Jrs' Sequel Buzz Thread

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
New Superman film will probably be in the works by 2011
As much as I love the Man of Steel, it's time for his curtain call.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Brandon Routh Wants to Really Play World of Warcraft

Forget Krypton! Superman wants to be the hero of Azeroth instead!

It’s no secret that Brandon Routh is a gamer and a long-time player of the most successful MMORPG ever, World of Warcraft.

With his love of the video game, it’s no surprise that with the recent news of Sam Raimi signing on to direct the World of Warcraft film, Routh wants to be a part of it.

As we all know, Brandon Routh’s contract with WB for his role as the Man of Steel in the Superman franchise has expired along with that of director Bryan Singer. They’re going a different direction with Supes and rumors of who may be taking the reigns have already began to surface in the aftermath of the latest court ruling on the topic of the ownership of Superman.

Well, Routh’s interest is on something else now anyway. In an interview with MTV, the 29 year-old talked about his excitement about Sam Raimi being brought on to helm the World of Warcraft film adaptation and his passion for video games.

“They just announced that Sam Raimi is directing, so that’s very cool… My friends over at Legendary are working on that. … So I’m looking forward to what’s going to happen with that.”
When asked about his desire to get asked to be a part of the project, he teased about the fun he could have with the action and sword-fighting.

World of Warcraft is tentatively listed for a 2011 release but it will definitely be delayed. Raimi’s a busy man with Spider-Man 4 scheduled to open that year.

Source: MTV via Screenrant

New Depraved Sherlock Holmes Poster

Warner Brothers has released a new character poster for the depraved adversary of Sherlock Holmes. His name is Lord Blackwood, he’s played by Mark Strong, he looks every bit the villain he should be. Wait, doesn’t Sherlock Holmes fight Moriarty? Only in some stories and WB his hoping for sequels. You’ve got to build up to a proper arch enemy. He’ll show up eventually, don’t worry.

Directed by Guy Ritchie, Sherlock Holmes sends Holmes and his stalwart partner Watson on their latest challenge. Revealing fighting skills as lethal as his legendary intellect, Holmes will battle as never before to bring down a new nemesis and unravel a deadly plot that could destroy the country. Watch for it in theaters December 25th

Source: Cinema Blend

Insane ‘Machete’ Cast List Confirmed

This answers a few questions people were asking when De Niro’s name came up previously. Primarily, if Fahey is returning, De Niro will not be playing Senator McLaughlin, unless, of course, Fahey has stepped aside to fill another role. A few of these names like Lohan and Rodriguez were also pretty much confirmed already. However, Seagal and Johnson have totally come out of nowhere. I cannot wait to see what role Robert Rodriguez has Seagal filling. This could be his chance at finally playing the villain.

Source: Variety via We Are Movie Geeks
Was the Senator who de Niro's playing not the guy Machete has the contract on who's seen briefly down the sniper scope? Not Fahey's character who puts the contract out

First Look At Narnia's Dragon-Headed Dawn Treader

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is currently in production and the fan sites Narnia Fans and Narnia Web managed to sneak some photos off the set. In particular, they have pictures of the Dawn Treader.

Unlike the other Narnia stories, Voyage of the Dawn Treader isn’t actually set in the land of Narnia. Instead it takes place as an ocean voyage embarked upon by Prince Caspian, traveling to the other realms of their magical, mysterious world. Their ship is called the Dawn Treader and C.S. Lewis describes it in the books as having a gilded bow that resembles a dragon’s head and wings. It looks like the film’s production team has managed to create just that. Below are a couple of photos taken of the film’s ornate bow, click over to Narnia Web and Narnia Fans for even more.

Source: Cinema Blend

Brand New 'Where The Wild Things AreTrailer Now Online!

Warner Brothers has debuted another full length trailer for Where the Wild Things Are today on Yahoo (or you can watch it below from YouTube). As you already know, this stars Max Records as Max as well as Catherine Keener and Mark Ruffalo, and features the voices of James Gandolfini, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker, Paul Dano, and Tom Noonan.

&e

You can also watch the Where the Wild Things Are featurette in High Definition on Yahoo.

Where the Wild Things Are is directed by visionary filmmaker Spike Jonze, of great films like Being John Malkovich and Adaptation previously as well as numerous famous music videos as well. The screenplay was co-written by Spike Jonze and author Dave Eggers, a former Salon.com editor who also wrote Sam Mendes' Away We Go this year. This is based on Maurice Sendak's beloved children's book of the same name. Warner Brothers will finally bringing Where the Wild Things Are to conventional theaters and IMAX October 16th.

