Coronavirus

Tools    

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
You know everything is gonna get opened back up. We are gonna be given these half-ass orders, wear a mask, six-feet, fend for yourself.

This is gonna fall on all of us, individually, to figure out the best way to protect ourselves. If anything good could have come from this, it would have been a trial run for the next worse thing we have to deal with.

I plug along. Dot my i's and yey I still feel like we are living in Idiocracy.

This may be a simplistic question, but why don't the Hindus and Christians in Pakistan move to India? It's obvious they cannot be treated fairly under an Islamic system and will ultimately be targets for terrorism (as is true in Muslim-dominant countries in the Mid-East as well). So why not just leave and let Pakistan be a complete Muslim nation?
Let's keep the discussion limited to coronavirus after I have answered this ok .

Yeah indian PM modi is making a law which allows Christian Hindu Buddhist refugees to come to India from Pakistan Bangladesh and Afghanistan-- the three Muslim countries in the region. Any non Muslim from these three countries will be allowed to settle in India citing religious persecution. The law is being opposed by Indian muslims because they are not allowed to settle in India from these countries. That's why we had Delhi riots just before coronavirus. Do they have any logic ? Why should muslims settle in India from Muslim majority countries? They are majority in those countries after all

This Pakistani writer ( naila inayat ) tells us that Pakistan is most chilled out in response to coronavirus. Doesn't bother them at all.......

https://theprint.in/opinion/letter-f...avirus/383458/

I'm a little worried both Italy and Spain might be a tad early in relaxing restrictions, really hope I'm just being ultra-cautious and they're right in their analysis and it works out well for them though. Shame Gatsby's no longer here to tell us exactly how South Korea managed to contain it so well but Australia looks to be handling it well enough as well - any Aussies on here want to share some info on what type of measures they took?

Sad to look this morning and see Wyoming suffered their first Covid-19 related death yesterday - the fact they hadn't up 'til then was one of my small crumbs of comfort in all this

Greenland are still 'green' though and the Faeroe Islanders are proving a hardy bunch and recovering remarkably well thus far

This may be a simplistic question, but why don't the Hindus and Christians in Pakistan move to India? It's obvious they cannot be treated fairly under an Islamic system and will ultimately be targets for terrorism (as is true in Muslim-dominant countries in the Mid-East as well). So why not just leave and let Pakistan be a complete Muslim nation?

I wont derail this thread, I will keep this short.

Several do. Every year Hindus, Sikhs and Christians come here in thousands. Quite a few get citizenship eventually. This is due to the open discrimination in Pakistan. Large portion of it is kidnapping and raping of Hindu, Sikh and Christian girls. As young as 11. And Pakistan's law supports that.

Recently a 11 year old Christian girl was kidnapped, raped and married off to an older Muslim man. Court ruled her marriage valid, because she had her first period.

So, anyways, you might have seen a tsunami of articles in NYT, WaPo, etc. against an anti-Muslim law in India.

In reality, it was a law that allowed persecuted non-Muslims from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan quicker citizenship in India. It was humanitarian law, similar to the Lautenberg Agreement which helped Jews in USA. And most importantly, our new law DIDN'T STOP Muslims from seeking citizenship either. And yet, there was a huge outcry against it. Simply because persecuted Non-Muslims were given a preference.

Anyways, there is a Pakistani journalist named Naila Inayat who regularly highlights cases of persecution or abduction of minor non-Muslim girls in Pakistan.
This latest bit of discrimination, non-Muslims not been given food, is also true.

Standing here in a Costco warehouse, none of the employees wearing masks or gloves, touching everything that drivers from all over are touching, then bringing product to the floor.

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/pak..._content=om-bm

Pakistanis flout social distancing rules blindly trusting in God .

The attitude is very simple I guess---God is taking away those who deserve to die . Life and death is not in human hands anyway.

Standing here in a Costco warehouse, none of the employees wearing masks or gloves, touching everything that drivers from all over are touching, then bringing product to the floor.
Madness

Nuts! and so is this...
COVID-19 claims lives of 30 grocery store workers, thousands more may have it, union says

Grocery store workers are on the frontlines of the spreading coronavirus epidemic, and thousands have died or taken off work because they've been exposed to the respiratory illness in the U.S., according to a new report.
Ever since this pandemic started I thought it was crazy that grocery workers who come in contact with 100s of people each day, weren't wearing mask or gloves. It's like all these business are closed down and everyone funnels into the grocery stores to stockpile food...And that makes a perfect breeding ground for the virus.

Then there's this news article today:

South Dakota’s governor resisted ordering people to stay home. Now it has one of the nation’s largest coronavirus hot spots.
...South Dakota’s top elected leader stood firm: There would be no statewide order to stay home. Such edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi L. Noem said disparagingly, reflected a “herd mentality.”

It was up to individuals — not government — to decide whether “to exercise their right to work, to worship and to play. Or to even stay at home.”
And besides, the first-term Republican told reporters at a briefing this month, “South Dakota is not New York City.”
If we could just keep the BS politics out of decisions regarding coronavirus and apply logic instead of dogma, we might get through this pandemic easier. It's really maddening to see the stupidity and outright obstinacy that has occurred at all levels of decision making.

Headline's a bit misleading and silly woman, taking all those precautions and then not using gloves to take in shopping (or even better getting her husband to take it in, unpack it and sterilise it where necessary/possible), but hope she pulls through.

If we could just keep the BS politics out of decisions regarding coronavirus and apply logic instead of dogma, we might get through this pandemic easier. It's really maddening to see the stupidity and outright obstinacy that has occurred at all levels of decision making.
I just hope memories are good when it comes to anyone that's put politics before people when seeking re-election, no matter who or where they may be.

You ready? You look ready.
Went to the supermarket yesterday to get dog food, and they've installed Plexiglas at the checkout counters now. Same for the local gas station. Glad to see it getting done, but you totally know someone's going to perk their head around that divider because they can't hear or they are getting testy.

Is it too late to say we need more robots?
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

New York stuff definitely not a blip:

I'll stop sharing this stuff soon simply because it needs no reinforcement. New York has seen its peak, at least initially. Sounds like there were some fairly horrific stories here and there but not on the scale we'd feared, at least.

Just saw that our $2400 stimulus was deposited today. That pays 1 month mortgage and leaves us $120.00. We're fine because we're working but for people who aren't, it doesn't go a long way.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again

That's already my second stop today with signs like that. Luckily I have one with me.

It's wild that apparently there are enough people pulling their shirts over their heads to need that statement to be made.

I keep seeing some stores with "No mask, No entry" posted on their doors. This shouldn't be a problem because there are ways to make your own mask. Just keep save everyone and stay indoors if there's no important reason to go out.