Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bag of Popcorn: Check.
M&Ms: Check.
Friday the 13th in VHS... definitely check.

My experience... I left my own show beaming with "camp" (ba-dum-tshh) fun!!!
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0178.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	68370  
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Here is my backlog of films. Some have thoughts because I put them down at the time of watching. If anyone wants more thoughts or a discussion on any of the films feel free to reply!

The Homesman (Tommy Lee Jones, 2014)

Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alain Resnais, 1959)

David Bowie Is Dead (Mark Jenkin, 2018) [Short]

The Blood of a Poet (Jean Cocteau, 1932)

Eva (Joseph Losey, 1962)

The Testament of Orpehus (Jean Cocteau, 1960)

Night Moves (Kelly Reichardt, 20130

The Go-Between (Joseph Losey, 1971)

Le Corbeau (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1953)

Woman in Chains (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1968)

Quai des Orfèvres (Henri-Georges Clouzot, 1947)

La Bête humaine (Jean Renoir, 1938)

Beauty and the Beast (Jean Cocteau, René Clément, 1946)

Orpheus (Jean Cocteau, 1950)

Wings of Desire (Wim Wenders, 1987)

Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica, 1952)

Fitzcarraldo (Werner Herzog, 1982)

A Quiet Place (John Krasinski, 2018)

Some of the best horror movies are based on how groups can survive by adapting their lifestyles around the strengths/weaknesses of their enemies (Dawn of the Dead, The Thing) but here the plot’s absurdities and characters’ stupidity becomes unbearable. Instead of using the unique premise to craft creative memorable cinematic sequences we get unnecessary exposition, empty and confused characters, and cliché scenes.

The Cat Returns (Hiroyuki Morita, 2002)

Far less ambitious than its Ghibli counterparts, the film has a strange fantasy plot exploring the world of cats with the Studio’s usual strong feminine message. Whilst it’s enjoyable enough, it lacks much complexity or emotional power. The result is an often bizarre combination of odd characters and terrible puns, with a mixture of humour for both kids and adults. A very minimal plot is stretched to 75 minutes.

The Wind Rises (Hayao Miyazaki, 2013)

Often beautiful to look at as we have come to expect from the animation of Miyazaki with some superb sequences but the film feels uneven overall. Jiro’s motivation and craftsmanship are assumed but are reduced to being demonstrated through expository dialogue. The political implications and exploration of human attitudes in Japan pre-WWII are glanced over briefly in favour of romance in a way that feels uncertain.

Christine (John Carpenter, 1983)

Unlike many Eighties films reminiscing over school life where oddball characters would find their purpose and be celebrated, Christine focuses on the misery and horror found in an environment shackling our bullied teen with frustrating expectations. Like Carrie, revenge is forthcoming as our lead character becomes consumed by his desires, given life through the stunning colours and compositions created by Carpenter.

When Harry Met Sally (Rob Reiner, 1989)

Although often since emulated, there is nothing particularly spectacular or cinematic about this comedy which relies largely on its witty dialogue and the delivery of its comic moments through its actors - who do manage to conjure up some enjoyable chemistry. Everything is else is where you would expect it to be, without much surprise or innovation as I have too often found to be the case for Reiner post Spinal Tap.

Mr. Klein (Joseph Losey, 1976)

The always assured Alain Delon becomes increasingly frustrated and frightened as his life becomes upended by false allegations of being a Jew. His performance, paired with the methodical compositions of Joseph Losey that linger with horror, create a feeling of impending doom, a terrifying nightmare closing in. Has unease and fear ever been captured so well? A damning indictment of moral cowardice and indifference.

The Hunt (Thomas Vinterberg, 2012)

An exercise in cinematic suffering. Misery piled upon more misery. Once the film’s anti-mob message becomes clear (almost immediately) there is no attempt to explore characters or actions further, along with no effort to convey the story in any cinematic way. The images, captured mainly in the style of a handheld camera, are largely bland and uninventive, matching the pessimistic numbness that can be seen on Mikkelsen’s face.

Whisky Galore (Alexander Mackendrick, 1949)

This classic British Ealing comedy might have one of their simplest plots but certainly has a lot of warmth to make up for it. In basing the story on the tale of washed-up cases of whisky off the shore of a remote Scottish island, the film is able to focus on the community spirit on the people living there, taking a look at the spirit of the Scottish people who see themselves fighting against the English home guard.

