The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
raul's list of what's left is pretty good but I think a few don't make the cut. Whether they are replaced by blockbusters that have wide breadth of viewers, or highly regarded arthouse or international films that end up very high on say 10% of the lists...that remains to be seen. I don't think that 26 makes it. I think 22 or 23 of them do.
Kind of hope you are right. There are like 3 I'd like to see off and would like to see a few surprises. Perhaps a surprise will be in store tomorrow.

25. Grand Budapest Hotel?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I forgot the opening line.
The story of this countdown for me - films I really like, but for one reason or another left off my ballot. I voted with my heart and I regret nothing.

28. The Avengers - I've only started going through the Marvel Cinematic Universe films very recently, so seeing The Avengers came after my voting was all done. In any event, the two I would have voted for would have been Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers Endgame. When I saw The Avengers, I started to get what all the fuss was about, and I kind of wish I'd been more into it back in the day when these were appearing in cinemas - but I really wasn't. I was fed up with the whole superhero merry-go-round, and seeing it then probably wouldn't have been as good as seeing it now, if that makes sense. It seemed as we went along the origin stories were getting more threadbare because everyone involved couldn't wait to get all of these characters together - and it's as massive as you could expect, with Loki from the Thor franchise opening a portal to an alien world, letting an overwhelming army of technologically superior warriors and machines invade. There's a lot of fun in the fact that what The Avengers and humanity face seems like a hopeless prospect - so the fight actually has some tension in it to go with the stakes. Great effects too. Loved The Avengers, but I loved the two films I mentioned earlier.

27. Django Unchained - For me and voting, Django Unchained was probably the victim of being too entertaining. I've seen this film upward of 10 times, and although I always enjoy it, when you do that you start to become familiar with all of it's flaws. Glossy modern-day Tarantino isn't the intricate craftsman he used to be - so despite being larger and more bombastic, his films also don't do as well for me under intense scrutiny. That said, of course Django Unchained is a fantastic film, and the only person Tarantino is really competing with in this style of filmmaking is himself - the Tarantino of Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs - so when I get to instances like the "lets step out of this film for a moment" part with the holes in the bags I'm shaking my head with how brilliant it all is, how he can introduce something so hilarious and then drop it so we can continue. Tarantino has a God-given sense of cinema that's out of this world - I just think these days he wants to give us too much, and as such his eyes have been taken off the finer details because of that. I love Django Unchained, but because of that I didn't vote for it.

Seen 67/74

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

My list so far - and the chances my remaining picks will show :

1. Hereditary (2018) - #96
2. 100%
3. 99%
4. Joker (2019) - #60
5. 93%
6. 100%
7. 89%
8. Manchester by the Sea (2016) - #64
9. 32%
10. 72%
11. Under the Skin (2014) - #54
12. Ida (2013) - #71
13. 80%
14. 0%
15. It Follows (2015) - #93
16. Melancholia (2011) - #41
17. 82%
18. 17%
19. 28%
20. 12%
21. 18%
22. 3%
23. 0%
24. 2%
25. 0%

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The Avengers is one of those movies that I'll watch any time I'm flipping channels and I find it's on. It's one of my favorite superhero movies because the interaction between the characters makes it so much fun. It was #15 on my list.

Hubby even collects all the movie scenes Funko Pops from The Avengers, including the "Avengers Assemble" and "Schwarma" 6-piece sets, but my favorite is the "Hulk Smashing Loki" Movie Moment Pop.

I watched Django Unchained for the Westerns Countdown, but pretty much the only thing that I remember about it was that it was too violent for my taste, but it was a better movie than I expected it to be. I didn't rewatch it for this countdown because I knew that it had no chance to make my list.

My list so far:
15. The Avengers (2012)
24. Avengers: Endgame (2019)
25. Nine Lives (2016) - (my one-pointer)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I now have 0% chance of anymore of my movies making the countdown

And it's not like most of the movies on my ballot are obscure stuff that never gets mentioned...A number of my ballot movies are well liked by some members here. Hard to believe they didn't even make the bottom of the countdown...they must have been buried by the overwhelming points from populist movies.

I think I'm with you on the 0% chance of the rest of my list making it, but I might have one movie left that still has a chance. But while some of the movies on my list are obscure, I also have a bunch of movies that are pretty common, but they're just not getting as much love as they deserve.

26. If Another Earth makes it this high it'll be the surprise of all surprises. I've heard it mentioned quite a bit, but I'm desperately trying to think of something else.

