Halloween (2018) vs. Halloween (2007)

Tools    

Which slasher is walking out of here?
75.00%
3 votes
25.00%
1 votes
4 votes. You may not vote on this poll

2018, no contest. 2007 is pretty awful, and I say this as a fan of Rob Zombie.

Halloween Kills vs H2, however, I'd go the other way.

H2
HK

The top 2 are the best sequels in the franchise and neither HK nor 2007 are among the worst, despite their reputations.

H2
HK

The top 2 are the best sequels in the franchise and neither HK nor 2007 are among the worst, despite their reputations.
I will accept this ranking.

There are only a handful of Halloween films even worth discussing. The original, for obvious reasons. The first sequel, being a good example of how to do a completely empty and derivative sequel relatively well. Season of the Witch, for being a quality film in its own right. And Zombie's first sequel, which is littered with everything that is annoying about Zombie's movies, but at least brings a new voice and an imagination to a franchise that had long been completely pointless.

The only question that remains is if Zombie's first Halloween is the worst ever. And I think this argument can be made, but it would need us to take the position that all the completely soulless cash grabs that came before it, are worse than Zombies completely misguided and idiotic approach. And I'm not sure which of these arguments I would have the energy to fight for. So instead, can't we just burn them all?

Welcome to the human race...
I thought 2007 was one of the worst movies I ever saw on first viewing, but a recent revisit made me think it wasn't so bad. Meanwhile, I thought 2018 was fine at first but it really didn't hold up on rewatch. I'll probably rewatch both in the lead-up to Halloween Ends and that'll settle it.

There are only a handful of Halloween films even worth discussing. The original, for obvious reasons. The first sequel, being a good example of how to do a completely empty and derivative sequel relatively well. Season of the Witch, for being a quality film in its own right. And Zombie's first sequel, which is littered with everything that is annoying about Zombie's movies, but at least brings a new voice and an imagination to a franchise that had long been completely pointless.

The only question that remains is if Zombie's first Halloween is the worst ever. And I think this argument can be made, but it would need us to take the position that all the completely soulless cash grabs that came before it, are worse than Zombies completely misguided and idiotic approach. And I'm not sure which of these arguments I would have the energy to fight for. So instead, can't we just burn them all?
Zombie's 2007 film is definitely better than The Curse of Michael Myers, although that one has an ounce of ambition.

The most soulless is probably Resurrection, but that has Busta Rhymes kung fu fighting Michael Myers and spouting dialogue that sounds like he wrote his own lines, so I can't hate it.

Halloween ranked:

Halloween (original)
H2
Halloween 2018
Kills
Season of the Witch
H20
Remake
Curse of Michael Myers
Resurrection

Well, as far as I'm concerned, Zombie's Halloween doesn't succeed at giving us a good Myers story. It's obvious that nobody wanted a true crime back story for Myers, because that just basically defangs the character and makes him less scary. Rob got Myers wrong, but, he still managed to make a potent slasher movie. Most people I read and talk to can't separate the franchise from the technical aspect of Rob's film. For me, I get a lot of what I need when I watch 2007 (especially my bagel-fingering quota). I guess the best comparison I could make would be comparing how people hated Halloween 3 when it came out versus how they treat it today. Halloween 3 has become its own movie, and in my eyes, 2007 has become its own movie.

As for the 2018 version, I think it's trying too hard to please too many people. The new Halloween films may have all the old "legacy" characters, but they forgot to bring along some of the ol' exploitative mojo that gave the original its style. I'll just leave it at that.

For me, this isn't even close. 2007

can't we just burn them all?

Go ahead, toss 'em up there.

I like them both the same. I have always thought Allison and Laurie 2.0 look like they could be sisters.

The trick is not minding
Zombie’s 2007 version at least digs into the psyche of a young Myers. We see how his home life may have shaped his way of life. It was great start to the film that unfortunately couldn’t maintain that momentum. It isn’t a total failure.

Then again, neither was the 2018 remake/reboot. But it doesn’t offer anything different or sincere in its story telling. I can’t recall if it was this one or Kills that constantly shouted “Evil dies tonight!”. Either way, it wasn’t a terrible film, per se.

Now, Ends? That rights the ship, somewhat, in my opinion. Probably the best one since Halloween 2 way back in 1981.

So Halloween Ends is the correct answer here.