Jinn's 100 Films of the 2010s

Tools    

Thank you for this awesome list, Jinnistan!
I saw most of the films and I agree with many of your choices. Looking forward to seeing the ones I missed. Especially "mother!", "Holy Motors" and "Youth".

I approve, JJ. You can sleep well knowing that.
JJ, the list was "dyn-o-mite", as the kids say.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
1. The Tree of Life (2011, dir. Terrence Malick)
Oh, Jinnistan, pour aller jusqu'à toi, quel drôle de chemin il m'a fallu prendre.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I approve, JJ. You can sleep well knowing that.
I slept like a baby before even seeing this post.

Thanks, Sexy. I've shared your neon-noir prequel cut with all my friends, and I'll always admire your productivity.

JJ, the list was "dyn-o-mite", as the kids say.
Since John Amos is the only one from Good Times I care to respect, I'll abstain from my review of Coming 2 America.

Other than that, do you have a sister, Rock?

Oh, Jinnistan, pour aller jusqu'à toi, quel drôle de chemin il m'a fallu prendre.
I feel like posting a gif from American Gigolo. Or maybe Midnight Express. Cable Guy?

I shouldn't have called you out like that. I apologize.

I slept like a baby before even seeing this post.

Thanks, Sexy. I've shared your neon-noir prequel cut with all my friends, and I'll always admire your productivity.
Thanks, JJ. And I think we both know you slept like a baby because deep down...

You knew.

2. Mother! (2017, dir. Darren Aronofsky)

Bow down, ye dogs! Pay your respects to the thankless maven what brung you, bathed you, buttered your bread and bottom and now you won't even call on Sunday.

There's a lot of different takes on this film, many of them execreble. "There's even some evil mothers who'll tell you that everything is just dirt" - Lou. I'll stick with the more positive, attentive takes. Whether the film is a biblical allegory, an environmental allegory, a feminist allegory, an allegory of the relationship between artist and muse or between celebrity and fan - all convincingly supported by the text but what matters more than that is in how smoothly all of these interpretations rhyme. Why not all of them, layered like facets of a pricelessly flawed diamond?

I had a ball watching the film in the theater as those around me began to realize they were in way over their heads. Sure, I may have laughed a little too loud at some inappropriate moments in the first half. (I can relate to her social anxiety.) But as things, um, escalated, I found it quite revealing just how closely the film's chaos was reflected in the audience's increasingly vocal discomfort. I was delighted, I have no idea what they were expecting, but it probably wasn't Luis Bunuel's wet dream. But this truth really only hit home for me a couple of weeks later, when I returned to the theater to see Blade Runner. The promotional cardboard kiosk for mother! (the same image as above) had been badly mauled in the interim, the apple cheeks slashed, both eyes punctured and gouged, I think one hole was definitely made by foot. I guess some people didn't like this fine motion picture. Anyone who's seen it will get the analogy, the self-fulfilling accuracy of the movie's portrayal of the popular id. I'm sure that many of the young men involved in this desecration had so happily fapped to Ms. Lawrence's stolen naked body just a couple years previously, felt entitled to infringe on her intimacy as if she should have been thankful to them. Assh0les deserve to be disappointed every once and awhile.
I'm also a fan and was wondering if you'd have the chutzpah to rank it #1. I haven't seen the Malick so I can live with #2 I guess. Starting to wonder how I'd have reacted if I'd seen it in a theater full of annoyed patrons. Probably for the best that I didn't.

Great thread, it reminded me of a few I'd forgotten to watchlist.

Victim of The Night
I am just realizing that this means it is actually over. Sad. This was damn good work.

...although that being said, this list still needs some more Spiderverse, if you ask me.

I'm also a fan and was wondering if you'd have the chutzpah to rank it #1.
Oh, I chutz. It was my #1 of 2017, but due to the chaos of the RT forums collapsing, I don't think I ever made a proper list that year.

Speaking of which, I still suspect that it was my "Taylor Swift: Nazi Barbie" thread which ended the RT forums. That Ice Shiksa's lawyers are no joking matter.

Thanks to everyone for reading and playing along. Later on, I'll tally up the votes, see which entry got the most likes. Maybe see which years got the most and least, directors, actors, etc. And I'll get the master list typed up so you don't have to keep thumbing through 20 pages to see all of them.

...although that being said, this list still needs some more Spiderverse, if you ask me.
Ah yes, the only good superhero movie.

On a side note, here's a list I put together some time ago:

https://www.listchallenges.com/top-2...s-of-the-2010s

I made it over a year ago, but it would be about the same if I remade it.
I haven't seen Cameraperson yet, but generally I avoided docs from this list.

Prisoners is actually my least favorite Villenueve film. Well made, but not very interesting to me.

I think I've mentioned my issues with Whiplash elsewhere. It didn't have a chance here. You can call me a hater. I sincerely hate this movie.

Coogler was a hard omission. Fruitvale and BlackKklansman just didn't make the cut.

Ah yes, the only good superhero movie.
Ms. Teschmacher!!!