Genre

Tools    

Where online can i find a movie website similar to wikipedia like where it says 2013 in american films but with the genre of the film next to it? Wikipedia is good but it doesn't say the genre of each film next to it and thats its only drawback... Would imdb be my only option? What might be the best option in this case? A similar format to wikipedia...

What are you wanting the list for?

If you're wanting specific genres, I think IMDb is best.

For example, if you want thrillers from 2013, get going on a search page. I often will set a minimum of at least 100-300 votes, which weeds out a lot of really low-budget/not good stuff.

For example: https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...te=2013%2C2013

If you rate things on IMDb, you can also set the search to exclude titles you've already seen/rated.

What happened was this. A while back i went to wikipedia and i went through every single movie listed under the following title, 2012 in american films but not only for this year but i did 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, and finally 2019. It was a painstaking chore and i wrote down on a piece of paper only the movies that im interested in watching online. For some really weird reason i cannot find those papers and i definitely dont want to go thru wikipedia all over again having to this chore all over again!!! Ihave attached a screenshot of wikipedia 2012 in american film where it doesnt show the genre and 1995 in film where it does show the genre! Can imdb or some other movie website show me like 1995 in american film where on the right or left hand corner it shows the genre??? Like that i can weed out what i wanna watch online vs wasting my time looking up individually each movie to see if its comedy or horror??? What do you recommend i do in this case??
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221223-140428_Chrome.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	90483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221223-140458_Chrome.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	90484  

Here is what I did:

Go to IMDb
Go to "Advanced Title Search"
Check "Feature films"
Set the date range as 2013-2013
Set the minimum number of votes to 300 (you can set it higher if you want more popular films only). Leave the maximum box blank.
Set the Country as "United States"
Set the language as "English"
Set the runtime as a minimum of 65 minutes

For me this yields a list of about 700 films. The genres are listed with each film, along with a short plot summary.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?t...en&runtime=65,

The only problem with wikipedia is that it doesnt show genre! Other than that i see nothing wrong with it!! How accurate is wikipedia for you in your opinion? If i do exactly like youre telling me will i get pretty much the same stuff as wikipedia? I dont need like a ton more but basically whatever wikipedia has their listings, does this make sense? I feel pretty comfortable with the info wiki has to show....

I only use Wikipedia sometimes for finding films, because I like to be able to toggle the list order, filter out certain genres, etc. With Wikipedia the lists seem okay, but you can't rearrange it or filter it.

I find it most useful when I'm looking for a list of movies from a certain movement, like wanting a list of French New Wave movies or something.

I only use Wikipedia sometimes for finding films, because I like to be able to toggle the list order, filter out certain genres, etc. With Wikipedia the lists seem okay, but you can't rearrange it or filter it.

I find it most useful when I'm looking for a list of movies from a certain movement, like wanting a list of French New Wave movies or something.
Totally, I think Wiki and IMDB are both fine.

Why would letterboxd be better than imdb.com??