Delila's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
1) The scenery is gorgeous - as you'd expect of Paris. 2) The acting is flawless. 3) Both of these actors have matured and so have their characters. they recapture the charming chemistry that made their first meeting so wonderful.
great review, Cindy!
i liked that movie a lot too, and twas funny to see it in the States and wonder if i was the only frog in the theater...
plus i appreciated her jokes about how she considers Americans and the difference between these and Frenchies... although she wasn't right in all she said...
plus i could connect with the story so well... and wish real life could be like that flick, since certain people don't get the kinda exceptional second chance that guy gets, although they're not less deserving than he is... but then he's American and she is French, not the opposite!
a few remarks:
1) Paris is not so gorgeous as they/the medias/the clichés about France and blahblah would want you to believe
2) HER acting, i can't help finding/feeling, is better than his
3) she has matured a lot (i saw the first movie with her like 15 years ago??), him, i'm not so sure, it seems to me he's posing all the time and trying to look good whenever he's talking
... meaning, i'd have loved that movie a lot more with another actor, but in part 1 too of course...
and she's a beautiful voice and is an interesting musician in fact, amazingly.

You ready? You look ready.
I seriously love it. I was renting 3-4 movies a weekend at Blockbuster, usually failing to return them on time, and paying around $100 a month for my movie habit. With Netflix, I usually have a new batch of movies every weekend, and it only costs me $20/month. They also let you make a queue of movies, so you don't have to try to remember the titles of things you mean to see.
Great thing now though. NO MORE LATE FEES!!! If you need an extra day or two with your movies and games, you go ahead and take them. They said they're going to lose millions of dollars just by getting ready of the late fee dues.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
Great thing now though. NO MORE LATE FEWS!!! If you need an extra day or two with your movies and games, you go ahead and take them. They said they're going to lose millions of dollars just by getting ready of the late fee dues.
Too bad there isn't much of a selection.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
great review, Cindy!
i liked that movie a lot too, and twas funny to see it in the States and wonder if i was the only frog in the theater...
plus i appreciated her jokes about how she considers Americans and the difference between these and Frenchies... although she wasn't right in all she said...
plus i could connect with the story so well... and wish real life could be like that flick, since certain people don't get the kinda exceptional second chance that guy gets, although they're not less deserving than he is... but then he's American and she is French, not the opposite!
a few remarks:
1) Paris is not so gorgeous as they/the medias/the clichés about France and blahblah would want you to believe
2) HER acting, i can't help finding/feeling, is better than his
3) she has matured a lot (i saw the first movie with her like 15 years ago??), him, i'm not so sure, it seems to me he's posing all the time and trying to look good whenever he's talking
... meaning, i'd have loved that movie a lot more with another actor, but in part 1 too of course...
and she's a beautiful voice and is an interesting musician in fact, amazingly.
Thanks, Frogman!
That would be interesting, seeing it in the states and being from there. I've had a similar experience watching American Splendor, but with the added jolt of recognizing one of the characters as someone I knew. Very odd experience!
I really liked Julie Delphy's voice, too. The song was ok, it worked for the film, but when I watched it the second time I wasn't too impressed with the song itself.

As to your points... (yay, I love points)...
1. No place is as gorgeous as they show you, unless you're getting the scenic view. There's always something just out of frame that you don't want to know about.
2. I agree, she is better.
3. I agree, he's Pinnocchio. But he's not AS self-conscous as he was 10 years ago, when I really hoped he'd trip and fall, just to see him move naturally for a minute.

Delilah - Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy reading your reviews. I stumbled across them a few weeks ago and have slowly been working through them. While we don't always share the same taste in movies, we do share a love of the classics, particularly the comedies. Keep 'em coming!

My Top 100 favorite movies.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Mose
Delilah - Keep 'em coming!
Yes...I agree!

Put me in your pocket...
I love your reviews Sammy....and I love your new avatar (very nice).

I loved Finding Neverland and your review was spot on. I only wish I had taked tissues with me instead of my popcorn napkins. My eyes and nose were beet red by the end.

