A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Do you wanna party? Its party time!
I really like Cujo. Good killer animal movie.

Latest Movie Viewing: Wings (1927)
Latest Album Listened To: Honky Château, Elton John (1972)
Latest TV Show Viewed: Doctor Who

I'm no fan of King, but I have to say I'm baffled by the hatred of Cujo and Pet Sematary. Not a huge fan of either one, but they're both fine. Not worthy of one-star reviews, that's for sure. I don't understand you people sometimes!

Uh-oh, MKS is gonna flip his shit when he sees all this Cujo love in here...
I thought he was the biggest of all the Cujo haters, but wasn't certain.

Not that even my childhood memories are super rosy, it's sort of a nothing movie as I recall, but the vitriol towards it escapes me.

I'm no fan of King, but I have to say I'm baffled by the hatred of Cujo and Pet Sematary. Not a huge fan of either one, but they're both fine. Not worthy of one-star reviews, that's for sure. I don't understand you people sometimes!
I'm a Pet Semetary hater. It has some redeemable moments, but for the most part, yeeeesh.

Pretty much how I feel about both films. We've ALL seen worse, let's not kid ourselves.
Oh, definitely. But as I've well established over the years, there is little that I dislike as much as 'competent bad'. It's like the worst of both worlds. It's a dumb movie where I can't even find any love in its creation. It just....lays there on the screen.

Admittedly though, even though I don't think Pet Semetary is a good movie, what tips it into the hate category is the lead actor. Just the complete bafflement I feel watching it as to how this guy got this gig. Who is he? Why is he there? How can anyone be this much of black hole of charm?

what tips it into the hate category is the lead actor. Just the complete bafflement I feel watching it as to how this guy got this gig. Who is he? Why is he there? How can anyone be this much of black hole of charm?
Must've had the same agent as Stephen Lack.

Must've had the same agent as Stephen Lack.
While I'm not about to join the Stephen Lack Appreciation Society of Long Dead Stares, I've come to weirdly like his empty presence, at least in Scanners. He's a beyond dreadful actor, no doubt, one of the worst ever, but there is actually something almost unsettling about his almost complete lack of human emotion. It's like he was born inside a hyperbolic chamber and just floated around in it for the first twenty years of his life. And then, one day, David Cronenberg lifted the lid and found him there, slightly damp and staring wide eyed up at him. It's almost the ideal genesis story for any Cronenberg lead.

But, yeah, he's pretty bad.

While I'm not about to join the Stephen Lack Appreciation Society of Long Dead Stares, I've come to weirdly like his empty presence, at least in Scanners. He's a beyond dreadful actor, no doubt, one of the worst ever, but there is actually something almost unsettling about his almost complete lack of human emotion. It's like he was born inside a hyperbolic chamber and just floated around in it for the first twenty years of his life. And then, one day, David Cronenberg lifted the lid and found him there, slightly damp and staring wide eyed up at him. It's almost the ideal genesis story for any Cronenberg lead.

But, yeah, he's pretty bad.
Even his name seems artificial. Too perfect to be his given name.

I remember liking his cameo in Dead Ringers. Seems he is best in small doses.

Even his name seems artificial. Too perfect to be his given name.
I do like that it acknowledges his shortcomings. Humility is a virtue.

Is Stephen Lack a friend of David Cronenberg or something? I can't imagine he was cast legitimately considering his lack of acting talent (pardon the pun that I'm sure nobody has ever made).

But anyway, I can't imagine a better actor improving the movie since it's such an empty shell of a role.

Is Stephen Lack a friend of David Cronenberg or something? I can't imagine he was cast legitimately considering his lack of acting talent (pardon the pun that I'm sure nobody has ever made).

But anyway, I can't imagine a better actor improving the movie since it's such an empty shell of a role.
I have a strong feeling he was a friend. I believe he might even be in his early college films, which would tip a hat towards this being the case, but my memory of these is fuzzy. I'm sure others might remember better than I.

And, for the last comment, yes. Any actor capable of inflecting his voice at least a little might diminish the already important task of diminishing the personhood of this character.

From Wikipedia and IMDb, it looks like he's mostly an artist and only has a handful of acting credits.

Victim of The Night
Oh, definitely. But as I've well established over the years, there is little that I dislike as much as 'competent bad'. It's like the worst of both worlds.
Holy ****, I'm agreeing with crumbsroom again. What's going on here?!

Victim of The Night
While I'm not about to join the Stephen Lack Appreciation Society of Long Dead Stares, I've come to weirdly like his empty presence, at least in Scanners.
Whew, glad that's over.

I'm a Pet Semetary hater. It has some redeemable moments, but for the most part, yeeeesh.

I just saw the original yesterday. I thought it was decent. I see a lot of value in the concept, but it did play out like a typical 80's horror movie.

You're coming towards the light.

It's a peaceful beautiful place of infinite smug satisfaction.
I find the MKS brand of smug satisfaction to be far more rewarding and moderately more smug. I should know. I’m MKS.