work.

“Submarine” was released in 1968. It’s now 2009. I believe it’s old enough to warrant a remake…. Especially if they’re going to get their hands on all the classic ‘Beatles’ songs.

Variety says the studio has been quietly brokering a complicated rights deal that would give Zemeckis access to 16 original Beatles songs for a movie he will direct in the performance-capture 3-D digital production format he employed for “A Christmas Carol.”

Disney don’t want to let this one sit and get itself together either… they’re hoping to have it ready in time for the 2012 Summer Olympics, which begins July 27 in London.

The storyline of the original took place in Pepperland, an undersea paradise protected by Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. When the band is captured by the music-hating Blue Meanies, a soldier is sent to Liverpool to fetch the Fab Four, who hop in the submarine and save the day.

Source: Moviehole

This is going to sound really weird, but the Yellow Submarine gives me a tummy ache. I can't explain it. Whenever I watch something, especially if it's animated, and it starts getting super weird or frenetic, it gives me a tummy ache.
Another example of this would be The Last Unicorn and Felix the Cat. I think Disney doing The Yellow Submarine is like Kool Aid manufacturing crack.

Do Pending Lawsuits Mean No Terminator 5?

Just a couple weeks after it was reported that McG was prepping Terminator 5, it appears that the film may be dead in the water. According to a number of sources, a proposed sequel to this year’s underwhelming Terminator: Salvation may be out of the question due to a legal dispute between The Halcyon Co. (which own the rights to the Terminator franchise) and Pacificor (a Santa Barbara, California-based hedge fund that helped Halcyon buy the franchise).

As explained in the L.A. Times, The Halcyon Co., which is headed by Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek, has filed two separate $30M lawsuits against the company (one against Pacificor and one against a former Pacificor employee).

What’s all the litigation about?

I’m glad you asked, because it’s a little complicated. The lawsuits stem back to April 2007, when Pacificor first issued Halycon a $30M loan to acquire the rights to Terminator. In December of 2007, Pacificor provided an additional $5M bridge loan to Halcyon. This month, Pacificor filed a lien against Dominion Group (a subsidiary of Halcyon, which is also operated by Anderson and Kubicek) for the $5M loan. According to Anderson and Kubicek, however, they don’t owe a penny. According to them, Pacificor filed the lien in a “desperate and deliberate attempt to seize ownership and control of the Halcyon entities and of the ['Terminator'] franchise.”

Juicy stuff, right? The second lawsuit against former Pacificor Vice President Kurt Benjamin is even better. According to that lawsuit, Benjamin committed fraud by knowingly hiding the fact that he was working for Pacificor at the time he was negotiating with Anderson and Kubicek. By not disclosing his relationship with Pacificor, Benjamin was able to negotiate better terms for his company. Anderson and Kubicek also claim in their lawsuit that Benjamin encouraged them to invest in the production of a Terminator Salvation video game which would help ensure that the company “would not be able to meet its obligations and would therefore fall under the total control of Pacificor.” (Not very much faith in the video game, ay?)

The complaint also alleges, among other things, that Benjamin “blackmailed” Halcyon by forcing the company to pay kickbacks to close its various loans, that Pacificor CEO Andrew Mitchell demanded a $250,000 a year salary to serve on Halcyon’s board, and that fellow Salvation producer Moritz Borman intentionally forced the film over budget so the company would default on its loans.

What does this mean for Terminator 5?

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your opinion of Terminator), because of the lien against Dominion Group, Anderson and Kubicek have been unable to borrow money against their $7.5M producer fees for Terminator: Salvation to begin production on Terminator 5. In fact, according to Variety, T. Asset Acquisition (the Halcyon subsidiary which owned the Terminator rights) has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Because the Chapter 11 filing comes only one day after Halcyon filed its two lawsuits, it seems like a pretty sure sign that the company will not retain the rights to the franchise.

