MTV Movie Awards 2002

Tools    

Forget the Crap-ademy Awards and the Golden Turds, we all know the most fun Awards show of the year is always the MTV Movie Awards.

Fabulous Moments from recent years include the "Tom Cruise Stunt Double, Tom Crooze, sketch." "The Who writes this crap? sketch" and of course the aftermath to Jim Carrey's Oscar Snub.

Here are this year's nominees...

Best Male Performance
Elijah Wood Lord of the Rings
Vin Diesel Fast and the Furious
Josh Hartnett Pearl Harbour
Russell Crowe A Beautiful Mind
Will Smith Ali

Best Female Performance
Kate Beckinsale Pearl Harbour
Halle Berry Monster's Ball
Reese Witherspoon Legally Blonde
Nicole Kidman Moulin Rouge!
Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider

Best On-Screen Team
Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker Rush Hour 2
Vin Diesel, Paul Walker Fast and the Furious
Eddie, Cameron and Mike Shrek
The 11 Ocean's 11
Ben Stiller, Owen Wilson Zoolander

Best Villain
Aaliyah Queen of the Damned
Denzel Washington Training Day
Tim Roth Planet of the Apes
Zhang Ziyi Rush Hour 2
Christopher Lee Lord of the Rings

Best Comedic Performance
Eddie Murphy Shrek
Chris Tucker Rush Hour 2
Seann William Scott American Pie 2
Mike Myers Shrek
Reese Witherspoon Legally Blonde

Best Musical Sequence
Moulin Rouge
A Knight's Tale
Rush Hour 2
Moulin Rouge

Best Kiss
Biggs and Scott American Pie 2
Ledger and Sossamon A Knight's Tale
Kidman and McGregor Moulin Rouge
Firth and Zellwegger Bridget Jones' Diary
Kirshner and Polcyn Not Another Teen Movie

Best Action Sequence
Pearl Harbour
Fast and the Furious
Black Hawk Down
Lord of the Rings

Best Fight
The One
Tomb Raider
Rush Hour 2
Lord of the Rings

Breakthrough Male
Paul Walker
DMX
Daniel Radcliffe
Orlando Bloom
Colin Hanks

Breakthrough Female
Mandy Moore
Britney Spears
Shannyn Sossamon
Penelope Cruz
Anne Hathaway

Best Movie
Legally Blonde
Lord of the Rings
Shrek
Fast and the Furious
Black Hawk Down

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Originally posted by bigvalbowski
Breakthrough Female
Britney Spears
What did she break through? Her shirt?

Honestly, and this is IMO, Myers and Murphy shouldn't both be nominated in comedic performance since they were in the same movie. That's kinda rude to others out there. But this is MTV, so why should it matter.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by spudracer
But this is MTV, so why should it matter.
Why should The Academy matter? Honestly, I have no more respect for the Oscar picks than I do the MTV picks.

This forum is getting very snappy lately. Let's not fight about which award show is better. The MTV awards are stupid and they know they're stupid. But they're funny. So I forgive them.

Sean WIlliam Scott getting a nomination for best comedic performance is finally justice served. His work was amazing. He only had to look at a character and I'd spill my coke. Top marks to that man. "The force is strong in that one".

Where was Watts/Harding for Best Kiss? Damn it! Mulholland Drive was a cool movie and MTV used to reward cool. Now they're giving Crossroads and A Walk To Remember nominations. What has happened to the youth of today?

I don't see the problem with my expressing how horrible the Oscars have been. Actually, atrocious would be a better word.

Sean WIlliam Scott getting a nomination for best comedic performance is finally justice served. His work was amazing. He only had to look at a character and I'd spill my coke. Top marks to that man. "The force is strong in that one".

Where was Watts/Harding for Best Kiss?
I agree! In both AP 2 and Dude, Where's My Car (a movie I adore for being a completely braindead, hilarious flick), Scott kicked @ss. His face, his reactions...