Before Sunset....I probably shouldn't say it...but I didn't care for this at first. I'm not a huge fan of Ethan Hawke, but I liked Julie Delpy. I dunno...I couldn't get attached to the characters and found myself not caring if they got together or not and...and...hang on to your seat Cindybear....I turned it off halfway through. However...since you wrote such a wonderful review, you have me interested in seeing it again and giving this another chance. Keep up the good writing.

chicago, Mose, Anony, Aniko~ thanks, y'all! Your praise makes me glad I took the time to write.

Aniko~ I walked out of Finding Neverland thinking, "well, maybe I don't LOOK like I've been crying... Sometimes it doesn't really show. " and when I looked in the mirror, I burst out laughing because I was a complete mess.

And you're not the first person I've heard say that about Before Sunset. I had a huge debate about it with someone, in fact. It probably helped that I had seen the first one within the last six months, and I'm a total fangirl of it, even with EH's posing.

Preston Sturges was a genius. And not the nerdy, obnoxious kind. He was the kind you hope you get to hang out with, if Sullivan't Travels is any indication of the wit, intellect and charm of it's writer/director. It's the story of a filmmaker (obviously based on Sturges himself) with a successful career in comedy, who
iii
wants to make a film about human suffering. In a hilarious opening scene, he pitches this idea to studio execs who convince him that having grown up in Hollywood, he knows nothing of human suffering. He then hits the road (with one dime in his pocket) in carefully-costumed hobo-wear, to find out how the other half lives.

As luck would have it, the "other half" runs right into Veronica Lake. Personally, I think there would be a lot more homeless guys if that were the standard fate. Long story short, our hero's fun little adventure turns serious when he's arrested and stripped of his studio-exec perks, and comes to realise that those comedies he made have real value to every day folks. It's both an emotional semi-autobiography and an appreciation of the virtue of sharing humor.

I lost track, while watching this film, of the number of times it made me laugh out loud. The dialogue is some of the snappiest I've ever heard, and well-delivered by all the cast, but especially by lead player Joel McCrea, famous for his work in westerns. Veronica Lake sheds her movie-star posing for an almost Meg Ryan sort of character, and she is utterly winning.

If you rent this, please get the Criterion version and watch the documentary on The Rise and Fall of Preston Sturges. I'd never heard of him before, and he was a ground-breaking icon of Hollywood. Definately someone worth knowing about. Having seen this, I'm looking foward to renting another of Sturges' films.

I love it when you review the classics.

Thank you.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Thanks for the review Sammy, I haven't seen this one, I will keep my eye out for it.

Lucky McKee's directorial debut, May is authentically different. It's a retelling of the Frankenstein myth, but it's done a little more organically in the sense that we see the
left
deterioration of Dr Frankenstein (May, in this case) and the events that chip away at any normalcy she might have had. Adding to the organic feel of it is the marvellous performance of Angela Bettis as May, who puts a very non-judgemental and intense focus on this character, and has the chops to give her depth and vulnerability.

At a quick glance, this is a low-budget, small-cast horror/thriller. The thing about this is that it's very well done, however. It does have a few moments that seem over-the-top horror for the sake of shock value, but for the most part the film stays eerily genuine. There's an exploration weirdness at work that elevates this piece. People who claim they like "weird" and seek to incorporate weirdness into their lives are contrasted with May, who is simply free-range loony.

I'd strongly recommend this as an intelligent horror flick.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...it sounds right up my alley.

Do you like Cronenberg films?

The only one of his I've seen is Spider and I really liked that. I think that's reviewed in this thread, somewhere... I read the book The Dead Zone and liked it a lot. I like psychological thrillers. From the list, I think I should check out a few more of his films.

The only one of his I've seen is Spider and I really liked that. I think that's reviewed in this thread, somewhere... I read the book The Dead Zone and liked it a lot. I like psychological thrillers. From the list, I think I should check out a few more of his films.
Check out my recent post in the "most disturbing film" thread. There are some good ones I mentioned there, plus some links to clips. I love his style, and it sounds to me that you probably are the type to appreciate it as well.

As always, great review D. I hadn't thought to look at the film from that perspective and it certainly sheds new light on the film. Quite frankly I was a little disturbed by some of the images, but I attribute that to me getting old and stodgy