Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by adidasss
i just saw it and i agree it's the best batman ever precisely because of the realistic nature of the characters, i agree with lordslaytan...but i have an objection,this might be a spoiler!!!! that last scene with gary oldman was completely unnecessary and the final words of batman were ridiculous....
Oh, I disagree. I think it put a nice finish on the end. It was corny, but then... it's Batman!

nebbs, fun stuff, eh?

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Oh, I disagree. I think it put a nice finish on the end. It was corny, but then... it's Batman!

nebbs, fun stuff, eh?
Your review is miles better than mine, but I'm still a young Jedi with much to learn O great one. Glad to see we agree on most things regarding BB, what did you think of his remake of Insomnia?

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Your review is miles better than mine, but I'm still a young Jedi with much to learn O great one. Glad to see we agree on most things regarding BB, what did you think of his remake of Insomnia?
Thanks for reading, Darth.
It's good... I have to say though, I've seen it twice and still had to look at IMDb to make sure I knew the one you were talking about. It just didn't make a strong impression, except for the scene in the fog, at the start. I liked Memento a lot, haven't seen his other two. Have you seen others of his?
Also, I've been wondering, what is a Stujitzu?

Thanks for reading, Darth.
It's good... I have to say though, I've seen it twice and still had to look at IMDb to make sure I knew the one you were talking about. It just didn't make a strong impression, except for the scene in the fog, at the start. I liked Memento a lot, haven't seen his other two. Have you seen others of his?
Also, I've been wondering, what is a Stujitzu?
I found it hard to believe Robin Williams' character, I think they chickened out of making him truly evil. I just felt that he was holding back a little, but that was probably the producer's fault. It felt like they were scared that people might freak out if Robin Williams went the full Kevin Spacey in Seven mode.

Stujitzu is just my nick name, amongst others. My first name's Stuart, guess the jitzu is my friends taking the piss out of my Tai Chi! Could have been a whole lot worse, especially if some of my ex-girlfriends' names had stuck!!!

I found it hard to believe Robin Williams' character, I think they chickened out of making him truly evil. I just felt that he was holding back a little, but that was probably the producer's fault. It felt like they were scared that people might freak out if Robin Williams went the full Kevin Spacey in Seven mode.

Stujitzu is just my nick name, amongst others. My first name's Stuart, guess the jitzu is my friends taking the piss out of my Tai Chi! Could have been a whole lot worse, especially if some of my ex-girlfriends' names had stuck!!!
Yeah, few things undermine a conflict like a bad guy who's being all moderate. I once saw a production of The Sound of Music where the guy playing Von Trapp tried to make him into a nice guy. It was a big blob of boredom. If that was the thinking, it's really a pity. Williams was a rat bastard in Death to Smoochy. He didn't give Pacino enough of a foil in Insomnia, though.

Nice to meet you, Stuart. I've been wondering why Insomnia wouldn't stay in my head for a long time, and I think we've sussed it out.

Yep, lets have a really nasty Robin Williams in the next Batman film. Sorry didn't mean that , too many beers at the U2 concert last night!!! Make the bad man go away!
On second thoughts, you brought up the Sound Of Music, what are you on?

I have no shame. Makes life easier.
You, on the other hand.. no fair bragging you got to see U2!
I got to see U2 for the 2nd time, now that's bragging!!! Hey the weather's crap over here, we have to amuse ourselves somehow.

I got to see U2 for the 2nd time, now that's bragging!!! Hey the weather's crap over here, we have to amuse ourselves somehow.

Ok then. I win on any weather-related contest. LA weather is relentlessly gorgeous.

Ok then. I win on any weather-related contest. LA weather is relentlessly gorgeous.
Yes it is, but I'm an east coast kinda boy. New York is my spiritual home, and if it wasn't for that pesky elusive Greencard, that's where I'd be. This is the first summer in 4 years that I've not been there. Just didn't get the same vibe from L.A., but I'll be back to check it out again someday.

