Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
I'm actually a proponent of tinting, for those films where that was the original intent.

The film does not appear to be currently available on BluRay, however. Bummer.
But if they've restored the image and commissioned a new score I assume there'll be a release in the future.
That version on YouTube does look pretty good.

I came to feel the same way after watching a couple of seasons of The Sopranos. Masterful storytelling and great acting all around but in the end those guys were amoral, corrosive thugs. Some of the stuff they did would enrage me. That might have been one of Chase's objectives but even while showing the grubbiness of their lifestyle there was always an element of adulation to it.
Greatest show ever.

Victim of The Night

By IMDb, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8956753

Fat Girl - (2001)

When Fat Girl ended I felt like I'd just watched a truly great film, but I also felt like I'd been shaken up quite a bit - to say this isn't for everyone is an understatement, and I'm not sure I could have gone through with seeing it if I'd known what was in it. Despite all of that, it was only banned in Ontario for a little bit, which really surprises me. With what we see in Fat Girl, I'd have thought would be banned everywhere. Anyway, the film is principally about two girls - sisters - Elena (Roxane Mesquida) who is around 14 to 15-years-old, and Anaïs (Anaïs Reboux) who is around 12 to 13-years-old. While on holiday, Elena attracts the attention of young Fernando (Libero De Rienzo), who is in his 20s and attends university - and he lecherously takes advantage of Elena, with Anaïs as an unwilling witness to what goes on between them. This film goes into grotesque detail, and in my shock I kind of felt like barfing. To put a cherry on top, the film has an outlandish, horrific, full stop with a scene that just comes right out of the blue. Catherine Breillat has made a brilliant film here - but one I can't really recommend anybody watch. If you at all get offended by untoward things in film - stay clear. Good, but clearly crazy, filmmaking.

9/10

(Catherine Breillat had so much trouble filming the sex scenes in this that she made a whole film about her experiences, called Sex is Comedy.)
I also liked this a good bit.
I will admit something, I watched this movie because I am one of those men who is attracted, preferentially, to less-slim women and I found the idea of this movie really intriguing based on the very brief description on whatever service I saw it on. A movie about coming of age and sexual awakening from the point of view, more or less, of the heavy-set girl.
I didn't see what was coming coming. I was a bit dumbfounded by the time the credits rolled.

Victim of The Night
The Suicide Squad -

people really thought this one was better huh
Well, it couldn't possibly have been worse.

Victim of The Night
Thor: Love and Thunder -

Horseshoe theory but on one end it's The Dark World and on the other end it's this
As you are not the first person I've seen to pan it, and my only hope left for the MCU was pinned on this film, I am really saddened.
For a few years, this franchise brought me a lot of smiles and nostalgic happiness. And now it just seems like they cannot make a good movie to save their lives, almost certainly because that's no longer what they are trying to do.

Victim of The Night

The Ballad of Cable Hogue - I don't think this 1970 western would have garnered the accolades it has if it hadn't been directed by Sam Peckinpah or followed right on the heels of his grim, uber-violent classic, The Wild Bunch. Without that juxtaposition I think it might have been completely forgotten. I found it to be average at best. But then it does have a winning star performance by Jason Robards. Watching him in this drives home how unrecognized a talent he was. You may not light on his name right off the bat when discussing great performers but once you start thinking about his body of work you quickly come to realize just how strong and consummate an actor he was.

His supporting cast does alright but they're nowhere in his league. I suppose the comedic elements worked as a changeup and, with a big assist from Robards, lent some charm to the proceedings. And I suppose the production team were trying to ape the success of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with the soundtrack but the theme song was overused. Up to and including an unwelcome duet by Robards and costar Stella Stevens.

Peckinpah considered this his favorite film and his finest achievement. He may have seen parallels with his own life. But, outside of Robards, I was left somewhat underwhelmed.

75/100
I will gladly watch Jason Robards read the newspaper for two hours.
(Not that that makes this a good movie, but I enjoyed it anyway and maybe thought it was much better than you did because of how much that guy always won me over in everything he ever did.)

Victim of The Night
The Rocky Horror Picture Show -

Still good. I get a lot of David Bowie vibes from this movie and it's soundtrack. (Which is a huge plus!)
Given that this is my favorite film of all time, I feel confident saying that O'Brien was a Bowie fan and really part of the glam-rock movement in his way, given that The Rocky Horror Show opened in West End less than two years after The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars was released and it probably took some time to write the thing.

Victim of The Night
I absolutely love this film and will never understand people who don't like it (and I've read many).

Victim of The Night
I really enjoyed watching it. The visuals are really clear and the music is very good.
I think I'm actually gonna put this on for October or at least late September.

Well, it couldn't possibly have been worse.
I can't conceive of thinking it's worse. Among the best comic book movies since the craze began while Ayer's is among the worst (though I do hope he gets to release his cut)

My hot take about The Suicide Squad is that it was the first movie I saw in a theatre since the pandemic started so I was just happy to be back in a theatre. The movie itself barely registered but I suppose I didn't mind it.

My hot take about The Suicide Squad is that it was the first movie I saw in a theatre since the pandemic started so I was just happy to be back in a theatre. The movie itself barely registered but I suppose I didn't mind it.
It's a conflation of all things James Gunn. An ultra violent Troma picture with a blockbuster budget, filled with misfit superheroes and finely crafted action sequences that blend practical and digital effects better than most of the game. It's also pretty darn funny and ruthless.

I feel like you'd really like it outside of the theatrical experience if you ever gave it another whirl.

It's a conflation of all things James Gunn. An ultra violent Troma picture with a blockbuster budget, filled with misfit superheroes and finely crafted action sequences that blend practical and digital effects better than most of the game. It's also pretty darn funny and ruthless.