Source: FirstShowing.net

Futuristic Robin Hood movie on it’s way

Ridley Scott may be shooting his epic take on Robin Hood with Russell Crowe as we speak, but apparently that doesn’t stop anyone else from making a movie on the English folklore legend. According to RiskyBizBlog, producers Charles Roven (The Dark Knight) and Gianni Nunnari (300) are working with Warner Bros. to give the character a “futuristic makeover”.

“Robin Hood” will be getting a futuristic makeover courtesy of the producers of “The Dark Knight” and “300” as well as Warner Bros., where a new take on the classic tale has been set up.

Atlas Entertainment and Hollywood Gang will produce the untitled saga, while commercials director Nicolai Fuglsig, who pitched the project, has signed on to direct. Jason Hall, the CAA-repped scribe who penned the upcoming Ashton Kutcher dramedy ‘Spread,” will write the screenplay.

Few plot details have been revealed about the new Robin Hood, but it will be set in a dystopian London and center on a band of thieves whose activities restore hope to the city’s embattled population. Producers describe it as “a futuristic action adventure” that will be “both inspired by and pay homage to the legend of Robin Hood.”
Source: Filmonic

New Barbarella Remake in the Works

Robert Rodriguez has been attached to the project for ages, along with actress Rose McGowan as the lead. That deal fell through when the director and the studio had several “creative differences” over the shoot for the project. According to Yahoo, veteran Italian filmmaker Dino De Laurentiis is giving the film a new lease on life.

The 90 year old producer is developing a Barbarella film that will take it into a new direction. Australian director Robert Luketic (The Ugly Truth) is attached to helm, from a screenplay written by Joe Gazzam. According to the trade, “the new take on the iconic character will not be campy, though it will keep the sexuality; there will be seductions, but the focus will be on the adventure.” The original 1968 version is best known for making Jane Fonda an international sex symbol among fans.

Source: Screencrave

McG Updates ‘20,000 Leagues’, Prepping Terminator 5

Two film directing projects on the horizon for McG (Terminator Salvation) is the Disney remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, and the fifth installment in the Terminator franchise, currently being referred to as simply 'Terminator 5'. It appears that McG’s focus is currently on 20,000 Leagues, with T5 to follow after that. Thanks to IESB and Collider, we have an update on both high-profile projects:

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

McG’s film appears to be both a remake of the Richard Fleischer film from 1954 that starred Kirk Douglas and James Mason, as well as a new kind of adaptation of the 1870 novel by Jules Verne. McG has talked about the aim to for his version:

“It’s a bit of a departure from the Fleischer movie, and much more in keeping with the spirit of the novel, as far as what Aronnax is up to, and the becoming of Nemo, and how the man became at war with war itself. So there’s a little bit more meat on the bone in regard to the genesis of the Nemo character than you’re given in the ’50s movie that Disney made. And also, it’s a little more contemporary.”

“I love that [original] movie, but there were two female characters, and they were both prostitutes. And, there were a couple of black people in the film, and they were all electrocuted. So, nowadays, I think we need to progress a little bit beyond that.”

The movie appears to be quite far along in the development stages, since McG reveals they’ve been scouting various shooting locations around the world from France, Japan and England, to Canada, Australia and Hawaii (the latter for some sort of “little volcano work”). McG has revealed he is aiming for it to be an action-packed film, trying to capture the spirit of the adventure from the original story.

Terminator 5

Although McG says his focus is very much on 20,000 Leagues at the moment, he reveals that he’s also prepping Terminator 5. With such a complex world to manage in the Terminator franchise, I’d say McG is wise to at least have the next installment in mind, even if it’s still a ways off.

McG talked about his intention for the Terminator franchise, speaking about whether or not he wants to take a break from it or dive back in, as Michael Bay did with Transformers 2. He says he’s excited about the next part of the series’ story, and talks about a possible angle for it that could see it getting, “out of the apocalyptic world and into the contemporary world.”

Hmmm…

One great thing to hear is that McG is listening to what fans have been saying (good and bad) about Terminator Salvation, and reassures us he takes it on board. He admits that when people don’t like something you’ve done, all you can do is look at what you did wrong (and, indeed, what you did right) and try and evolve as a storyteller.

The part about the next Terminator possibly going from the, “apocalyptic world into the contemporary world,” was first hinted at a few months ago when McG brought up the time travel angle again. An industry source then said that T5 would see the franchise (specifically John Connor) transported back in time to London, England. That, combined with what McG has said above, could mean that rumor could very well turn out to be true.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea is currently in the development stages and doesn’t have a release date yet. Terminator 5 is in the prep stage and also doesn’t have a release date.