You ready? You look ready.
Been a while since I've popped in here. Great job. I wish I could pump out this many. I just can't seem to think my work as being good enough so I try harder which takes longer. Once again, great job.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
Been a while since I've popped in here. Great job. I wish I could pump out this many. I just can't seem to think my work as being good enough so I try harder which takes longer. Once again, great job.
Aww, thanks John. You know I like your reviews!
Write more when you're in the mood.

Put me in your pocket...
Sorry I haven't read your reviews in awhile. Life's been crazy, so it was a nice treat to come back and read some more.

I loved reading your reviews of Sliding Doors and Batman. I haven't seen Batman yet, but I remember when I first saw Sliding Doors. I hadn't heard too much about it and had debated about watching it even after I had rented it...and was glad I did. I really liked it. I think it was this movie that turned me on to Gwyen.

By the way...my daughter and I recently watched Phantom of the Opera and I had to go back and read your review. I enjoyed reading it again.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
you've written a poopload of reviews and I must say, all of those I've read are great. They are very clear and get to the point without being too technical so that I can relate to your reasoning for why you liked/disliked a movie. You ought to review Dogville. It is one of my favorites of the new century and it would be cool to see you explain why you didn't like it in such a well laid out format such as this.

Ideals are hard work. Fitzcarraldo explores the question of "just how far would you go to realise your dream?" with a passion rarely matched. It's not a quickly paced film.
fc
But it is an absorbing, amazing, inspiring, touching film.

In the fourth collaboration between director/writer Werner Herzog and actor Klaus Kinski, we see a team who have come full-circle. Fitzcarraldo bears many resemblances to Aguirre, Wrath of God, but is a more mature approach to the same notions. Themes and performances are more developed and more satisfying (and Aguirre... was pretty great on it's own!). In similar ways, the story of the making of this film is intertwined with the story in the film. Art doesn't just imitate life, here. It is life. In other words: I can't recommend strongly enough that if you watch the film, you then rewatch it with the commentary playing.

Fitzcarraldo is the story of an Irish dreamer who wants to bring opera to the banks of the Amazon. He is the embodiment of idealistic arrogance, but at the same time he is childlike and charming. The relationship between Fitzcaraldo and his lady friend/benefactress is one of the most positive I've seen in ages.

Technical values are solid, but take a back seat to the spectacle of what is physically accomplished in this film - to say more might spoil, so I'll leave it it that. The acting is pitch-perfect. I think I'm developing a crush on Kinski, but even so: he's perfect in this role, bringing just the intensity, the insanity, the passion and the focus that is needed to show us the soul of a dreamer.

4.5/5

I love this film; hence the avatar.

Check out Burden of Dreams if you have a chance, C. It's a documentary of the making of Fitzcarraldo. It's packed with the logistical problems Herzog had pulling that behemoth over the mountain, plus there is a ton of Herzog interview footage. Definitely a must see if you like this film.

How many of the Herzog/Kinski films have you seen?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
I love this film; hence the avatar.

Check out Burden of Dreams if you have a chance, C. It's a documentary of the making of Fitzcarraldo. It's packed with the logistical problems Herzog had pulling that behemoth over the mountain, plus there is a ton of Herzog interview footage. Definitely a must see if you like this film.

How many of the Herzog/Kinski films have you seen?
Oh cool! I just finished listening to his commentary about the logistics on the DVD, and it's so fascinating. It would be hard to say who was the bigger kook, Kinski or Herzog... and so kind of them the way they always credited the other with winning the title. I will look for that. Thanks for the tip, B!

I just noticed that I didn't spoiler tag my post...oh well. It shows the ship being pulled on the DVD cover, plus it tells you on the DVD that that's the main aspect of the film.

Personally...I've never really 'liked' any of Kinski's characters...until this one. Fitzcarraldo may be crazy...but it's the kind of crazy that geniuses with singular vision all share; not a criminal kind of crazy. I also liked the supporting players used in this film too. They’re more talented as a whole compared to the other Herzog/Kinski collaborations that I’ve seen.

Anywho…great review like usual.