The 29th Hall of Fame

Tools    

I understand the suspicion, but I think we ought to take Ueno's word about watching the movies with no evidence to the contrary. We're talking about an active and quality forum member who just has a taste and personality that's a little different than some of us. There's a lot of value in that.
Yeah, this.

Also, as I said in my above post, given she reviewed Goldfinger over a year ago on Letterboxd, there is physical evidence that she has already seen the film.

I understand the suspicion, but I think we ought to take Ueno's word about watching the movies with no evidence to the contrary. We're talking about an active and quality forum member who just has a taste and personality that's a little different than some of us. There's a lot of value in that.
Agreed.

The trick is not minding
We've had people in the past do just that. We call them nom bombers, they join HoFs knowing that every member is required to watch their movie, but thy're not serious about watching the other members movies. One member in the past was collectively banned from the main HoFs for doing just that.

I like Ueno as a person and have had good conversations with them. I like Ueno noms too and enjoyed them for the most part. But I have to question their motives for joining the main HoF when they constantly dump on just about every movie nominated in the main HoFs. I also wonder why someone who seems to hate the noms and has said they hate movies with stories and hate movies with character development wants to so readily join and be forced to watch them all?

These post by Ueno:
5th Short HoF

Hall of Infamy

So according to Ueno's own words their goal is to nominate 'BS' and be a 'bitch' in the main HoFs, while hating all the noms. That to me is not fair to the rest of the members.

Yet in the Short HoF and the Hall of Infamy they seem to enjoy themselves and give the noms in those Hofs their due considerations.

I think You’re taking their words too seriously, as those posts she wrote were clearly meant to be facetious in light of the complaints her films have received in the past. They were likely meant to be taken as somewhat self deprecating.

The trick is not minding
The thing is...I question the very existence of any merit to Robot. IF you give me something to critique or talk about I will but a three hour cheap sci-fi slapstick comedy.
Robot is pretty popular in its home country, India.

I think You’re taking their words too seriously, as those posts she wrote were clearly meant to be facetious in light of the complaints her films have received in the past. They were likely meant to be taken as somewhat self deprecating.
I read those quoted words as someone wanting to call attention to their behavior.

We had a member here, Mr Minio who made it a continuous point to be a film snob who was condescending to other people's mainstream views. One day, he posted "I'm such a little prick" just to call attention to his behavior, which he was obviously proud of and wanted everyone to know it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
No one had defended Ueno more than I have in past HoFs. I defended their noms and Ueno as a member. I like Ueno but I think they are just playing games here. I think Ueno would be more happier participating in the Hall of Infamy's, I can tell Ueno had a good time there and seemed to be actively positive about that HoF. But when someone readily post they are being a bitch and nominating crap in the main HoFs...I think that is a red flag.
Obviously 100% true.

Yeah, this.

Also, as I said in my above post, given she reviewed Goldfinger over a year ago on Letterboxd, there is physical evidence that she has already seen the film.
I'd be willing to guess she didn't rewatch it because she'd rather do the bashing, like 80% of her reviews for the Hall

So, Mr Minio was the user who was banned from all Halls?

Perhaps ueno can come in here and confirm what her intention was with those posts, but I agree that she was likely just being facetious. Just joking about how her nominations have done really poorly in these Halls. Nothing wrong with that as far as I'm concerned.

I'd be willing to guess she didn't rewatch it because she'd rather do the bashing, like 80% of her reviews for the Hall
Don't just assume that's her intention though. Like cricket said, since there's no evidence to the contrary, we should just take her word at face value. Also, as I said up above, if you look at her reviews for the films in this Hall, you'll see that most of them have been positive so far.

movies can be okay...
Is this what we're turning this thread into...really?
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

Is this what we're turning this thread into...really?
It's fine, we're just discussing...and maybe some positivity will come from this. If you want to read some real HoF drama you got to read the really old ones, now those got spicy!

movies can be okay...
Anyways.

If I remember correctly, @Citizen Rules asked at some point why Synecdoche, New York hasn't been nominated in any of the HoFs yet, and upon re-watching it just last night I'm actually glad it wasn't. While I do heavily recommend it and think of it as one of the most essential films out there for any moviegoer, it's also an impenetrable film on the first watch. I'd much rather have the viewer gather and collect his thoughts and feelings upon multiple viewings than read just what his initial reaction was, especially since the first viewing you're barely able to follow the plot after a certain point and can only detect some of the major themes out there.

Anyways.

If I remember correctly, @Citizen Rules asked at some point why Synecdoche, New York hasn't been nominated in any of the HoFs yet, and upon re-watching it just last night I'm actually glad it wasn't. While I do heavily recommend it and think of it as one of the most essential films out there for any moviegoer, it's also an impenetrable film on the first watch. I'd much rather have the viewer gather and collect his thoughts and feelings upon multiple viewings than read just what his initial reaction was, especially since the first viewing you're barely able to follow the plot after a certain point and can only detect some of the major themes out there.
I haven't seen it of course, but it still sounds interesting to me. So many movies, not enough time to watch them all.

Anyways.

It's been nominated before. Somewhere around HOF 2-4

movies can be okay...
It's been nominated before. Somewhere around HOF 2-4
Welp, there goes that I guess. Apparently it was nominated for the 4th HoF. I wanted to check out the thread just to see how people reacted to it, but I found no section dedicated for all of the linked reviews on the first page, so I guess that concept somehow wasn't introduced yet at the time.

Welp, there goes that I guess. Apparently it was nominated for the 4th HoF. I wanted to check out the thread just to see how people reacted to it, but I found no section dedicated for all of the linked reviews on the first page, so I guess that concept somehow wasn't introduced yet at the time.
That was me who introduced the review links idea, I did that for the first time in the 10th HoF.

Anomalisa

I just went to Cincinnati about 3 weeks ago and yes, you have to visit their zoo as it is splendid and definitely try their Cincinnati chili. It's a bummer we never got see Michael be able to do this.

In all seriousness though, this is a rather unique film. Not because we haven't seen intelligent animated films like this made before but because the story and themes are explored in unique and different ways.

It's a movie that doesn't really like people get too attached to the characters, and usually something like that wouldn't work for me but I didn't have any real issue with it this time. I thought it a bit goofy for the females to have male voices though, think it could have worked if there was one male voice and one female voice, but that little part through me for a bit of a loop.

I don't feel the animation was great but again I found it to be unique. I think the way the story was told animation was clearly the way to go. I liked a lot of the clever humor: the hot/cold shower scene definitely gave me a chuckle.

Kaufman is generally hit or miss with me (actually, usually more of a miss), but I think this was a really well put together and fun film to watch. I'm always glad to see an animated film nominated in a general and it would be cool to see this one do well.

+

Glad you like it, raul. I personally don't mind that Tom Noonan is voicing both men and women. One, he's a good enough actor to pull it off, the guy has a beautiful voice and he's able to add a feminine lilt to it when necessary. I just looked his name up on Audible and he doesn't narrate audiobooks, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by rauldc14
I just went to Cincinnati about 3 weeks ago and yes, you have to visit their zoo as it is splendid and definitely try their Cincinnati chili.
I do want to try this someday. A brand called Skyline sells it in the frozen food section here, and I like it, but I'm sure it's a far cry from the real thing.