Sources: Collider and IESB via Screenrant

I have no idea what youre talkin about, but that pic was used in an article for this on Screencrave and I thought it looked cool.
The pic, i'm pretty sure, is from the BBC Robin Hood series

The pic, i'm pretty sure, is from the BBC Robin Hood series
Yes it is.. I looked it up just now. But I guess Screenrave thought that pic had a interesting/cool look to it so they used it. Again, I used it cause it looked cool. It's a robin hood pic. BBC or not. I'm sure no matter what pic is used in an article, whether that, an animated robin hood or whatever.....the idea of the article gets across.

Jay Chou Officially Cast as Kato in Rogen's Green Hornet

Sony has confirmed via a press release today (read it here) that they've cast Taiwanese actor Jay Chou in the role instead. Chou is a singer and actor (much like Korean star Rain) and a huge star throughout Asia and will definitely draw international crowds. “Jay is incredibly unique and charming and fights like a wild dog! When I filmed him next to Seth, they had such great chemistry, and I knew the movie will be great," director Michel Gondry said about casting him.

"It's an overwhelming experience to take on a role made famous by Bruce Lee. I won't try to be Bruce Lee's Kato – I will try to bring my own interpretation to the part. Of course, it's a dream role, and I'm looking forward to the challenge." A classic character of film, television, radio, and comic books returns to the big screen in Columbia Pictures' feature film The Green Hornet, starring Seth Rogen as the vigilante crime-fighter. This being directed by Michel Gondry from a screenplay written by Seth Rogen & Evan Goldberg, based upon "The Green Hornet" radio series. The Green Hornet is set to hit theaters on July 9th, 2010.

Source: FirstShowing.net

Steven Spielberg producing Halo: The Fall of Reach

District 9 is released next week and is director Neill Blomkamp’s first feature film, however if 20th Century Fox and Universal didn’t pull the plug his first big film could have been a movie adaptation of the game Halo. Peter Jackson was producing and his special effects company WETA were working on the effects, however the studios didn’t want to take a risk with the first time director. Blomkamp recently spoke to MTV about his time working on the film, and confirmed that it was dead:

“It’s completely and utterly dead,” he said, with a small, wistful grin. “‘Halo’ is a really tough one for me… it keeps coming up.” Not terribly surprising, considering how passionate and loyal the gamer fanbase — and the “Halo” fanbase in particular — tends to be.

“It’s tough because I spent five months working on it, like 24 hours a day. Not only because it was my first film and I had an opportunity to try and, you know, make the best film I could make, but I loved the creative environments of ‘Halo’ so much,” he said. “The whole universe is incredibly compelling.”
Even though that particular Halo project wasn’t moving forward writer Stuart Beattie (G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra) who is a fan of the game decided to write a ’spec script’, which is basically a script he didn’t get paid for and which he will be presenting to movie studios in the hope that it will get a greenlight. The title of the script was Halo: Fall of Reach. Last year Latino Review read and reviewed the script and has this to say:

The script is, first and foremost, a character-driven story about a soldier named John who was kidnapped or “conscripted” by the UNSC when he was just six years old, and then brutally trained to become an elite Spartan warrior known as Master Chief 117.

The script then takes us through the horrific first contact with the Covenant hordes on the doomed colony world of Harvest, and then climaxes with the spectacular fall of the UNSC forward base on Reach, during which every other Spartan is slaughtered.
Now according to IESB a producer and director who goes by the name of Steven Spielberg is currently in active negotiations to develop the film based on Stuart Beattie’s script.

Spielberg is blown away by writer Stuart Beattie’s take on the game in his script entitled 'HALO THE FALL OF REACH'. This coupled with the fact that his Dreamworks umbrella is looking for a big tent pole to help launch their newly independant studio with distribution over at Walt Disney Pictures after losing Transformers to Paramount in the separation, it’s the perfect combination.

Word is CAA, who rep both Spielberg and Beattie, is pushing these negotiations heavily.
If these negotiations work out well we could be getting a Steven Spielberg produced Halo film. There is also the possibility that Spielberg could get Peter Jackson back on-board seeing as though both he and Jackson are working on Tintin together. If things work out the big question will be who they get to direct.

Underworld 4 On It's Way...and in 3-D

According to ShockTillYouDrop Screen Gems are moving ahead with Underworld 4, after being pleased with the performance of Underworld: Rise of the Lycans earlier this year. It made $91 million (not including DVD sales), nearly tripling it’s $35 million budget.

No word on which cast members will return. If Michael Sheen, Bill Nighy and Rhona Mitra sign on it will probably be another prequel, however if Kate Beckinsale returns it may be a sequel to the original films. Like with Resident Evil: Afterlife, Screen Gems have decided to shoot the film in 3D.

Iron Man 2 Comic-Con Footage Leaked!

Yes, the footage did get yanked unfortunately on YouTube by Marvel and Paramount. But until a clear copy of the Iron Man 2 trailer gets released, you can still watch it here.