Movie Tab II

Tools    

I enjoyed Domino quite a bit meself. Certainly won't be lining any Scotts against the wall, Tony's or otherwise. I gots me a bit of a Keira fixation going on so its possible I'm biased.

Anywho...

Batman Begins (Christopher Nolan 2005)

I still say the first Batman is the best but this one is also quite good. I know there has been talk about how "dark" this one is compared to the first four but I don't really see that. Definitely the coolest Batmobile though, by far.

Batman Returns (Tim Burton 1992)

I forget how enjoyable this one is, I don't think I've seen it as many times as the rest of them for whatever reason. It doesn't have 'sharks with frikkin' laser beams attached to their heads' but it does however have penguins with rockets strapped to their backs. That my friends is called ENTERTAINMENT, yes it is.

"Women. Nothing surprises me, Chip, except your late mother. Who'd have thought Selina had a brain to damage. Bottom line, she tries to blackmail me, I'll drop her out a higher window. Meantime, I got better fish to fry."

Max (Christopher The Man Walken) Shreck

Batman Forever (Joel Schumacher 1995)

These last two are so much more colorful than the first two aren't they? Just full of day-glo and iridescent paint and all kinds of good stuff. I like the flick but hated the Batmobile, just stupid looking... the car from the first two flicks was way cooler.

Batman & Robin (Joel Schumacher 1997)

I guess if I want to remain in good standing around here I must now proceed to bash the ever luvin' crap out of this flick. The term "Bandwagoner" comes to mind. To me this one is slightly less entertaining than the first three but not by much. If anything this one is a throwback to the sixties show, quite a few bad one liners and random speeches. To me, to call this movie one of the worst ever made is totally laughable. I think you may just need to start watching more movies.

Clash City Rocker
The Matrix- Wow. Watched this earlier today for the first time and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Great story and nice visuals

The Blair Witch Project- Also watched this today, unique idea behind the film and the story was pretty good however nothing really stood out until the final scene, which I will admit was pretty scary.

I'm not old, you're just 12.

I guess if I want to remain in good standing around here I must now proceed to bash the ever luvin' crap out of this flick. The term "Bandwagoner" comes to mind. To me this one is slightly less entertaining than the first three but not by much. If anything this one is a throwback to the sixties show, quite a few bad one liners and random speeches. To me, to call this movie one of the worst ever made is totally laughable. I think you may just need to start watching more movies.
I hated Batman & Robin when it first came out, back in my fanboy days, but strangely I find it compulsively watchable now. It's insane, over the top, awkwardly written, and just hilarious even when it's trying to be serious. Joel Schumacher gets a lot of crap from people over this one, but he really was a director for hire, he made exactly the film that the studio wanted, a big colourful toy commercial. well, I'm sure they didn't want all the homosexual subtext, but if you work with Schumacher, it's gonna be there. Watch any of his films, it's always there.

Anyways, I just watched:

8 Mile - I liked this a lot the first time I saw it, and still do. The direction is suitably gritty, and I like how the plot avoids the obvious "Rise to stardom" cliches. Eminem is actually a pretty good actor, I always wondered why he never made any more films. If you've read the comic version of Wanted, the main character was based visually on Eminem, I kind of wonder why they didn't attempt to get him involved? (The comic and the movie are almost two completely different animals.)

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Why's there a gun in your trousers?
Last movie I watched was The Matrix but the last dvd I watched was the new Batman: Gotham Knight dvd. Very cool stuff especially the 4th, 5th, and 6th segment. Good animation and a small, but nice buffer to close the gap between Batman Begins and the Dark Knight

Why's there a gun in your trousers?

Hmmm. Bandwagoner...I think not. Its a matter of choice and your taste in film i suppose, but to say that its not the worst....i seriously doubt your judgment. It had horrid acting, an even worse premise, and the most over the top overacting ever in a superhero movie, and thats sayin alot. Seriously, Gov. Arnie? I can see how this could have been cool, if he could act his way out of a paper bag. This movie was a pathetic attempt to carry the franchise and just another paycheck for all the actors involved.

