The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Big fan of Dead Again. I haven't seen Henry V, but it's my favorite Branagh-directed movie. It didn't make my ballot because I wasn't sure if it's noir. La Haine is one of my favorite movies, landing at #10 on my ballot.

I watched La Haine several years back and thought it was really good. It must've either not been on any of the existing Neo-Noir lists I looked at or I just overlooked it somehow because I don't think it was ever in consideration for my ballot.
It was one of the nominated films for the Neo-noir Hall of Fame that ended up recently. Personally, I don't see a lot of noir in it, but I can see why others think of it that way. I also posted several articles that mentioned some of the noir traits on that thread. I will link them here as soon as I can.

Have seen so far: 1 - The Talented of Mr. Ripley - I thought this movie was alright, not the best Matt Damon movie out there, imo.
Have not seen so far: 11

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I forgot the opening line.
90. Dead Again - I'm sure I've seen Dead Again before, but it's so long ago that I really can't recall anything at all about it. It was obviously before I became a big fan of Derek Jacobi, or knew much about Kenneth Branagh. It has well and truly slipped into "not seen" territory again - like some films do after 30 years or so.

89. La Haine - I've seen La Haine multiple times, and recently wrote this review of it. A very powerful film about a very combustible aspect of French society - the lower classes, often way below the poverty level, almost at war with the police and each other. It's the youth who pay the most, and are influenced by the prison-like concrete atmosphere of the slums they grow up in. La Haine has a real living pulse to it, with great music that accentuates the on-edge atmosphere and protest environment. Every act of hatred breeds more resentment, and it's often an accident that sets off the explosion of violence that is just waiting to break out. A very well made movie that spoke not only to the French, but it's worldwide audience which gives it "classic" status.

No votes

Seen : 8/12
Heard of : 11/12

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... DEAD AGAIN

RT – 81%, IMDb – 6.8

Roger Ebert said:

"Dead Again is Kenneth Branagh once again demonstrating that he has a natural flair for bold theatrical gesture. If Henry V, the first film he directed and starred in, caused people to compare him to Olivier, Dead Again will inspire comparisons to Welles and Hitchcock - and the Olivier of Hitchcock's Rebecca." (read full review here)
James Berardinelli from ReelViews said:

"After wowing critics with Henry V, Kenneth Branagh went on to make his homage to Hitchcock and film noir, Dead Again. And, although it's not a perfect movie, it's damn close, and there hasn't been a thriller of this sort to come out since then that I have liked more." (read full review here)
Adam Nayman from AV Club said:

"Throwing caution to the winds, Branagh is basically attempting to mount two different types of thriller at the same time: a gleaming '40s potboiler and the sun-blind '90s neo-noir." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... LA HAINE

RT – 96%, IMDb – 8.1

Roger Ebert said:

"La Haine is, I suppose, a Generation X film, whatever that means, but more mature and insightful than the American Gen X movies." (read full review here)
Ginette Vincendeau from Criterion said:

"[La Haine] is a brilliant film, with stylish widescreen noir photography and virtuoso camera work. It captured a young generation on the brink, caught between French culture and that of their parents, and in love with American rap music and cinema." read full review here)
Muriel Zagha from Engelsberg Ideas said:

"The film, which references Scarface and Taxi Driver, positions itself as a neo-film noir, with a tightly-wound tragic mechanism at its core." (read full review here)

AWARDS?

Dead Again received the following awards and nominations:
  • One (1) National Board of Review Award for Top Ten Films
  • One (1) BAFTA Film Award for Best Supporting Actor (Derek Jacobi)
  • One (1) Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score (Patrick Doyle)
  • One (1) Golden Berlin Bear from their International Film Festival (Kenneth Branagh)
  • One (1) Young Artist Award nomination for Best Young Actor Co-starring (Gregor Hesse)

AWARDS?

La Haine received the following awards:
  • Film Critics Circle of Australia Award for Best Foreign Film
  • Cannes Film Festival Award for Best Drector (Mathieu Kassovitz)
  • César Award for Best Film, Best Producer, and Best Editing
  • Lumiere Award for Best Film and Best Director (Mathieu Kassovitz)
  • European Film Award for Young European Film Award

Well that was jarring. I went from having seen all 5 of the #100-96, only to not have seen any of the rest.

