The MoFo Top 100 Foreign Language Film Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Both Close Up and Pather Panchali are decent enough but neither were ever in contention for my list.

Seen: 39/54 (Own: 24/54)

Faildictions ((バージョン 1.01):
46. Warui yatsu hodo yoku nemuru [The Bad Sleep Well] (1960)
45. Belle de Jour (1967)

Well, this doesn’t bode well for other Kiarastomi. I picked another of his. I really love him as a director, his dialogue is right in my wheel house. I rank Close Up towards the bottom of his filmography though. It was either his first or second I watched so I definitely owe it another look.

I voted for a different Ray film as well. It’s a toss up whether the one I picked or Pather is my favorite. They are both fantastic films with awesome female performances. I was hoping both would be on the list, that’s why I went the other way. Doesn’t look like that will happen.

Didn't vote for either but no qualms with either one showing up here. They're great.

I haven't seen much Kiarostami but I found Close-up pretty accessible compared to the others I've seen. For all its formal adventurism, the movie is grounded firmly in the relationship between the main character and the family.

Voted for another Ray, outside the trilogy.

Great! I'm happy to see both make it. That makes me a double winner today!

5. Close-Up (1990)
6. Chungking Express (1994)
13. Sonatine (1993)
14. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
15. The Mirror (1975)
17. Red Desert (1964)
21. Caché (2005)
22. Pather Panchali (1955)
25. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2004)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Yeah! Another from my list made it....and that's always a good thing, for me that is
I had Pather Panchali at #21. I seen it long ago and it must have been good because I remember being impressed by it.

a streak from my ballot.

3. Close-Up (1990)

16. Pather Panchali (1955)

Neither made my ballot, but I love both films.

Close-Up is really good. It gives a compelling portrait of the relationship between the con man and the family and is an excellent combination of fictional and documentary filmmaking (A Moment of Innocence is my favorite film with this theme though). With that being said, it doesn't grab me as much as some of his other films do. Taste of Cherry, Where is the Friend's Home?, and Through the Olive Trees (the second half though, mainly) are my favorite of his films. Overall, I mostly love his minimalist style.

I remember loving Pather Panchali when I watched it a few years ago, but I don't remember it that well. I'll have to revisit it someday. As for the rest of the trilogy, I haven't seen Aparajito, but I watched World of Apu earlier this year and really enjoyed it.

Anyways, neither film made my ballot.

Close Up is #24 on my ballot, but not my highest ranking Iranian film. It's an astonishingly creative bit of film-making by a legend.

Pather Panchali is good and the only one of the Apu trilogy I've seen but I couldn't quite squeeze it into my list.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I kept nodding off during the time I attended a rep screening of Close-Up but between the fact that I've liked every other Kiarostami I've seen and how he is one of those filmmakers who says that falling asleep during a film is Good Actually I don't take it to mean that I thought it was boring or bad (though I do owe it a fully conscious and attentive viewing). Pather Panchali is excellent, of course.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I watched Close-Up because it was in Harry Lime's Top 100. It tells the bizarre true-life story of Ali Sabzian, a poor Irani, who poses as prize-winning writer/director Mohsen Makhmalbaf to "infiltrate" the home and family of a Tehran businessman and basically attempt to make a movie. Although he's found out rather quickly and charged with petty fraud, Makhmalbaf's fellow director Abbas Kiarostami makes a film of the entire episode, recreating scenes and filming Sabzian's actual trial. What it all adds up to is an interesting look at the Irani justice system and a portrait of a poor man who loves art so much that he'll do anything to try to give to others what films have given to him.

This film has been acclaimed from around the world, and its simple artistry allows the "character"'s humanity to shine through. It does make you think about what constitutes reality, not only in life but in movies. I especially liked the way the trial proceeded in that it was much more informal than our trials. Here the accused sits directly in front of the plaintiffs. I don't know if that was standard practice in Iran or if it's used as a cinematic gimmick, but it works well. In fact, although much of the film works well, the jagged nature of the storytelling and the recreations of what allegedly happened tend to diffuse the power of Close-Up for me. I realize that this isn't that much different than many of the most-honored documentaries of the last decade, but I'm still left here wondering if I'm watching a documentary or somebody taking advantage of a situation to make a "unique" movie in a unique manner. I would recommend Close-Up to everyone here who believes that it will appeal to them based on this write-up. On the other hand, if this doesn't seem like your cup of tea, you're probably correct, but it is an entryway into the interesting world of Iranian film and probably should be seen just for being so unusual.

Pather Panchali was Ray's first film, and believe it or not, it took three years to film because he kept having to scrounge together his $40,000 budget! Its simple depiction of simple people with no apparent hope for the future should affect almost all those who watch it.

No votes.

Pather Panchali is the most realistic take on poverty I've ever seen. I watched an asston of Satyajit Ray's movies before I watched this, and I'm not disappointed.

I've seen 3 movies from that Iranian director and they were all ok at best for me.

Pather Panchali hit me hard.

6. Pather Panchali (#47)
8. Children of Paradise (#58)
9. The Skin I Live In (#92)
10. Contempt (#71)
14. Sundays and Cybele (#73)
16. Samurai Rebellion (#79)
24. Three Colors: Red (#54)

Haven't seen any of these two...

My Summary:

Seen: 16/54
My list: 3/25

My List  

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
30/52

-The Battle of Algiers - 10/10
-Le Trou - 9/10
-Knife In The Water - 8.5/10
-A Man Escaped - 8/10
-Nights of Cabiria - 8/10
-Sundays & Cybele - 8/10
-Close-Up - 8/10 - Not my favorite Kiarostami but a very fascinating having to relive it all over. I think a "Making of" documentary would be SO fascinating.

-Pather Panchali - 8/10 - influenced by the Italian neo-realism of Vittorio De Sica, Rosselini, etc.

-Tokyo Story - 8/10
-Contempt - 8/10
-Red Desert - 7.5/10
-Le Cercle Rouge - 7.5/10
-Rome, Open City - 7.5/10
-Shoplifters - 7/10
-Léon Morin, Priest - 7/10
-Bob Le Flambeur - 7/10
-Rififi - 7/10
-The Virgin Spring -7/10
-Run Lola Run - 7/10
-Le Samourai - 7/10
-The Conformist - 7/10
-The Celebration- 7/10
-Au Revoir les Enfants - 6.5/10
-Last Year At Marienbad - 6/10
-Roma - 6/10
-Z - 6/10
-Army of Shadows - 5/10
-The Mirror - 5/10
-Fitzcarraldo - 5/10
-Le Haine - 4/10

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
"La Collectionneuse" will be on TCM at 2am, July 19th.

I've never seen it, but have been wanting to. I'm almost sure I selected my favorite Rohmer movie in my list.

I watched Close-Up because it was in Harry Lime's Top 100.
Right on.

Speaking of my top 100 I'm scared to look because I may feel the need to redo it. But I guess now with the custom list that Yoda has added it's much easier.

Fell really behind but here's the ones from my list who have made it

My List
2. La Haine
3. Knife in the Water
5. Close-Up
10. Diabolique

12. Cache
14. Three Colors: Blue

The Hunt didn't make mine but thrilled to see it so high- definitely in my top 50 foreign

111 points, 6 lists
46. Princess Mononoke

Director

Hayao Miyazaki, 1997

Starring

Yoji Matsuda, Yuriko Ishida, Yuko Tanaka, Kaoru Kobayashi