I am half agony, half hope.
The Madness of King George

I loved this movie! It was superbly acted, and the story was very entertaining. Nigel Hawthorne was King George and Helen Mirren was Queen Charlotte. The king slowly develops some 'inconveniences' that eventually leave his monarchy weakened and ripe for his son, George, to swoop in and take over. There are of course political struggles between the King's people and the other factions that would see a different government. This all takes a backseat though to the riveting performances of Hawthorne and Mirren. There is history, humor, and yes, madness here.

Johann von Goethe

Hmmm. Bandwagoner...I think not. Its a matter of choice and your taste in film i suppose, but to say that its not the worst....i seriously doubt your judgment. It had horrid acting, an even worse premise, and the most over the top overacting ever in a superhero movie, and thats sayin alot. Seriously, Gov. Arnie? I can see how this could have been cool, if he could act his way out of a paper bag. This movie was a pathetic attempt to carry the franchise and just another paycheck for all the actors involved.
Yeah, well... that's like, your opinion man... But seriously. You'd call it the worst movie ever made? Like I said I think you really need to watch more movies.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
I've been hearing great things about this movie since I joined here. I will get it this October. I always buy new movies for the holidays. It makes for a good excuse.

He is from Village of the Damned. I love that movie.
you know, its not that i wouldn't recommend the movie. i would. its weird, while i criticize it, in turn i think movie fans, [especially those who appreciate psychological thrillers!] should at least see this once. is that weird? maybe... its not that i thought the movie was bad. it wasn't. it was beautifully shot, and the characters were great, even the anticipation was good. i guess i just felt disappointed with the ending. maybe i was expecting too much. beats me!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
the Mist -- i expected to hate it, and i really, really liked it. its possibly the most depressing thing i've ever seen, though. [well, okay--Requiem for a Dream was the most depressing thing i've ever seen. but this is a close second!]

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Secret of My Succe$s (Herbert Ross, 1987)
- This is a humorous and sexy revision of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, with Michael J. Fox as the perfect leading man. If anything, I may be underrating this flick. It truly has some big laughs, even if it's perhaps not as fresh as it was 20 years ago. Even so, this is much funnier than most recent comedies.

Mad Max (George Miller, 1979)
- The initial Mad Max film did win the Oz equivalent of Best Picture, and I still remember Charles Champlin complaining about how it promoted nihilism and violence and was a disgrace to Awards. Well, Champlin is still with us, and I wonder what he thinks of our currennt films' agendas of "nihilism and violence". The main thing I recall when I watched this at the theatre (really, I had to rush out to watch it because it was the downfall of civilization) was that the entire film was dubbed by a bunch of "Americans". I never heard Mel Gibson's voice or any of the other original voices until it was released in DVD. Yep, even the VHS had the dubbed vocals. Mad Max is still well-worth watching, and if you haven't, check it out ASAP.

The Mountain Road (Daniel Mann, 1960)
- This isn't really boring at all, but it's just a bit too predictable, even with a solid James Stewart performance. It's a tale about the Americans in China at the end of WWII trying to thwart the Japanese at every step, basically by destroying all the bridges and supply stations on their way out of the country. If you like these kind of stories, I recommend it, but otherwise, there are countless films about similar subjects, although most of them aren't made by Americans.

Surprise Package (Stanley Donen, 1960)
- The three best things about this innocuous entertainment are: (1) Yul Brynner, as a fast-talking crook deported from America; (2) Noel Coward, as a deposed king living for decades on the same Mediterranean isle; (3) Mitzi Gaynor, as a woman who turns up at the right place and at the right time for her. The film is quite entertaining if a bit nonsensical, but Yul and Noel are able to smooth everything out.

Who Was That Lady? (George Sidney, 1960)
- Utterly ridiculous and mostly-unfunny adaptation of a Broadway play, but the cast (Tony Curtis, Dean Martin, Janet Leigh) manages to generate a modicum of entertainment, albeit a modest modicum. The funniest parts come in the last 10 minutes, if you're able to last that long.