Does this mean there will be no Terminator 5 ever? Of course not! It’s Hollywood, and in Hollywood there’s nothing better than a franchise. It’s impossible to speculate exactly when a Terminator sequel could come out or what it could be about until this litigation is resolved. However, assuming that Pacificor wins the rights to Terminator as collateral for Halcyon’s unpaid loans, there’s no reason to suspect that the company would not try and produce their own film. Even though Terminator: Salvation had a hard time finding an audience, the Terminator franchise still has strong value and it would be foolish for Pacificor to simply let it go to waste.

Source: L.A. Times via Screenrant

This is going to sound really weird, but the Yellow Submarine gives me a tummy ache. I can't explain it. Whenever I watch something, especially if it's animated, and it starts getting super weird or frenetic, it gives me a tummy ache.
Another example of this would be The Last Unicorn and Felix the Cat. I think Disney doing The Yellow Submarine is like Kool Aid manufacturing crack.
Some of those old Felix cartoons are whack.

Straight up.

Some of those old Felix cartoons are whack.

Straight up.
I don't understand what happens to my brain when I watch weird **** like that. It's like I physically can't make it work or something. Yellow Submarine just goes from bad to worse. The writers take you down these spiraling rabbit holes from which you never return...

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
I havent seen the first one yet, I need to though...

Gillian Anderson Talks X-Files 3

X-Files News stumbled on to a little news bite that was hanging out on foreign website Dnevnik.

"Of course I would accept to play in a new (third) "X-Files" movie", she said for Dnevnik.hr during the chat with the media and the audience at the last press conference of this 15th edition of the Sarajevo Film Festival.

With this statement, the actress wanted to let people know that she's not bothered with the fact that most of the people call her "Agent Scully" which she has played over a decade in a tv-show and the two feature movies. The third movie, according to her, is in early stages and should be filmed by 2012!"

While they work to confirm the story, there is in fact talk about doing another, even though the last film, I Want to Believe, was rated at 32% on Rotten Tomatoes. But looking at the box office number, it's no surprise that they're talking a third film as it took in over $68m worldwide. And there is even talk of a REBOOT.

Source: Bloody Disgusting

New Fame Poster And Images

MGM has just released a brand new, official poster and a big batch of images for their upcoming Fame remake.

Fame follows a talented group of dancers, singers, actors, and artists over four years at the New York City High School of Performing Arts, a diverse, creative powerhouse where students from all walks of life are given a chance to live out their dreams and achieve real and lasting fame...the kind that comes only from talent, dedication, and hard work.

Below is the new poster and a few sample images. To visit the complete, Fame Image Gallery click here.

Source: Cinema Blend

Bryan Singer to redo 'Excalibur'

Excalibur
Warner Bros. and Bryan Singer are unsheathing Excalibur, redoing the 1981 John Boorman movie about King Arthur and the Knights of the Roundtable.

The project is still in the early stages, with Warners only tying up the remake rights, which it shares with Boorman. Singer’s involvement is still in the talking stage and Legendary Pictures may come aboard the project.

If deals are made, Singer would produce Julie Yorn. Former Warner exec Polly Johnsen (formerly Cohen) would also produce.

The 1981 movie starred Nigel Terry as Arthur and Cherie Lunghi as Guenevere and featured early performances from Liam Neeson, Patrick Stewart and Gabriel Byrne. The movie told the well-known myth, in a gritty and dramatic fashion, of the young man who draws the sword Excalibur from a stone, is mentored by Merlin, establishes Camelot, loses his wife, Guenevere, to his best friend, Lancelot, and engages in the quest for the Holy Grail.

Singer’s Excalibur will be a more epic and fantasy version compared with the more earthy Clive Owen-starring King Arthur movie released by Disney/Touchstone in 2004.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Bourne 4 Gets A New Writer

The fourth installment in the successful Bourne franchise has been in the works for a good while now, always edging ever-closer to actually happening, with every announcement that “the story is being worked on” and that they’re trying to “get it right.” We reported a few weeks ago that the next Bourne movie may be coming later rather than sooner, and last week star Matt Damon told Entertainment Weekly, “[We] have a story and we don’t have script.”