Midnight Special (Jeff Nichols, 2016)

In attempting to progress further than his previous films, Nichols chooses the Sci-Fi genre with all its conventions as the setting for this film but struggles to handle the usual tropes in a way that feels innovative or exciting on a certain level. Despite this, what still manages to shine through is his human warmth, once again showcasing his strong ability to capture relationships between adults and children.

Ema (Pablo Larraín, 2019)

Ema is a frustratingly vacuous film, lacking cohesion and meaning beyond the desire to provoke us with its gratuitous content. It's barely cohesive and has numerous contrived scenes that serve no purpose other than being visually striking. It seems to be too often the case that vibrant visuals and shocking content will now pass for a good film, rewarded simply for being ambitious and breaking away from the norm.

Nona. If They Soak Me, I'll Burn Them (Camila José Donoso, 2019)

Combining sharp images and crisp sound design, the film starts off with a playful introduction of Nona, a mysterious pyromaniac who recounts different experiences of her anarchistic life. Switching between wide-screen shots and more grainy film footage, instead of stitching these together into a rich cinematic tapestry the result feels disjointed and repetitive, a single idea unnecessarily stretched to a full film.

Extraction (Sam Hargrave, 2020)

The latter sections of both halves of the film feature some impressive stunt work and editing to put together some entertaining fight scenes. Unfortunately the rest of the film’s story is lazy, large sections of the plot don’t make sense and the villains are violent caricatures. The effort to give Chris Hemsworth’s character some sort of backstory to give the plot some emotional reasoning seems an afterthought.

The Whalebone Box (Andrew Kötting, 2019)

Blending together various images and sounds, fiction and non-fiction, the past with the present, the film plays around with structure without being able to convincingly convey anything profound or meaningful. More interesting is the blend of unique characters that are presented throughout the film, captured in unusual ways. The Whalebone Box works best as an affectionate celebration of a ragtag band of artists.

A Russian Youth (Alexander Zolotukhin, 2019)

Once again we have a modern filmmaker attempting to make something fresh and interesting by experimenting with different stylistic choices, here the decision to shoot WWI scenes on grainy film and also to combine the narrative with a modern orchestra. In doing the former, Zolotukhin forgoes any effort to build a cinematic language of his own through mise-en-scene and the latter strangely undercuts the film's drama.

Ponyo (Hayao Miyazaki, 2008)

Whilst enjoyable the film lacks the compelling emotional power of Miyazaki's best work My Neighbour Totoro, or the well-constructed commentary of Princess Mononoke, landing somewhere in the middle with a simple tale of a young boy who finds a goldfish who has transformed into a young girl. The hand-drawn visuals help give the film charm but the latter stages of the film seem unsure how to conclude the film's ideas.

A.K. (Chris Marker, 1985)

Chris Marker studies the work of Akira Kurosawa from a distance, watching as we would as a person filled with admiration and in awe of the man's methods. He captures the epic scale of the film's production and looks at the recurring themes and images throughout Kurosawa's work. He is an observer, sharing his insights on what he witnesses without trying to weave his own narrative. An advert for auteur theory.

Burden of Dreams (Les Blank, 1982)

A fascinating look at the troubled production of Fitzcarraldo, a film which does itself feel heavily flawed. Herzog's desire to complete the film seems to be nothing more than his own personal desire to experience the madness of such a journey, something he pretty much admits. It's amazing to see such commitment to a vision, and such unconventional filmmaking techniques, it's no surprise Robards and Jagger soon left.

An Autumn Afternoon (Yasujirō Ozu, 1962)

Ozu's final film is almost a remake of Late Spring, again exploring themes of cultural transition and family. This familiarity with the content through his exploration of it has given him a level of mastery and this film feels like a culmination of all his ideas. Ryū is incredible in his gentle lead role, the subtle emotional narratives are handled perfectly, and there are plenty of hilarious moments too. Incredible.

Borrowed Pasture (John Ormond, 1960)

This forgotten BBC made-for-TV film follows the lives of two post-war Polish immigrants on a Welsh farm. Narrated by Richard Burton, the film is incredibly cinematic, using its editing to demonstrate the relationship between the men and their environment, focussing on their hands, their belongings, the processes involved in their of labour, their faith and family, often evocative of Ford in how their lives are shown.

