The Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame III: Foreign Language Edition

Tools    

Contempt, 1963

A screenwriter named Paul (Michel Piccoli) is hired by a blowhard American producer named Prokosch (Jack Palance) to help rework the script for a film adaptation of The Odyssey being made by Fritz Lang (played by Lang himself!!). But things quickly go off the rails when Prokosch expresses interest in Paul's wife, Camille (Brigitte Bardot) and Paul almost seems to indulge in Prokosch going after Camille. This drives a wedge between Paul and Camille.

I am very grateful to the person (I think it was @crumbsroom) who told me, regarding Godard, that I had to see the alienation as intentional. This was a critical reframing for me as I was constantly frustrated by my inability to connect with Godard's films. In Contempt this aspect is amplified as there is also a meta element of critiquing the film industry itself and the crude constraints placed on directorial artistry.

The best realized aspect of the film is the quick decay of the relationship between Camille and Paul, best displayed in a long fight between the couple after Paul lets Prokosch drive alone in a car with Camille. In a disagreement that spans various rooms--and various states of dress and undress--in their home and evolving emotions of both characters, Camille outlines the way that her feelings toward her husband have gone from love to contempt. One suspects that this is something that has maybe been in the works for a while, but the argument shows how an incident can act as a catalyst and accelerator for such an emotional shift.

It is also delightful seeing Lang as himself, even if Godard seems to be using him in part as a stand in for himself, bemoaning the way that the film industry must always interfere and reduce art to the lowest common denominator. In one scene, Prokosch throws a fit while reviewing footage that Lang has shot.

Even with that critical reframing that I spoke about earlier, I still find the alienation of Godard's films challenging. The most admiration I ever feel for them is a sort of abstract, "Well, I guess he . . . accomplished what he was trying to do" feeling. The well-realized dynamic--and chief model of alienation in the film--between Camille and Paul doesn't quite fit, in my opinion, with the rest of the movie, which feels more winking and over the top. And certain aspects of the meta critique, such as the numerous, numerous sequences in which the film lingeringly pans over Bardot's nude body, just didn't work that well for me. It is too like all of the other pandering nudity you get in other films to distinguish it in any meaningful way.

As with much of the Godard I've seen, I appreciated elements of it but didn't really click with it on an emotional level.

It could have been me. I frequently cite Godards overt embrace of the artifice of cinema as one of the things that I not only love about him, but that was the key to appreciating film in much the way I do today. But it's not that I experience his movies in some kind of emotional vaccuum either. I think his films can sear my heart as much as the most emotionally raw and earnest of filmmakers. It's just I appreciate that he grasps how in trying to capture the essence of life on film, we also can acknowledge the fact that what we are watching is a laboured over production, a two dimensional image, and a bit of a con game, as fiction always is in many ways. It is a kind of honesty that clears the air to allow an appreciation for the beauty that not only comes with the on screen troubles and emotions we watch the characters go through, but the beauty of creation itself. Along with Suzuki, I've probably learned more about the musicality of moving images and editing from these two than anyone else. And it was a really important lesson for me.

Contempt is definitely one of my favorites of his. If not the favorite. Pierrot Le Fou and My Life to Live are real close though.

It's just I appreciate that he grasps how in trying to capture the essence of life on film, we also can acknowledge the fact that what we are watching is a laboured over production, a two dimensional image, and a bit of a con game, as fiction always is in many ways. It is a kind of honesty that clears the air to allow an appreciation for the beauty that not only comes with the on screen troubles and emotions we watch the characters go through, but the beauty of creation itself.
I think that where I get a bit stuck with him is the way that he frames himself/the artist in this meta context.

I know what you mean about being able to acknowledge the beauty of film AND the beauty of creating art at the same time (as witnessed in some of the gorgeous staging later in Contempt or the personal touch of the opening credits being spoken out loud instead of appearing on screen).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
The Tin Drum: I have a friend who occasionally has called me, jokingly...I think, the movie douche. When I watch a movie like The Tin Drum I always remember why. From the opening shot of a potato field with a single women and fire burning I thought to myself, "oh awesome, I get to watch cinema instead of a movie today". Whether that makes me a snob or means I have developed taste? I don't really care anymore, because I love "cinema", and that's exactly what The Tin Drum is.