That doesn’t sound too promising…

However, it seems that things have picked up a bit on the Bourne 4 front as Universal has signed writer Josh Zetumer to pen what is being described as a, “parallel script.”

Zetumer hasn’t written any completed film so far, but has written the scripts for Villain (currently in production), Peter Berg’s Dune remake and The Infiltrator, a Warner Bros. project which has Leonardo DiCaprio attached to star.

George Nolfi was originally tapped to write Bourne 4, and was supposed to have produced a draft a couple of months ago. However Nolfi is currently writing and directing The Adjustment Bureau (also starring Damon, FYI), which starts production next month, so he had to step away from Bourne 4. It is hoped that once Nolfi’s finished with Bureau, he will make a return to Bourne, but still unclear whether Zetumer and Nolfi’s scripts will be integrated if Nolfi returns, or whether Universal just wants two different scripts to hold side-by-side in order to choose which direction they want to go in (it could be either one, really).

THR notes that although it’s rare, it’s not unheard of that two scripts will be written parallel to one another. It particularly happens with tentpole movies, with notable examples being Wolverine, Fantastic Four: The Rise of the Silver Surfer, Star Trek: Generations and the upcoming Conan remake.

Bourne 4 is (clearly) still in the development stages, but has a hoped release of sometime in the summer of 2011.

Source: Screenrant

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
A lot of images have been removed.

RE: The Wolfman

Great set design, but the transformation looks weak.

Suspect's Reviews

There's also talk of Michael Davis remaking Outland.
Michael Davis to Direct Outland Remake

The Hollywood Reporter announced the other day that Michael Davis, writer and director of the Clive Owen action flick Shoot ‘Em Up, has signed on to helm a remake of the 1981 Sean Connery space western Outland. Chad St. John, who scripted the WB drama The Days Before, is on board to write the screenplay.

The original, which drew comparisons to High Noon, starred Connery as a marshal on one of Jupiter’s moons who is investigating mysterious deaths. He’s forced to take on the colony’s corporate administrators alone when the rest of the colonists refuse to help.

The new take expands the concept, while keeping the original’s theme. The story takes place in an orbiting city around the moon, where a cop uncovers a murderous conspiracy endangering the entire city. With a week before his retirement back to Earth, our hero has to choose between walking away with his wife, or taking on a private army with his overachieving ex-partner and wife’s former boyfriend.

Peter Hyams wrote and directed the original, which also starred Peter Boyle, Frances Sternhagen, James Sikking and John Ratzenberger. Hyams has gone on to helm Timecop, Sudden Death, The Relic and End of Days.

Davis’ other credits include Monster Man, Girl Fever and 100 Girls.

Source: The Moving Picture

Second New Moon Teaser Trailer Hits

The new teaser trailer for The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which played in theaters last weekend with Bandslam, has hit the internet. Opening November 20, Christ Weitz-directed film stars Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, Taylor Lautner, Ashley Greene, Peter Facinelli, Dakota Fanning, Elizabeth Reaser, Kellan Lutz, Nikki Reed, Jackson Rathbone, Edi Gathegi, Rachelle Lafevre, Billy Burke, Charlie Bewley, Jamie Campbell Bower, Daniel Cudmore, Cameron Bright, Noot Seer and Michael Sheen.

In the film, Bella Swan (Stewart) is devastated by the abrupt departure of her vampire love Edward (Pattinson) but her spirit is rekindled by her growing friendship with the irresistible Jacob Black (Lautner). Suddenly she finds herself drawn into the world of the werewolves, ancestral enemies of the vampires, and she finds her loyalties tested.

To watch the new trailer click here

Source: Trailer Addict via The Moving Picture