Vertical Shapes in a Horizontal Landscape (Mark Jenkin, 2018) [Short]

Repulsion (Roman Polanski, 1965)

The Green Ray (Éric Rohmer, 1986)

Pauline at the Beach (Éric Rohmer, 1983)

Belle de Jour (Luis Buñuel, 1967)

Fire/Pozar (David Lynch, 2015) [Short]

Little Big Man (Arthur Penn, 1970)

Thunder Road (Jim Cummings, 2018)

Monos (Alejandro Landes, 2019)

Dear Marianne (Mark Jenkin, 2016) [Short]

Passion (Brian De Palma, 2012)

Suspicion (Alfred Hitchcock, 1941)

Carlito's Way (Brian De Palma, 1993)

Broken Flowers (Jim Jarmusch, 2005)

The Limits of Control (Jim Jarmusch, 2009)

Angel Face (Otto Preminger, 1953)

Hereditary (Ari Aster, 2018)

Venom (Ruben Fleischer, 2018)

Femme Fatale (Brian De Palma, 2002)

Miller's Crossing (Coen Brothers, 1990) [Rewatch]

Inside Llewyn Davis (Coen Brothers, 2013) [Rewatch]

Mission: Impossible (Brian De Palma, 1996)

The Mule (Clint Eastwood, 2018)

Mission: Impossible II (John Woo, 2000)

Have to write a comment here about how it's unbelievable that this was written by Robert Towne. Has to be one of the most sexist films that I have seen in the way the characters talk about/treat women.

Mission: Impossible III (J.J. Abrams, 2006)

Snake Eyes (Brian De Palma, 1998)

Nocturnal Animals (2016)

Extremely watchable, good performances except maybe Gyllenhaals (whom I like) which seemed a bit showy I thought. Don't really get the ending, or care that much...just seems like she's living with regrets and he's got on with his life.

The Bay of Silence (2020)

Interesting drama about a couples relationship that seems idyllic but is plagued by the wifes mental health issues. Even saying more would likely ruin a good/pivotal part of the film.

Solid enough.

I’ve been meaning to watch this for ages, and as it is, I found it rather disappointing. Part of it is the fact it’s just not that engrossing, but a bigger problem for me was that Chia Chi seemed to have absolutely no motivation to continue being a spy. I watched this with a friend, and neither of us could wrap our heads around why she keeps going. She’s not that patriotic to begin with and is very reluctant to join the rest of the group in their political activism, or whatever you’d call it. As the film progresses, she only seems less into it. From that point of view, the film didn’t work for me at all, but I concede it’s reasonably well-made. Much preferred Brokeback Mountain, though.

Durante la tormenta (2018, Oriol Paulo)

I'm a sucker for 'time warp' movies so I had to watch this one. Hmm, not bad. Interesting premise, nicely developed plot, and a pretty decent execution. Yes, it's one of those films where plot structure overrides atmosphere/cinematic language - not that it's bad per se but in this case personally I missed that auteurish element. While pleasantly accessible, it was more tame and mainstream than I would have preferred. The second half felt a bit lacking (too much romantic melodrama for my taste, with a mandatory gotcha twist at the end) but overall, worth a watch.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Here is my backlog of films. Some have thoughts because I put them down at the time of watching. If anyone wants more thoughts or a discussion on any of the films feel free to reply!

I saw most of those movies you listed, but I'll pick a few favorites.

Good movie for the 80s. Paris, Texas is even better, also Wenders, but my favorite might be "Alice in the Cities", and the sequels are pretty good... I think I gave this a 7.5/10

One of my favorites ever.. Influenced my favorite movie ever, "Harry and Tonto" (which probably influenced "The Straight Story")... My brother (who has barely seen any movies) actually watched this and reminded me of a hilarious part.. Umberto needs change, so he buys that glass, and nonchalantly throws it to the ground.

Good one, gave it the same rating, especially compared to the movie made by Polanski that same year.

Never saw this, but I loved "Joli Mai" - one of my favorite docs.

I liked this more than the movie.

My favorite Ozu, despite so many of his movies being so similar, even the same actors playing the same kind of characters.

I loved this movie very much.. I also liked Perry's second movie, "Ladybug, Ladybug", especially considering the Cuban Missile Crisis was happening as it was filmed, but I even loved that it was told from the perspective of children.

Zoolander (2001).

"What's wrong with being really really ridiculously good looking?"

One of my favourite comedies. Hilarious and bonkers, filled with classic scenes and stacked with celebrity cameos.

4/5 Stars.

Re-watch.

This film really does have a most unbelievable chemistry between the two leads. I also quite like A Bigger Splash, but I still think CMBYN is Guadagnino’s best. A shame the Suspiria remake was rubbish.

