No-Spend February - Finance thread

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Seems like that would be two separate jobs. No wonder it was toxic.
Yeah, I was double coded. So if I was working housekeeping I'd clock in with that code, and if I was working tech services I'd clock in with that code. I started in tech, but switched to housekeeping thinking I'd make a career of hotels. Then I realized it's easily one of the worst professions and attracts all of the wrong people. But that last year when I was pulling double duty between two departments I was earning overtime anytime I clocked into tech, as housekeeping was my main role.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I wouldn't doubt that I once seen an undercover news report about just how dirty upscale hotel rooms could be....The rooms looked spotless but when the investigator used an ultraviolet light they found lots of bodily fluids, everywhere including the ceiling! and the phone and the remote control...yikes.
The hotel I worked at is the oldest in our city, and the nicest. It's considered a four star hotel now, but it was a three star when I worked there. It does not deserve that extra star.

The she-crab soup is banging, tho.

Yeah, I was double coded. So if I was working housekeeping I'd clock in with that code, and if I was working tech services I'd clock in with that code. I started in tech, but switched to housekeeping thinking I'd make a career of hotels. Then I realized it's easily one of the worst professions and attracts all of the wrong people. But that last year when I was pulling double duty between two departments I was earning overtime anytime I clocked into tech, as housekeeping was my main role.
I went to hotel training college in London. Burned out eventually & abandoned that career when I came to America.

I went to hotel training college in London. Burned out eventually & abandoned that career when I came to America.
Yeah, because hotels have zero qualms about scheduling you for 3p-11pm one night and then 7am-3pm the next day. And then get pissy when you make mistakes from burn out.

Like um, when the **** do I get to live?

I'd have some weeks where I worked 60-70 hours. Like at the time, I didn't see how seriously messed up and wrong that shit was.

My internist attributes my perfect health (just had annual physical) to the fact I walk so much every day. He tells me this every year.
That's very cool.

For 20 years I speed walked on a treadmill and did 2 miles everyday. Then my foot got messed up and I quit. That was some years ago . I've been trying to get back to doing it and just got another treadmill and my very first mp3 player.

Yeah, because hotels have zero qualms about scheduling you for 3p-11pm one night and then 7am-3pm the next day. And then get pissy when you make mistakes from burn out.

I'd have some weeks where I worked 60-70 hours. Like at the time, I didn't see how seriously messed up and wrong that shit was.
Oh, that's some long hours. I hope you're new job isn't that strenuous. Your an IT tech? I think I read where you mentioned that.

Oh, that's some long hours. I hope your new job isn't that strenuous. You’re an IT tech? I think I read where you mentioned that.
Yes, my job is more office based now. No more event setup/tear down (i.e. throwing around 80lb equipment and clamping around in a scissor lift). I don't work a single minute over now, and no nights or weekends either. Other than the pay keeping me one check away from the streets it is a sweet gig.

Yes, my job is more office based now. No more event setup/tear down (i.e. throwing around 80lb equipment and clamping around in a scissor lift). I don't work a single minute over 37.5 hours now, and no nights or weekends either. Other than the pay keeping me one check away from the streets it is a sweet gig.
Sweet, less hours = less stress. I'm curious, your in an office, are you an administrator for the local computer network in the office building? Or trouble shooting by phone? Or something else?

Sweet, less hours = less stress. I'm curious, your in an office, are you an administrator for the local computer network in the office building? Or trouble shooting by phone? Or something else?
I'm a help desk grunt, but if you ask anyone on campus they'd tell you I'm a wizard or something. But it's just because my customer service game is strong, and I am relatable. Things IT folks are not known to be.

One thing AI will never be able to do is translate technical jargon to the normies. Like I have ZERO worries about AI coming for my job, whereas sysadmins should be sweating right now.

And it doesn't hurt that Gen Z and Gen Alpha are tech illiterate. Hello job security.

EDIT: We can also thank the youngins for demolishing any sense of privacy we once had online. They have no qualms about a.) doxing you b.) doxing your Doxin or c.) doxing the dioxins.

EDIT 2: THIS should concern us all

Right. IIRC, one hotel we had to work a double shift (once a month, don’t remember?) & that was brutal. Some of the customers were horrid too. One nationality (not gonna say who) were always pushy & obnoxious at check in. Ugh.

Our American customers (a lot of guys on Virginia naval bases) were super sweet & always brought me small gifts when they came back to London.

Never missed this kind of work.

Yes, my job is more office based now. No more event setup/tear down (i.e. throwing around 80lb equipment and clamping around in a scissor lift). I don't work a single minute over 37.5 hours now, and no nights or weekends either. Other than the pay keeping me one check away from the streets it is a sweet gig.
I never did overtime. I always said upfront I wouldn’t do it. Never caused a problem & if possible I would come in very early in the a.m. if overtime was totally necessary. By 5.30 I was out of there every day.

A system of cells interlinked
Just about to the three week mark, and have stayed on target so far. No eating out, no retail therapy for my wife etc. I will check in next week with a final report, and hopefully, we can carry these new, tighter spending habits over into the future.

I'm a help desk grunt, but if you ask anyone on campus they'd tell you I'm a wizard or something. But it's just because my customer service game is strong, and I am relatable. Things IT folks are not known to be.
Yup you are relatable and easy to talk too. I try to engage alot of MoFos in conversation but alot times I get no reply or just a few words in response...But you're good at communications, so yeah you would seem like a natural for help desk position and anytime someone can help and be personable at the same time without going full techy talk, that's a rare thing.

And it doesn't hurt that Gen Z and Gen Alpha are tech illiterate. Hello job security.

EDIT: We can also thank the youngins for demolishing any sense of privacy we once had online. They have no qualms about a.) doxing you b.) doxing your Doxin or c.) doxing the dioxins.

EDIT 2: THIS should concern us all
Interesting article!

Yup you are relatable and easy to talk too. I try to engage alot of MoFos in conversation but alot times I get no reply or just a few words in response...But you're good at communications, so yeah you would seem like a natural for help desk position and anytime someone can help and be personable at the same time without going full techy talk
I once worked with an IT guy who was so unfriendly & lazy. Didn’t matter to him if you were facing deadlines & you needed tech help, he didn’t care. He eventually disappeared so I presume he was fired. His replacement was super helpful.

I once worked with an IT guy who was so unfriendly & lazy. Didn’t matter to him if you were facing deadlines & you needed tech help, he didn’t care. He eventually disappeared so I presume he was fired. His replacement was super helpful.
Ugh, that guy needed to be replace. Did you work in IT yourself?

Yes, prickly know it all is the standard IT personality it seems. And sadly, most of them don't know shit.
And quite a few it seems to me are quite condescending when it comes to actually helping someone.

And quite a few it seems to me are quite condescending when it comes to actually helping someone.
aside from doctors, lawyers, and engineers i don’t know a single profession that treats everyone like idiots more than IT

I will take part in March challenge. The hardest would be to stop buying take away coffees
Don’t take it away then. Drink it in the store!