CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Oh okay . So if the woman orgasms from the guy and the guy has no sexual prowess, then would that be a stereotyping, even if it's true that some women do that?

Another contemporary cliche that always gives me a sardonic smile is whenever a computer or laptop is used in a scene, especially when the characters are searching for something, they always sit down and furiously attack the keyboard, madly typing away. Don't they ever use the mouse?...

~Doc
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a movie character sit down at a laptop and utilize a mouse.

One that just occurred to me after seeing it again, is why do guys always button their suit jackets when they sit up. Is that common?
I've noticed this in courtroom dramas, movies or TV...whenever the lawyer stands to question a witness, they always button one button on their jacket before leaving the table. On the other hand, I never see them unbutton that same button when they sit back down.

Maybe not so much of a cliche, but a pet peeve of mine.

Food being wasted in shows and movies. For example, there will be a simple or elaborate display of food and the actors barely touch it or at the most take a spoonful and then get up and leave to do something. I can understand if something bad happens and they have to quickly leave. But most often that's not the case, and characters simply leave their plates that are full.

Great movie, and my favorite courtroom film. Jimmy Stewart, George C. Scott, Lee Remick, Ben Gazzara, and the always appealing Eve Arden. What a picture!
I've always wondered about this too. You can't un-ring a bell. Judges are always telling jurors to disregard a piece of testimony. Maybe they aren't allowed to use said testimony when voting on the verdict, but they still heard it and it's not going to be erased from their memory or shade their deliberations.

I can't remember which youtube video, but a lawyer on youtube had a channel, where he debunked this in movies and said that judges aren't allowed to tell jurors to do this in real life, because if the jury is contaminated with tainted evidence, they need to get a new jury then, or it's grounds for a mistrial.

Vomiting has been around in films for decades.
The Exorcist in the 70s comes to mind
Oh Lord yes, this is one that's gotten so ubiquitous that it seems as though every series or film has to have an obligatory barf scene: barfing on the floor, barfing on oneself, or the standard commode ralphing. I'll be glad when writers get tired of using this one...

Another cliche is a lot of times when the hero is torturing info out of a villian, the villain has to then go and insult the hero, or his murdered wife, etc, thereby antagonizing the hero into executing him. He could have maybe lived, if he hadn't decided to slip a final insult in there.

Another cliche in movies is people often order anchovies on pizza, but are there pizza places that actually have this option of topping? If there are, I will shut up about that.
Heck, yes, here in America. Canadians don’t do this, eh?

And don't forget the obligatory simultaneous orgasm.
Good luck trying to achieve this with someone new.

But movies also have it the opposite way where the guy has an orgasm and the woman has no sexual prowess either.
Guys can orgasm easily. As soon as they discover masturbation.

As a guy, I can confirm we orgasm much easier then women do apparently.

🤔
🤨
😩
Wait, are we seriously at this point?
🤷
You’re right and, yes, we appear to be.

But isn't it kind of stereotying to say that the majority of guys don't need a woman with sexual prowess to get off?
A guy can get off any time anywhere.

Oh okay . So if the woman orgasms from the guy and the guy has no sexual prowess, then would that be a stereotyping, even if it's true that some women do that?
Well, he would have to have some clue as to what he’s doing. Not necessarily prowess. Some women orgasm very easily, but I would say most women don’t.

Food being wasted in shows and movies. For example, there will be a simple or elaborate display of food and the actors barely touch it or at the most take a spoonful and then get up and leave to do something. I can understand if something bad happens and they have to quickly leave. But most often that's not the case, and characters simply leave their plates that are full.
Americans waste a ton of food in movies & in real life. Restaurant portions, e.g., are huge.

Oh Lord yes, this is one that's gotten so ubiquitous that it seems as though every series or film has to have an obligatory barf scene: barfing on the floor, barfing on oneself, or the standard commode ralphing. I'll be glad when writers get tired of using this one...
First barfing scene I ever saw was poor Adriana in The Sopranos when the feds scared her into thinking she was going to prison. As you say, vomit is literally everywhere now.

Oh okay, well what do I know about sex, I guess I just thought it was generalizing, but maybe genders are generalized in sex .

Another cliche I picked up on, and the movie Freaky recently did this too, is whenever you have a high school movie, about a nerdy girl unnattractive girl that the guys don't want, they always have to higher a goodlooking and sexy attress to play her, and try to make her look unattractive.

Another cliche I picked up on, and the movie Freaky recently did this too, is whenever you have a high school movie, about a nerdy girl unnattractive girl that the guys don't want, they always have to higher a goodlooking and sexy attress to play her, and try to make her look unattractive.
Right. And the “ugly” girl wears huge glasses which she eventually whips off to show that she really is good-looking.

Yeah. Would it be a death sentence to the movie to cast an average or below average looking actress?

Yeah. Would it be a death sentence to the movie to cast an average or below average looking actress?
Depends on the movie. Obviously or a ton of actresses would be out of work.

But wouldn't more lesser looking actresses get work then?

But the cops say to them, that they can have an attorney appointed to them, so the cops are planting the idea to get one in their heads, and for free even.
I think people feel (and this makes sense to me) that once a lawyer is involved ***t really did get real.

I think people feel (and this makes sense to me) that once a lawyer is involved ***t really did get real.
But if you are arrested, hasn't ***t already got real?

I never really thought about this until I read this, but it's true...tons and tons of food gets totally wasted in movie.

I've noticed the food thing as well. Another cliche in horror movies, when a group of people are being hunted they say they will stick together, but they then they split up, like Alien, The Thing, Leviathan, etc.