No Such Thing (Hal Hartley, 2001)
- An awkward fantasy, although in some ways it reminds me of Hellboy, but overall, it just doesn't seem to blend the seriousness of certain scenes with the seemingly-offhand humor involving "The Monster". Actually, it probably is an interesting movie, but Hartley seems to misjudge his tone here, unlike most all of his other flicks.

Duffy (Robert Parrish, 1968)
- This is one of those Swingin' Sixties flicks where most of the characters are trying to "beat" their family members in ways to screw each other over for what they most live for, money. It's apparently a coincidence that the three main actors all have the first name of James: Coburn, Mason and Fox. Susannah York (who went fox hunting in Tom Jones is the lead female character, and she has a relationship with all three of the James. It's not all that bad, although it often seems to be several 10-minute music videos masquerading as a 100-minute movie.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Yes I said 5.

Yes I was serious..

Hellboy II: The Golden Army

Yes I said 5.

Yes I was serious..
Lucky bastard! This is going to the Sunshine / Children of Men this year i think. If only it had the publicity of Dark Knight, i think it could be on equal standing in pumped-to-see levels.

Mad Max (George Miller, 1979)
- The initial Mad Max film did win the Oz equivalent of Best Picture, and I still remember Charles Champlin complaining about how it promoted nihilism and violence and was a disgrace to Awards. Well, Champlin is still with us, and I wonder what he thinks of our currennt films' agendas of "nihilism and violence". The main thing I recall when I watched this at the theatre (really, I had to rush out to watch it because it was the downfall of civilization) was that the entire film was dubbed by a bunch of "Americans". I never heard Mel Gibson's voice or any of the other original voices until it was released in DVD. Yep, even the VHS had the dubbed vocals. Mad Max is still well-worth watching, and if you haven't, check it out ASAP.
I know! Isn't that whole dubbing deal a trip? I was a little young when this was in theater, but my Dad had both copies on VHS, one with dubbing and one without. I don't know how he got it but it isn't dubbed, there is no mistaking little Mel's voice. He gave his entire collection to me about 15 years ago and which one do you think I kept? I should have held on to the dubbed version just for the hell of it I guess. It was just a taped version though and the un-dubbed version is an actual movie from the old video store he worked at during the 80's. So I don't feel to bad about taping over that one.

No Such Thing (Hal Hartley, 2001)
- An awkward fantasy, although in some ways it reminds me of Hellboy, but overall, it just doesn't seem to blend the seriousness of certain scenes with the seemingly-offhand humor involving "The Monster". Actually, it probably is an interesting movie, but Hartley seems to misjudge his tone here, unlike most all of his other flicks.
I'm bummed you didn't like this bad boy more mark. This flick really agrees with me. I am, I realize, about a half a bubble out of plumb so perhaps that's why I dig it more than say, the majority of folks who probably didn't spend their formulative teen years doing hardcore drugs. But hey. I'm still here and now you all have to put up with my crap. Aren't you the lucky ones?

Anywho...

Hatchet (Adam Green - 2006)

I'm not sure why I bother to rate flicks like these. I get a rather large percentage of enjoyment out of them just because they are horror movies, good or bad. I will say that I did really enjoy the first 30 minutes or so it was pretty well written and delivered pretty well by a couple of kids that I haven't seen before. Now on to more important things. First off. The boob factor is pretty strong in this flick. Remember Mercedes McNab AKA Harmony from Buffy? Yeah, well you get a nice long look at her assets and they are very nice assets I must say. Also there are some pretty over the top blood splatters and gruesome deaths that I rather enjoyed. Bottom line is if you've seen Friday the 13th or any of the Halloween movies then you don't really need to see this one, but if you're a horror fan you could do worse.

Hellboy (Guillermo Del Toro - 2004)

I guess this isn't an "excellent" movie. But I sure do enjoy it nonetheless. I popped this in right before we went to Hellboy 2 last night and it really set up the second one nicely. I've never read any of the comics though so I get why a lot of the fans bash it. As far as I'm concerned they still haven't made a decent Hulk movie or TV show for that matter. So I completely emphasize with anyone who can't really get into these flicks.

