Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

I have only seen Shoplifters, After Life and Nobody Knows. I think I had Like Father, Like Son queued up at one point but then it left that streaming service or something and didn't end up watching it.

I have liked/loved everything I've seen from him.
I'd suggest 'Still Walking' (a modern Tokyo Story), 'Our Little Sister' or perhaps 'I Wish' (similar to 'Shoplifters') next.

I'd suggest 'Still Walking' (a modern Tokyo Story), 'Our Little Sister' or perhaps 'I Wish' (similar to 'Shoplifters') next.
Our Little Sister is actually the third film down in my DVD queue, so I'll be seeing it soon!

It seems like his whole filmography is probably worth a look, so I'll just sling them all on my watchlist.

Seriously, other than Taken, which I don't even think it's that great, is there any one of these brainless Liam Neeson action flicks that's worth the time? Asking seriously, cause I think the only one I've seen is Non-Stop, which I thought was as dumb as it gets.

And please, don't mention The Grey. That film deserves better than to be lumped with those others.
Not mentioning anything...I think Neeson is capable of *much* better as an actor but I keep watching as I like him. It's that simple. He really needs a better agent though.

Recently I have seen Venom with Tom Hardy. It is so silly like it was made for really stupid people with a low IQ. I can rate it only this way 1/10. I usually drink a good coffee in my home with my favorite burger watching a cool movie, but that movie really spoiled my evening.

Seriously, other than Taken, which I don't even think it's that great, is there any one of these brainless Liam Neeson action flicks that's worth the time? Asking seriously, cause I think the only one I've seen is Non-Stop, which I thought was as dumb as it gets.

And please, don't mention The Grey. That film deserves better than to be lumped with those others.
Taken's success has typecast him in that role, and I agree with your general assessment. As for your question, I did enjoy Cold Pursuit. Unfortunately that movie suffered because of that interview during the movie's promotion, where Neeson was actually refreshingly honest and a bigger man in admitting his fault.
Commuter was another decent edge of seat action flick, if you go in with low or no expectations.

Cold Pursuit, Run All Night and to a lesser extent, the Commute are worth checking out.

Re: Liam Neeson, I don't know if it's ok to draw this parallel, but anyway... I've always thought if his penchant to go full action movie star has something to do with the sudden death of his wife. It was more or less around the time that Taken was released, and I don't know, maybe these kind of films are as escapist to him to make as it is for viewers to watch.

Re: Liam Neeson, I don't know if it's ok to draw this parallel, but anyway... I've always thought if his penchant to go full action movie star has something to do with the sudden death of his wife. It was more or less around the time that Taken was released, and I don't know, maybe these kind of films are as escapist to him to make as it is for viewers to watch.
He's said as much. He had been thinking retiring or something before she passed then dedicated himself to his work to get through mourning. His output quadrupled during this time.

I also think he just really enjoys working with Jaume Collet Serra (directed most of these films).

I thought I had already posted about some of these but can't find my posts so here we go...

Borat: Subsequent Moviefilm (Jason Woliner, 2020)

Decent enough considering it could never have been as funny as the first without the main thing that made it funny... that people didn't know Borat was a character. Some of the jokes are crudely fitted into the format in a way that doesn't feel as natural as they probably did in SBC's head. Watched it a couple of times, liked it less the second time. Isn't going to age well.

The Trial of the Chicago 7 (Aaron Sorkin, 2020)

Sorkin is definitely a very capable writer as I was quite sceptical at the start of the film how he was going to make this riveting considering the plot skips all the action and takes place in a court room with some flashbacks. It's a little bit corny in parts but it succeeds at what it wants to well. Well written, strong editing, good performances. I enjoyed the discussions over different political approaches from people on the "same side", relatable to me at least.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Wes Anderson, 2004)

I'm a fan of Wes Anderson so enjoyed this just about how I expected too. It's probably about time I revisited some of his other films, I enjoyed that this was slightly darker and more reflective - I think, although maybe I'm being harsh on his other films that have faded a bit from my memory.

Sideways (Alexander Payne, 2004)

Payne has been a bit hit and miss for me before, which I found frustrating because the first film of his I saw was Nebraska at the cinema which I loved. This is probably his second-best for me personally. Lots of laughs, some great writing and relateable characters. If people hated this film I could understand why, perhaps it's slightly sexist and misogynistic but I think it's actually quite realistic in how it portrays male characters. I've met many people like the two main characters here, especially Thomas Haden Church's character.

Rebecca (Ben Wheatley, 2020)

Disappointingly tame, and that's not just in comparison to Hitchcock's film (which I find decent, but not one of his best). Wheatley is a director who came to fame doing low-budget atmospheric horror films and here he has a big budget and gives us pretty shiny images. Just meh, but it kept my interest enough I guess.

The Gentlemen (Guy Ritchie, 2020)

Maybe my rating is a little harsh as it did manage to hold my interest with some decent twists and turns (and the actors do a decent job), but I find it laughable how deliberately offensive Guy Ritchie tries to be. The script tries so hard to attack PC culture and be offensive, it's just childish. It's the first film I've watched where I actually felt like the director was being intentionally anti-semitic too, "a pound of flesh" is what really topped it off on that front.

Down by Law (Jim Jarmusch, 1986)

Been loving Jim Jarmscuh recently and this was another delight. Starts off a little slowly but once we get to the prison its just non-stop laughs. I could watch these characters all day. The star is definitely Roberto Benigni (also great in Night on Earth) who is just so likable. One of those films that just had me smiling all the way through.