I feel like you'd really like it outside of the theatrical experience if you ever gave it another whirl.
Okay, I dug up my Letterboxd review and I had more thoughts. In summary:
- It was brutally hot that day and I was glad the AC worked.
- I liked that I didn't have to do a dozen movies' worth of homework to follow what was happening.
- I found the humour pretty leaden in delivery.
- I found the movie's attempts to evoke real world geopolitics less offensive than Wonder Woman 84.
- I found Margot Robbie annoying.
- I found the treatment of the David Dastmalchian character distasteful.

Don't ask me to defend these. Except the first point. It really was that hot that day.

Okay, I dug up my Letterboxd review and I had more thoughts. In summary:
- It was brutally hot that day and I was glad the AC worked.
- I liked that I didn't have to do a dozen movies' worth of homework to follow what was happening.
- I found the humour pretty leaden in delivery.
- I found the movie's attempts to evoke real world geopolitics less offensive than Wonder Woman 84.
- I found Margot Robbie annoying.
- I found the treatment of the David Dastmalchian character distasteful.

Don't ask me to defend these. Except the first point. It really was that hot that day.
I'll simply address the last two points:

If Harley isn't a bit annoying, she's not Harley. What's important is that she has foils to bounce off of, which I felt Gunn managed perfectly (something previous Harley films struggled to do).

I thought Polka Dot Man was handled better with more care, empathy and complexity than just about any character in the rest of the film or the genre in general. Can't see what's distasteful about it (besides it being within a Troma-esque intentionally bad taste romp that goes for dark comedy).

Now I need you to rewatch it to see if you feel the same.

I'll simply address the last two points:

If Harley isn't a bit annoying, she's not Harley. What's important is that she has foils to bounce off of, which I felt Gunn managed perfectly (something previous Harley films struggled to do).

I thought Polka Dot Man was handled better with more care, empathy and complexity than just about any character in the rest of the film or the genre in general. Can't see what's distasteful about it (besides it being within a Troma-esque intentionally bad taste romp that goes for dark comedy).

Now I need you to rewatch it to see if you feel the same.
I dunno, I didn't find Harley Quinn that annoying in TAS, but I think certain things work better in a cartoon context.

Fine, when I go through my entire Letterboxd watchlist, I'll give this a rewatch.

I will gladly watch Jason Robards read the newspaper for two hours.
(Not that that makes this a good movie, but I enjoyed it anyway and maybe thought it was much better than you did because of how much that guy always won me over in everything he ever did.)
We're on the same page when it comes to Robards. He turns in yet another winning performance. I realize the dichotomy of praising the lead performer but being left unaffected by the story. I just thought it sort of meandered.
It just didn't clutch me. Right here. (Points vaguely at ribs).

I dunno, I didn't find Harley Quinn that annoying in TAS, but I think certain things work better in a cartoon context.

Fine, when I go through my entire Letterboxd watchlist, I'll give this a rewatch.
I think the cartoon context changes a lot, as does the evolution of Harley as she transitioned from minor sidekick to the comic medium and became a "big deal." A similar character is Deadpool. If you look at his earliest comic appearances, he's a far cry from the constant wise-cracking, chimichanga obsessed "Merc with a mouth" that would reach popular zeitgeist.

Both seem like the more important they became, the more obnoxious became a defining trait, with much of the humor coming from how much they annoyed their co-stars.

To faithfully adapt them at this point, is either to maintain that annoying quality or lose fidelity. I think Gunn found the right balance (just as I think they hit the right balance in DP2).

That's unacceptable. You now have to do an entire James Gunn filmography exploration. You may either start with Tromeo and Juliet or Scooby Doo.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Minions; The Rise of Gru (2022)

As an American. As a True Blue Patriotic Son of Liberty, guess where th' f@ck I spent my July 4th -- at my local cinema, laughing my low-hangin hiney off.

High marks for the continuation of the saga, the mystical sojourn of trials and adventures of these plucky balls of yellow and denim, and of a young, shy, butterfly-like boy with a dream and the heart to pursue it.

Such poignant beauty. SUCH powerful and insightful Lessons to a better life and a better self.
I'm weepy.
No, seriously, I hit my keyboard, and it splashes. It's terrible.

F@ckin LOOOVE these guys, from the get-go and on Heavy Rotation ReWatch.

Kay Miniver: Did you know that the 12th Lord Beldon was hanged?
Lady Beldon: He was beheaded! Such things happen in the best families.
Usually in the best families.

Mrs. Miniver (1942)
+++ -- aw f@ckit,

A slow-burning, sublime elegance and grace during the beginning year or two(?) of World War II. When local fishers and ANYONE with a boat rescue retreating British troops with Germans hot on their trail from Dunkirk's beaches followed by the continuous bombing of London. Through the life experiences of Mrs. Miniver, an English "middle-class" - I'd say upper middle class, wife and mother. I was mesmerized by Greer Garson's performance. The ONLY other time I've seen her was in the minor but impacting role of Calpurnia in Julius Caeser. Searching her film history, I noticed a significant and, viewing them together, I completely understand why, the pairing with Walter Pidgeon. But I've picked out around four that feel like Must-Sees of her for me.

Released in 1942 of the stoic, honorable, stiff upper lip of God Loving, Honest, Courageous British and the way of life they were fighting for.
A wholesome film with genuinely beautiful characters by excellent actors, such as Theresa Wright as Lady Beldon's niece, courted by the eldest Miniver son, a recruit pilot stationed nearby. Henry Travers plays sweet, as is his charm, the kind-hearted, rose-cultivating Mr. Ballard. The very cast themselves are genuinely endearing. Winning six Academy awards; Best Film, Leading and Supporting Actresses (Garson/Wright), Director (William Wyler), Screenplay, and Cinematography. Wow.

BRAVO. Truly.