Hellboy 2: The Golden Army (Guillermo Del Toro - 2008)

I have been waiting almost 2 years for this baby and I was not disappointed. It was funnier than the first one. It had better creatures than the first one and Hellboy got out a really big gun! Really good stuff. GDT is going to now head off to Hobbiton and take control of one of the biggest franchises in history and I say, we are in good hands folks.

Hellboy II gets a:

The movie just went pfffft.
Fighting, fighting, it seemed boring.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Definitely, Maybe (Adam Brooks, 2008)

This is certainly one of the best romantic comedies of the 2000s. If you have watched it, did you notice how it's a sly parody of The Princess Bride? The story is told by the father in this instance, and he's telling it to his daughter, and of course, there are no giants, quicksand, six-fingered men, but you see, this listener cares about the romance and doesn't need all the BS action-adventure bits. My wife loves The Princess Bride as a novel, and it was one of the first movies we watched at the theatre, but she already loves this film after one viewing and a few Kleenexes.

I have to admit that I'm apparently extremely ignorant because I don't even know who most of the actors are in this wonderful flick. All I know is that the lead actor, who I find to be very good, should be cast as Jason Lee's younger brother, or maybe be cast as the son of Chevy Chase, if Chevy is allowed to have sons this young anymore. This Ryan guy is actually a very accomplished actor. The cute part of the story is that he is about to be divorced by his wife, but due to her school's curriculum, his daughter (the adorable Abigail Breslin) wants to understand why "penises thrusting" have something to do with her parents' divorcing! Meanwhile, her father tells her a story about the three women in his life (each one who could be her mother), in New York City, while he was being a Bill Clinton worker/supporter in 1992 and later on, too. Some of the most romantic scenes are the ones where people actually confess that they love some one. However, the wife has filed for a divorce, so the daughter has very little time to solve her "romantic mystery".

This is a film which will reward all the tie-ins, here and now, but I enjoy watching the way things play out, especially with little payoff.

House of Wax (Jaume Collet-Serra - 2005)

Again, my ratings are not necessarily for public consumption. But nonetheless seeing anyone take a pipe right through the head, Paris Hilton or otherwise is a pretty impressive piece of gore.

The Wraith (Mike Marvin - 1986)

The car was cool then and its still cool now. I still can't really stand Charlie Sheen but for whatever reason I still get quite a bit of enjoyment from this flick. My god, this movie really quantifies the 80's in a lot of ways doesn't it? Bad hair, the dawn of product placement. I especially enjoy the beginning of the film when the big bad road gang pulls over a couple that are traveling down the road to inform them that they must race the leader of the gang for the pink slip to his car. And then the big bad tough guy hops in his corvette and before the race starts puts a helmet on! Love that. Lots of wonderfully cheesy butt rock in this flick as well.

Gangs of the Dead (Duane Stinnett - 2006)

Wow, truly, this is pretty terrible and again I hesitate to even rate it. I mean, what's the point? It's a low budget Zombie flick and it is pretty bad, but some of the special effects they put in were pretty enjoyable. So if you're like me and you collect zombie flicks then by all means go to your local pawn shop and pick this up, that's where I found it and I'm sure you can too. Just don't pay more than 2 bucks for it. In fact dicker them down to one and its a pretty fair deal.

House of 1000 Corpses (Rob Zombie - 2003)

This is one of those flicks to me that is totally underrated and written off as cheesy or too over the top. To me that is a travesty. I see people constantly complaining about how unoriginal Hollywood movies can be and the horror genre needs fresh ideas. Well, here's one folks, and its only 5 years old. Seriously. Watch a bunch of movies like Saw, Hostel, Hatchet, House of Wax, Cabin Fever and movies of that ilk. And then put this on and try to get into what Rob Zombie did with this film. Maybe I'm just a contrary kind of guy but I think this flick is superior to The Devil's Rejects which from many received a better rating than House of 1000 Corpses.

I am half agony, half hope.
The Lavender Hill Mob (1951)

This was an entertaining comedy. Alec Guinness plays mild-mannered Henry Holland, who has planned for many years to get wealthy. He fine tunes his plan, and enlists the help of three other men to aid him. The resulting story is a good-natured romp with some novice criminal masterminds.