25. Someone has picked The Master and First Reformed. I'm dying to guess Broken, but that'd be throwing my guess away, and I did that already. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

My list thus far, with gloomy predictions:

1. 0% - If I had to guess, this film gets exactly 25 points.
2. 2% - I was hoping this one might break into the bottom third of the list, but apparently not.
3. John Wick (2014) #48
4. 15% - I was almost sure this would make it, but I don't expect it to be this high.
5. The Witch (2015) #91
6. 1% - I know this one has some fans here, but apparently not enough.
7. 0% - Never had a chance.
8. 0% - Never had a chance.
9. 0% - Never had a chance.
10. 0% - Never had a chance.
11. 0% - Never had a chance.
12. 0% - Never had a chance.
13. Logan (2017) #46
14. 0% - Never had a chance.
15. The Man from Nowhere (2010) #95
16. 0% - I was hoping for a bottom-third placement, but apparently no.
17. 0% - Never had a chance.
18. Moonrise Kingdom (2012) #37
19. 0% - Never had a chance.
20. 5% - I really thought this would make it, but I can't see it this high.
21. 1% - Another one I thought could make it.
22. 0% - Never had a chance.
23. 0% - Never had a chance.
24. 0% - Never had a chance.
25. Bliss (2019) 1-pointer

So, it seems that only five from my ballot will make the top 100. And here I was, hoping for about twice that number

26. If Another Earth makes it this high it'll be the surprise of all surprises. I've heard it mentioned quite a bit, but I'm desperately trying to think of something else.
That would be a nice surprise if it did, but it won't make it, as like I said I have 0% chance of any of my remaining movies making the countdown....But I hope to be proven wrong

I think I'm with you on the 0% chance of the rest of my list making it, but I might have one movie left that still has a chance. But while some of the movies on my list are obscure, I also have a bunch of movies that are pretty common, but they're just not getting as much love as they deserve.
Well, if they are superhero films then you'll probably have a chance at getting more on the countdown, but rom-coms nah people here don't like those, unless they are horror rom-coms

Well, if they are superhero films then you'll probably have a chance at getting more on the countdown, but rom-coms nah people here don't like those, unless they are horror rom-coms
Yeah, genre deconstruction and all that...

some pretty good movies lately. boyhood was my #10. i haven't seen it since i was 15 and and haven't felt much urge to go back, but i remember thinking it really spoke to how i felt at the time. iirc that's because it's pretty vague and universalized as far as coming-of-age films go, but it's to its credit that that doesn't stop the sense that it was made only for you. as the only true epic in the genre, it can and should be broad and sentimental and beautiful while still having linklater's keen sense for authenticity. its method of production is certainly a factor in my evaluation, but not in a "i can't believe they pulled this off" sorta way (although tbh i can't believe they pulled it off). it's just in the very simple, self-evident fact that there's a unique power to watching a kid grow up in real time. i believe that the movie they built on top of that premise is quite lovely in and of itself, but the two are inextricable.

irishman, django, the lighthouse all very cool. don't like seeing the avengers this high on the list, but it is one of the better ones and undeniably pretty successful at everything it tries to do.

my top 200 revealed so far:
2. spring breakers
3. before midnight
5. uncut gems
6. moonrise kingdom
10. boyhood
13. certified copy
14. the shape of water
16. holy motors
18. toy story 3
22. inside out
24. anomalisa

26. moonlight
28. manchester by the sea
29. the act of killing
48. a separation
53. the revenant
66. silence
75. gone girl
76. john wick
78. avengers: endgame
89. logan
93. the irishman

109. edge of tomorrow
118. ida
122. hereditary
130. django unchained
131. under the skin
139. black swan
142. paddleton
158. the handmaiden
163. shutter island
166. ex machina
173. knives out
175. 1917
criticker

26. Avengers: Infinity War
25. The Disaster Artist

Update for the home stretch:

1. 100% (pleasantly shocked it keeps moving up)
2. 100%
3. 100%
4. 100% (kind of shocked it got this far)
5. 100% (2% shocked it got this far)
6. .00001% (hope more people see it)
7. .00001%
8. 100%
9. 100% (0.5% shocked it got this far
10. Interstellar (#33)
11. .00001% (see no.6)
12. 75% (50% shocked it made it this far)
13. .00001% (Haven't heard this one mentioned around these parts)
14. 100% (5% shocked it got this far)
15. .00001%
16. .00001% (never had a chance)
17. LOGAN (#46)
18. The Raid (#100)
19. .00001% (never had a chance....maybe.)
20. 50% (still might appear with the rest)
21. Silence (#43)
22. 100% (just about right)
23. 25% (shocked it didn't get enough attention for the 100-81 range)
24. .00001% (underseen i suppose)
25. Boyhood (#32)