Unregistered User
The Wolf of Snow Hollow (2020)

I really liked Jim Cummings' first film 'Thunder Road'. I just love the way he mixes comedy and drama. It's quirky and a tiny bit different to your straight up dramedy. This film isn't a horror film. It's a drama about families. The beast in the film IS Jim Cumming's character. He needs to move on from his demons, let his daughter go, recover from his addictions etc. Be a human again. The way it unfolds is very good.

Horror fans will hate it. That's not Cummings' fault.

Thunder Road was a real mixed bag for me but will still give this one a chance.

Unregistered User

Re-watch.

This film really does have a most unbelievable chemistry between the two leads. I also quite like A Bigger Splash, but I still think CMBYN is Guadagnino’s best. A shame the Suspiria remake was rubbish.

This has to be the film I least expected to love ever. Avoided it for so long and ended up rating it
when I did watch it. A masterpiece.

I saw most of those movies you listed, but I'll pick a few favorites.

Good movie for the 80s. Paris, Texas is even better, also Wenders, but my favorite might be "Alice in the Cities", and the sequels are pretty good... I think I gave this a 7.5/10
Yeah I agree with you, in that I prefer Paris, Texas. I haven't seen Alice in the Cities yet although it looks good. I really enjoyed The American Friend which is a fun movie with lots of great actors in it.

One of my favorites ever.. Influenced my favorite movie ever, "Harry and Tonto" (which probably influenced "The Straight Story")... My brother (who has barely seen any movies) actually watched this and reminded me of a hilarious part.. Umberto needs change, so he buys that glass, and nonchalantly throws it to the ground.
Yeah they all seem similar to each other, it's amazing the emotions De Sica can evoke with the simplest of plots. I need to watch more Italian films.

Good one, gave it the same rating, especially compared to the movie made by Polanski that same year.
Glad to see another fan. As you can see I watched a load of Losey movies and really enjoyed them all. I think this is his best I have seen. I love these times of films. Have you seen his remake of M? I've heard that it's actually really good so want to see that next.

Never saw this, but I loved "Joli Mai" - one of my favorite docs.

I liked this more than the movie.
Two great docs, I agree with you about Burden of Dreams being better than the film, which to me succeeds more as an idea but the actual execution doesn't really feel that great or compelling, I find it lacks its own "language" or identity, and it's more just a collection of shots from them actually carrying out the events in the film.

My favorite Ozu, despite so many of his movies being so similar, even the same actors playing the same kind of characters.
I've only seen three Ozu films, each one I've loved. I think this is my favourite so far too, although I thought that after Late Spring. Can't wait to get to the rest.

Unregistered User

Bliss (2019)

Obvious comparisons to Gaspar Noe were a warm welcome here. The film kicks off with a warning about flashing imagery and its certainly well warranted. This is a loud, psychedelic and violent film that no doubt is best watched both under the influence and in the dark. I only did one unfortunately but it didn't stop me loving it. This is one to avoid if not a fan of violence/gore/drug/sex/hallucinogenics/metal.

This has to be the film I least expected to love ever. Avoided it for so long and ended up rating it
when I did watch it. A masterpiece.
Exactly, same here. I didn’t like Carol at all, or most other films one could judge to be similar without seeing CMBYN, but this definitely is a masterpiece.

The Lie (2018)

Asking the question, how far will parents go to cover up the actions of their offspring to protect them from the big bad consequences. Felt with a punchier direction this could have been better but was just fine as it was.

Well-acted, but excruciatingly slow. The Chinese sure do take their time telling a story.

Dawn of the Dead (1978) -

Though Snyder's remake is quite good, it doesn't capture the strengths of this film with the same skill and precision. For one, the consumerism angle is greatly reduced in Snyder's film as, while both films feature zombies and a shopping mall, Romero's film takes this theme a handful of iterations further by giving the zombies fragments of their prior personalities, displaying them as mindless drones stuck in a never ending loop of interacting with the material goods in the mall as the days go by, the same thing the human survivors resort to in order to pass their time. While I liked the ensemble cast in Snyder's remake, they can't hold a candle to the four main characters in this film. Romero displays a great deal of sympathy for them as they're displayed as flawed characters who occasionally make mistakes for various reasons, but are still capable of tenderness and nobility. This made me care about their fates on a much deeper level than those in Snyder's remake. Other things I liked about this film included its depiction of an apocalypse in motion which extended to the occasional TV broadcasts and the highlight of a frenetically paced apartment raid in the opening which gave a disturbing portrait of society breaking down, Ken Foree's empathetic, layered performance, and the strong melancholy air which persists throughout this film. Overall, this is one of the best zombie films I've seen. Snyder's remake, by comparison, is a good way to spend the afternoon and maybe a little more.