We haven't come across any of my choices yet, but the five in the list that I've seen were all strong contenders. The Friends of Eddie Coyle would've been my #26.

My one pointer is a more mainstream choice, so we might see it. I'll mention it if it never appears.

La Haine was #69 on the MoFo Top 100 of the 1990s and #54 on the MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm pretty sure I saw Dead Again back in the 90s, but I don't remember it at all.

As for La Haine, it came up in the Neo-noir HoF and, although I didn't see much noir in it, I know that it does play with some of the traits present in other opular neo-noir films. Here is my review, in case someone's interested.

I will vote for Dead Again again and again.

After his directorial debut Henry V, Ken Branagh’s follow up went another way with this clever detective mystery about a woman with amnesia perfectly fused with a tale of reincarnation, all tied together with wit and thrills. Scripted by Scott Frank, the man who would go on the crack the Elmore Leonard adaptation code with Get Shorty and Out of Sight, it blends the present day with flashbacks to the 1940s. In both timelines the main characters are played by Branagh and his then real-life with Emma Thompson. One of the figures from the past was brutally murdered and it seems like history may repeat itself. Terrific supporting cast including Derek Jacoby, Andy Garcia, Wayne Knight ("Newman!"), Campbell Scott, and a wonderful supporting turn by Robin Williams. Stylish Noir fun.

I had Dead Again at number seventeen, nine of its forty points.

HOLDEN'S BALLOT
15. Shallow Grave (#95)
17. Dead Again (#90)
25. Johnny Handsome (DNP)

The trick is not minding
Seen La Haine, and almost watched Dead Again. Didn’t get to it, and clearly that was a mistake.
7/12 seen.
With 3 saved to watch soon (The American Friend, Infernal Affairs and Purple Noon)

Haven't watched La Haine or Dead Again. 5 for 12 so far.

I haven't seen Dead Again, but I like the sound of the premise so I might check it out some time. I saw La Haine when it was nominated in the Foreign Language HoF, before it was disqualified. I don't remember much of the details now, however it sounds like I gave it a generally good review.

La Haine (1995)
Directed By: Mathieu Kassovitz
Starring: Saďd Taghmaoui, Vincent Cassel, Hubert Koundé

La Haine is a gritty film about a generation of people who were trapped in lives of poverty and abuse. The black and white cinematography lends itself well to the dreary outlook of the film, and it feels almost like a documentary at times. It features real footage of actual riots that took place in France during the late 80s and early 90s, and similar riots were still occurring while the film was being made. It's not all grim however, as there is some humour layered in among the violence, frustration, and discrimination.

The film follows its three main characters over the course of an entire day – almost 24 hours. The trio grapple with boredom as they don't really have much to do inside their cold environment, littered with trash and used needles. Whether they're causing mischief or just standing around, they frequently draw the attention of the police, whose presence often reignites a conflict that is always on the verge of escalating into another riot. The atmosphere in these scenes is incredibly tense, and rife with uncertainty over how the confrontations will ultimately play out.

Sound is used very effectively throughout the film, with a great mix of both diegetic and non-diegetic music. I also liked many of the stories told to or by the main characters in the film. Not all of them had a real purpose, while others were clearly meant to be significant. I also appreciated that the film doesn't provide a real resolution, because the issues its addresses are still real problems is many parts of the world, and the final scene's impact might've been softened otherwise. It's a powerful film that is sadly still as relevant today as it was when it was made.
I didn't consider it for my ballot.

Seen: 6/12

My List:
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. watched dead again for the first time last year and found it fairly boring. have seen la haine a couple of times and liked it well enough that i would watch it again just to see if it can really become a major favourite instead of just great.

92. Fireworks (39 points)
91. Infernal Affairs (40 points)

These were both on my list. At #8 and #10 respectively. Fireworks is an amazing film. My favourite Kitano.

Infernal Affairs is so engaging and tense. So much better than the weak Scorsese remake which doesn't delve into the characters enough.