The Best Movie Ever

Tools    

Shawshank
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

wow there are far too many good movies made in the 90's to narrow them down to 32 we are missing a lot

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
So mention one that isn't in the list so we can break it down to the number one movie of the '90s
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Fighting out of the Lions Den
I agree with Steve, there`s too much trash in this list to be considered `all-time` greatest of the decade...Who the hell voted for `Independence Day`? -April Fools day was 4 days ago guys.It is without a doubt one of the worse movies of all-time...take it out now...or I`m not playing. Also `Instinct`?-`Dogma`?-`Happiness`?...We clearly need afew days to think about this more clearly.By the way...`Shawshank Redemption by a Mile!

Yea the list In my opinion is quite ugly to say the least, oh well. I put only one EYES WIDE SHUT on the list and I'm am happy with that.

Hey this list is getting broken down so Independence Day might not make it through the "pre-lim's".

These are peoples opinions. If someone else wants to take control of this, go on ahead.

You`re doing a fine job Spud, don`t get so disheartened.
If anyboby else has no suggestions, I`d like to nominate "Ghost in the Shell" for spot 32...Now to replace `Independence Day`...How about "Saving Private Ryan"?.

I just went to check my DVD collection and I can`t believe I forgot two of my all-time fav`s- "Grosse Point Blank" & "The Big Lebowski"...Jeff Bridges at an all time high.Anyway, boats still in your harbour Spud.

Ok, here we go...
  1. The Matrix
  2. Schindler's List
  3. Toy Story
  4. Life is Beautiful
  5. The Shawshank Redemption
  6. American Beauty
  7. The Silence of the Lambs
  8. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
  9. Jurassic Park
  10. Pulp Fiction
  11. GoodFellas
  12. Instinct
  13. Braveheart
  14. Men in Black
  15. Seven
  16. Saving Private Ryan
  17. A Few Good Men
  18. Mission: Impossible
  19. Fight Club
  20. The Usual Suspects
  21. Dogma
  22. Good Will Hunting
  23. American History X
  24. The People Vs. Larry Flynt
  25. Happiness
  26. The Green Mile
  27. The Insider
  28. Breaking the Waves
  29. Election
  30. Leon The Professional
  31. Eyes Wide Shut
  32. Ghost in the Shell
Ok, make your final adjustments now so we can get this under way.

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
I'm just adding this as a note of interest - here's a list of the Great Movies that I found on Ebert's site.
Thought you just might like it to compare:

http://www.suntimes.com/ebert/greatmovies/

Let the games commence...except I`ve gotta go now, but I`ll be back to see what`s materalised tomorrow... and to have my vote.

Alright, I'm going to try and put two against each other in the first round that have similarities (ie. Storyline). I don't know much about a few of these movies, but for the majority, I know most of them. So, here we go...
  • Terminator 2: Judgement Day
    vs.
  • The Matrix

I thought about doing this all in one post and then you guys determine who the victor is with each, but we'll just do it one at a time to avoid confusion.

I commend you on your persistence `Spudracer`, but I think we can all see that this is going nowhere fast...or we might be finished by 2010, by which time we`ll have to start all over again and deliberate over `Gladiator 3`, `Matrix 5`,etc,etc...
So I suggest we pick our all-time *1, or perhaps a top three, and throw them out for whoever wants to play to pic & niggle with their own suggestions...So here goes mine...
1-Leon:Integral version-(outstanding performances-I didn`t know anything about it when I saw it but sometimes the films you know nothing of, turn out to be the best.
2-The Shawshank Redemption-137 utterly compelling minutes that just flew by-Tim Robbins at his best.Similar to Leon-never heard of, but never forgotten.
3-Terminator 2-10 years on and still stands up to anything put out today.Gobsmacking set piece after gobsmacking set piece, that is represented superbly on DVD with awesome DTS sound.

Well...That`s my five cents worth

That's a close one. I'll say The Matrix.

Originally posted by The Collossus
I commend you on your persistence `Spudracer`, but I think we can all see that this is going nowhere fast...or we might be finished by 2010
Yeah, I'm getting that feeling too.

I'm gonna have to agree with you on your three favorites as well. Top notch performances from each cast member in each of the three.

Jeeze, I don't think either of the films in this first bracket is anywhere close to the "best" of anything, especially the decade. I suppose if I have to, I'll vote for The Terminator 2: Judgement Day. But apart from the impressive effects and well-staged action sequences, these are two equally hollow scripts.

Yippee-frippin'-dah.

Again, my top three for the decade are GoodFellas, Unforgiven and Miller's Crossing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Matrix

Top three: Fight Club, Jurrasic Park, Pulp Fiction

I'll vote for The Matrix in the battle of the visual effects pioneers.

Well, it seems as there there is little to no interest in this so we'll just leave it at that...

Just list your top three favorites of all time...

Movies I enjoy are good old fashioned strictly entertainment types. None of this message crap and depressing content.

Best of the 90's:

Matrix
L.A. Confidential
Usual Suspects
Galaxy Quest
Resevoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Scream
Independence Day
Fargo
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

im sure there are others, just cant think of anymore right now.