The metaphor at work here is exactly what I love in art film. Just out of my complete grasp but also I am absorbing enough for it to make my heart ache throughout. The descent into hell is constant and never leaves you for a second.

I loved absolutely everything about this. It is gorgeous and ugly all at the same time. The characters are all engaging and top-notch. Absolute masterpiece. Not only the best of my bunch so far but the best I have seen in probably over a year.
Great job Sean!

The Tin Drum is a great movie, and I think we have 2 other members who are going to watch it. It's been on my list of potential HoF nominations.

I've seen Open Your Eyes once. I didn't love it but it's better than Vanilla Sky.
I'm one of them, so I really enjoyed reading this.
Gives me a great gauge for a proper state of mind when I view this. Adding to the anticipation I already have without overhyping. So, f@ckin YAY

I saw that way back when it was released. It was during my I watch everything with Gooding because he made one of my favorite characters ever phase. That one didn't last long, and this movie didn't help.
LOL
Gooding was a great go-to during that time. Really enjoyed a lot of the films he did then. For me, it was Robin Williams that had me rushing to the theater to experience this, as well as the film's dream-filled landscape. Pretty amazing watch on a large screen and continued to be when I would rent it from Blockbuster and the like.

I haven't seen it since the nineties, and the need to see it again has been a fun lil itch for a couple of years now. More so when I nominated The Fisher King a few HoFs back.

My favorite film from Cruz is Volver. I think she has amazing presence.

I like Cruz and Eduardo Noriega, so I quite enjoyed Abre los Ojos.
I'm planning on seeing that before turning in my countdown ballot.
I think it's mine too. But, in true Sean fashion, I don't remember it much at this point.
That is actually THE Cruz film that is forever on my peripheral since I first saw the movie poster years ago and, like others, it was that "Watch me. You'll love me." vibe that I'll get that always come very true.
I should add it to my watchlist for the 2021 Movie Challenge. I really love the viewing opportunities that have opened up, being a part of that. Thanks again @Wyldesyde for getting me involved in that - and @Jabs for running it.

I just finished watching Nights of Cabiria (1957). Directed by the legendary Federico Fellini, this Oscar winning film stars Giulietta Masina as Maria 'Cabiria' Ceccarelli, a prostitute looking for love. Masina is excellent her in a layered, complex performance. She feels real and believable. The cinematography is beautiful and the film tells its story in an effective way. This wouldn't be one of my absolute favourite Fellini films, but it is very good and highly recommended. I would rate it a
I liked that^^^and would like to see it again.
I've only recently seen my first Fellini film, La Dolce Vita, which I really loved, and this one of his that a lot of folks talk about, so it is one I'm rather curious about.

I've only recently seen my first Fellini film, La Dolce Vita, which I really loved, and this one of his that a lot of folks talk about, so it is one I'm rather curious about.
I have a hunch you might be seeing another soon

When I first watched this that quote above made me laugh. I believe this was my second film I watched, after Seven Samurai, and before Ran and Kagemusha. All four are amazing to watch and made me a fan of his
I had heard of Kurosawa throughout my youth, but, I think I was in my 30s when I saw my first one, Seven Samurais. The pacing felt almost standstill at the time. Same with my second film, Throne of Blood, a short time later. (Need to revisit that since I scarcely remember it) That was solely on my acclimation to fast, intense, Hollywood-styled films that were my main consumption at the time. It was still pretty obvious WHY he's a director everyone spoke of and how he inspired so many later directors.
As I mentioned, my limited views have been severe, heavy films, making Yojimbo an extended exploration of Kurosawa's film-making.
In fact, it has achieved a very high Rewatchability due to its humor and just how much fun of a watch it is.