Le Havre (Aki Kaurismäki, 2011)

Really well told, simple but moving tale about an old man protecting a child immigrant on the run. I enjoyed the minimal approach and human moments that were able to shine, but there were also little decisions and certain scenes that piqued my interest in a greater way. I have the feeling Kaurismäki's sense of humour is something I'm going to enjoy, so want to check out some more films from him.

Da 5 Bloods (Spike Lee, 2020)

Enjoyed the first half which is more of a buddy film and explores the dynamics of a group of different people all with different life experiences and so on. Then, unfortunately, in the second half, we get some weird shoot-up film.

Never Rarely Sometimes Always (Eliza Hittman, 2020)

Lots to like about this independent film that works not just as an examination into abortion in the US (largely, bureaucracies that exist) but as a great work looking at the many problems women face. Not to sound sexist or patronising, but it's a film that when I watch I think that I'm glad in some ways that I'm not a female. Many of the scenes like some uncomfortable ones with male characters are things I've seen in real life. I liked the film's honesty, it doesn't shy away from showing harsh events. Wouldn't work without two great performances which are rightfully getting a lot of praise.

The Invisible Man (Leigh Whannell, 2020)

Really strong first half which builds up suspense well and creates some scary scenes, but then as things start to get explained and we head towards an ending it becomes a bit of a mess.

The Omen (Richard Donner, 1976)

Enjoyable classic horror film, watched for the first time. Not too much to say here, everything seemed well done but nothing particularly stood out or elevated the film to the next level.

Possessor (Brandon Cronenberg, 2020)

Lots of the same themes as his father with stuff like human flesh, sex, blood, so on... but it's impossible to watch this and not say the massive differences between them as filmmakers. David builds up suspense, lingers on the uncomfortable without being too explicit (although has some shocking scenes), where as Brandon just seems to go for shock. Disgusting image after disgusting image, it made me feel uncomfortable but not in a good way. One of the most disgusting films I've seen to be honest, trying a little too hard without the substance.

On The Rocks (Sofia Coppola, 2020)

Not very ambitious. Simple plot, standard performances, not a very unique story. Not much to see here. What confused me was, what was it trying to say about females and relationships? Maybe I am reading too much into it but to me, this film felt like it was gaslighting women that may have doubts about their relationships or may think their partners are cheating. Like it's telling them to relax and stop doubting their partners, yet the behaviour and issues between the couple in this film is definitely not 100% healthy. A little odd, felt like a feel-good middle-class film. That doesn't have to be a bad thing, but here it doesn't work for me.

Marathon Man (John Schlesinger, 1976)

Really well made, suspenseful thriller. I enjoyed the performances but I felt like the third act got a bit messy and dragged on a bit.

I felt like the film embraced how nonsensical the “science” was because of how awesome it all was. I can respect that as it dropped his notoriously tedious exposition drops.

I also didn’t have a problem with Branagh’s accent, especially in the realm of the Bond films it was so clearly evoking. Of course, I’m hardly an expert in Russian accents but compared to the American standard of Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV, or even in comparison to whatever the hell Branagh was doing in Murder on the Orient Express, it felt more than authentic enough for the film it was in.
Yeah, for the record I don't think Branagh's ham acting hurts the movie. He's clearly going for Bond villain vibes, so subtlety would not necessarily be an asset.

It's funny, I've read some reviews complaining that the movie is hard to follow or that it doesn't explain its gimmick well enough, and I'm like, ****, what do you people want?

High Life

I'm not the biggest fan of Juliet Binoche, but I respect her commitment to playing a doctor of jism who gets it on with a mechanical ****ing machine. Had the rest of the film been as horny or as goofy (hoofy?) I might have liked it more, but the whole thing is too steeped in the low key, distant default style of modern arthouse cinema that I find extremely off-putting.

Watching this the same day as The Lighthouse and Tenet has really brought into focus Robert Pattinson's versatility. This is probably my least favourite of the three roles, as art film mumbly man seems the least inspired of the performance styles, but he hits some nice tender notes in the scenes with his daughter.

High Life

I'm not the biggest fan of Juliet Binoche, but I respect her commitment to playing a doctor of jism who gets it on with a mechanical ****ing machine. Had the rest of the film been as horny or as goofy (hoofy?) I might have liked it more, but the whole thing is too steeped in the low key, distant default style of modern arthouse cinema that I find extremely off-putting.

Watching this the same day as The Lighthouse and Tenet has really brought into focus Robert Pattinson's versatility. This is probably my least favourite of the three roles, as art film mumbly man seems the least inspired of the performance styles, but he hits some nice tender notes in the scenes with his daughter.
I thought Pattinson (and the whole cast, honestly) were really great in this one. I felt that the film struggled with its tone and point of view, but I liked the imagery and the characters.

Have you seen Good Time?

I thought Pattinson (and the whole cast, honestly) were really great in this one. I felt that the film struggled with its tone and point of view, but I liked the imagery and the characters.

Have you seen Good Time?
Big fan of Good Time, that's actually what turned me on to him in the first place. He gives the best Mark Wahlberg performance that Wahlberg never gave in that one. Also fun to contrast with Uncut Gems in that they're both frenetic movies with fast-talking protagonists, but while Pattinson is the biggest ******* in his movie and makes things worse for everybody around him, Sandler is surrounded by bigger ******** than himself and mostly makes things worse for just himself.

Use your words (though I imagine we get the gist).
It's cool, I will respect the swear filter and accept that my curses have been lost to the wind.

I have no special love for the Sandman but I did greatly enjoy his work in Uncut Gems as well as his standup special on Netflix and did not find Hubie Halloween entirely unpleasant. 2020 has softened my opinion of his contributions to cinema.