And Watt and Harding in MD, well, it was, to say the least, an incredibly steamy, sexy scene. Plus, that movie was the freakin' bomb, anyway. It should've been there--they nominated Sarah Michelle Gellar and Selma Blair for Cruel Intentions, for Chrissakes!

At least they nominated Bridget Jones' Diary for best kiss--it was an awesome kiss. Colin Firth... yum. And Reese Witherspoon for Legally Blonde--that movie passed under too many radars for as good as it was.

Mary Lo

I haven't seen Legally Blonde but I'm surprised by its award recognition, especially at something as prestigious as the Golden Globes.

Its trailer was soooo horrible. I love Reese Witherspoon. Election is the best high-school movie ever made. But her acting, in the trailer, seems to me to be inspired by Alicia Silverstone.

And Seann (is it one or two n's?) William Scott is a comic god. Except for Evolution where he didn't get enough time.

Have you heard the title of Dude, Where's My Car's sequel? It is officially the greatest sequel title in the history of movies:

Seriously Dude, Where's My Car?

It makes me chuckle anyway.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I think that Mulholland Dr was too...mind-boggling for most teenagers to understand. So it makes sense, them not recognizing it.

Have you heard the title of Dude, Where's My Car's sequel? It is officially the greatest sequel title in the history of movies:

Seriously Dude, Where's My Car?
[/b]
If a sequel is made, that's the only title for it!

And about Legally Blonde, I too was skeptical. The trailers, as you said, certainly didn't give a good impression. But it was very funny, and smart, too. I worked in a law school library for a few years, although not Harvard-level, and the portrayal of law school was dead on. The egos, the superiority, all of it. Seriously dude, check it out.

BTW, Reese Witherspoon (am I the only one who's noticed this?) has made some really intelligent career moves (Little Nicky notwithstanding). That girl's gonna own Hollywood in five years, mark my words.

And Seann is with two n's.

The Gweat and Tewwible
I read that it will be airing on Thursday at 9:00...I can't watch it on that day. My friends assure me that they will play it again b/c they repeat stuff alot. Should I worry about not beeing able to catch it this weekend??? I am really looking forward to seeing Ewan, Nicole K, Jack Black, and Orlando Bloom...I don't want to miss it

And I agree about the Bridget Jones's kiss and Colin Firth, yum. The kiss scene with Scott and Biggs was actually pretty funny though. Too bad Ewan and Nicole didn't win, I didn't vote enough...and they didn't practice enough

Fear not, Oz--the only thing MTV loves more than the event itself is showing the event again... and again...

You'll have plenty of opportunities to see it. Pity the poor bastards who decided they didn't need cable this summer so they could get rid of a monthly bill.

I would be referring to myself at this point. I'm gonna have to bribe somebody to tape it for me. I can't miss Jack Black.

The Gweat and Tewwible
No you cannot. My friend never remembers to tape things for me, only for herself. Therefore, I have to take myself over to her house. :sigh: At least I won't miss it...Its going to be awesome. I just found out the winner, actually. I wasn't sure yet, I guess there will be no surprises, but oh well!

crazed out movie freak
if i had to watch an awards show it would have to be this one. the academy has dissapointed me so many times in the past. so i just crossed over to the mtv show. besides it's a whole lot funnier anyway. just a shame its not a live show

yeah this ones always funny as hell, ill tune in tomorrow
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

crazed out movie freak
saw it it was ok. nothin special

i liked the things with LOTR and spiderman, panic romm part was also funny. Everyone should watch it for those three parts, it'll be replayed on MTV all summer

Originally posted by mecurdius
I liked the things with LOTR and Spiderman, Panic Room part was also funny. Everyone should watch it for those three parts
Yes. Those are the best parts of the MTV Movie Awards.

To me, the show does not suck at all (except for eminem and osbourne). MTV makes an award show become a party. I always enjoyed awaited year after year for the next one.

I just wish they had a had a full program of those short films!