Then back to back Kurosawa movies. My favorites are The Seven Samurai, High and Low, The Idiot, and The Hidden Fortress. Ikiru is close behind, and even though Yojimbo would be further down the list, it's certainly better than most movies.
I was very impressed by High and Low when I watched it in the Japanese HoF. Definitely scored high for favorites. I thought very highly of Stray Dog when I saw that some years ago.
Has I've said before, Kurosawa sits in that list of Directors I Truly Love But Have Scarcely Seen Much Of. Pretty d@mn happy to be getting the opportunities to rectify that.

Congratulations Takoma, you are the 2nd member to finish!

I've been up and down with Godard, but Contempt blew me away and is by far my favorite.

Allaby has now seen 8 and I still haven't seen Rocco and His Brothers. He will most likely be next to finish unless he goes on vacation for a couple of weeks.

Let The Right One In: Totally coming off like a genre fuddy duddy in this hall. I guess I probably am. Never had a vampire film really grab me. I guess Only Lovers Left Alive was the closest. This did have some decent visuals, the cat attack and final pool scene being the best. The central relationship is solid as well. The rest felt very underdeveloped in service of our vampire. Not a bad watch, just not especially engaging either.

I’m going to sit back and watch the rest of your reviews come in. List forthcoming Cricket.
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this one as much. A good film that stepped out of the usual vampire tropes.
Speaking of Only Lovers Left Alive, now THAT is an excellent step out of the usual vampire flicks. Huge, HUGE fan of that one.

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives

A blind watch from the Cannes list, and for the first 15 to 20 minutes I was thinking this was some sort of horror film featuring Bigfoot and ghosts. It's not, but rather a deeply spiritual film. It seems like a weird movie, but again I don't think it actually is. There's some back and forth between reality and fantasy (spirituality) and even the cinematography altering between spectacular and plain. Even the score goes from nonexistent to naturally thunderous and foreboding. It sounds like an odd mix but I thought it worked well. The story revolves around a dying man and from there the title will tell you more than I'm willing to. This is a good movie that I can picture touching the right viewer in a big way. I don't have a spiritual bone in my body so I'm not that viewer. As a result it was sometimes a slow journey even it was a fascinating one.

-
hmmm. . . never heard of it, but it does sound intriguing. . .

Great reviews, as per usual, Takoma! Both of these are on my watchlist. Tokyo Story went on after my second Ozu film, Banshun (Late Spring). And with Ikuru, along with delving into Kurosawa's non-samurai films, is to see Takashi Shimura in a lead role. I've only seen him as an incredibly strong secondary character previously. So...

I watched Smiles of a Summer Night (1955), directed by one of my top 5 favourite directors of all time, the legendary Ingmar Bergman. This comedy involves the romantic entanglements of a lawyer, his much younger wife, his son, an actress, and a sexy maid. The film touches upon love, infidelity, and jealousy. The sets and costumes are really lovely and everyone looks glamourous and stylish. My main problem with the film is that I didn't find it very funny or amusing. There are some witty lines and cute moments, but for a Bergman film I was expecting more. The performances are fine, but no one blew me away. For me, this is one of Bergman's lesser films. That being said, it is still a pretty good film and worth watching. My rating is a

I nominated Smiles of a Summer Night for a HoF before. It seems that most people like it, but also that I like it more than most people do.

What I like about Smiles of a Summer Night is that it presents itself as a rather light romcom, and for the most part it operates as such, but still has its fair share of serious subtext and jabs at marriage and the church underneath the surface.

I seen Smiles of a Summer Night and maybe it went over my head as it didn't do much for me. Then again I haven't liked any of the Bergman films I've seen. While maybe this PRIII will change that as I have the The Seventh Seal (1957) to watch. Here's hoping I like it!

I think you would like Autumn Sonata CR. Actually surprised I didn't see that unchecked on your list and rec'd it to you.
I just took a look at it and it sounds good so who knows that might be the one that gets me in the Bergman camp.