MoFo Top 100 Films Watchers Club

Tools    

Was it Bad Lieutnent who tried to crush my opinion that it was better than Manhattan? Or was it Crimes and Misdemeanors? Anyway, I know the cross.

Sounds kinda BL. He crushed so many of my opinions, sometimes for good. Not always though. But still fun enough to recommend.

The trick is not minding
Was it Bad Lieutnent who tried to crush my opinion that it was better than Manhattan? Or was it Crimes and Misdemeanors? Anyway, I know the cross.
Definitely better then Manhattan. Maybe better the Crimes and Misdemeanors. The latter has been far too long since I’ve seen it to accurately compare.
Manhattans issue was j could t get over the ickiness of Allen dating a way too young Hemingway.

What am I supposed to watch here? I've seen all of these. Maybe rewatch those I've only seen once? American History X? Braveheart? Urgh. The strength, where is it.....

Any of these that I accidently watched this year? Mulholland Dr? Was that last year? (what year is it?) Like Persona, one of the most effective cinematic depictions of psychological dissociation because Lynch intuitively understands the non-verbal grammar of primal image impulses as well as the depth to which these impulses are programmed by how our media environment shapes and mythologizes our desires. Wild At Heart is still the one I watch the most though. That dog barks, some.

I do have Andrei Rublev sitting here, a friend wanted to borrow it. I don't know. Times are tough.

I think I found something.

Victim of The Night
I finally watched Metropolis over the weekend and was blown away by it. This was the 2001 restoration mind you, not the more famous 2010 restoration.
I’ve had it for a decade and just never rigor around to. The countdown finally encouraged me to do so.
Easily my top film this year
It's pretty great. When I finally saw the whole thing I was also "blown away". Yes, I think that's a good way to describe it.

Victim of The Night
I'm honestly not that well-versed in Allen, I've seen maybe 6 or 7 of his films, but I loved Manhattan.

I've actually spent a lot of time watching bad movies to make sure my list doesn't have too many five-stars, so I watch at least one worse movie to counter a good one (8/10 or higher). I've seen more by Gus Trikonis than either Allen or Altman, but I'm certainly trying to get through more. Got through two Rodriguez movies today. But I'm pretty versed in Coppola, Spielberg, Jackson, Cameron, Scorsese, Raimi, Bluth, Carpenter, Tarantino, Nolan, Kubrick and the Coens.

I'm honestly not that well-versed in Allen, I've seen maybe 6 or 7 of his films, but I loved Manhattan.
It's clearly one of the handful of Allen films considered a classic for a reason. It is for this reason that I must suffer my Stardust Memories preference.

It's clearly one of the handful of Allen films considered a classic for a reason. It is for this reason that I must suffer my Stardust Memories preference.
The two that Allen has claimed as his favorite of his own films has either been Stardust Memories or Match Point, so you've got some strong support there.

I love SM and consider it one of the finer efforts to evoke 8 1/2, perhaps only topped by All That Jazz in that regard (I swear I had a mental list of times filmmakers have done their riff on the film but they've since slipped away from me).

Victim of The Night
Heh. Well, I'll add SM to the list.

I love SM and consider it one of the finer efforts to evoke 8 1/2, perhaps only topped by All That Jazz in that regard (I swear I had a mental list of times filmmakers have done their riff on the film but they've since slipped away from me).
These are films which tend to get the "self-indulgent" label, and I happen to appreciate an artist who can navigate their own ass. Both of these are excellent examples. They're also necessarily deprecating, in their colonic scrutiny, but firm stools for future ventures nonetheless.

Stardust Memories is easily one of my favourite Allen's. Criminally under appreciated
Just want to tag in @Cobpyth here because I know he absolutely loves this film and considers it to be one of Allen's best too. He always tried to big it up around here, so he'll be happy to see there's a couple more fans now. I still haven't seen it myself.

Just want to tag in @Cobpyth here because I know he absolutely loves this film and considers it to be one of Allen's best too. He always tried to big it up around here, so he'll be happy to see there's a couple more fans now. I still haven't seen it myself.
Watch it!