A Japanese Village (Nippon-koku Furuyashiki-mura) (1982) by Shinsuke Ogawa

+

New Wave (Nouvelle vague) (1990) by Jean-Luc Godard

Our Hospitality (1923) by Buster Keaton and John G. Blystone

The Docks of New York (1928) by Josef von Sternberg

+

My thoughts about the films can be checked out in my review thread

Dead Man's Line (2018)

Excellent documentary on a 1977 kidnapping, a story I knew nothing about. It's tense and the kidnapper has quite the personality. What I found so fascinating to watch was all of the police and media so close to them yet so helpless because of how the shotgun was rigged with wire. A very good watch for crime doc fans.

What do you recommend next from him?
Old: After Life

Newer: I wish

I don't think I've seen a bad film from him. His ability to convey modern family dynamics is extraordinary. Like Ozu reincarnated.

Kvinden i buret (2013)
The Keeper of Lost Causes

A Danish Nordic Noir. I watched the later film from this series a while back (A Conspiracy of Faith) and now the earlier films are also on Netflix. It's not as good as that newer one but still quite solid. Little far fetched story (though I liked the flashback scenes which were very giallo-like) and the ending is far too similar to that other film (a fault of the newer film sure but I saw them in wrong order). Nothing groundbreaking but worth a watch for fans of Nordic Noir.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

The Grief of Others (Patrick Wang, 2015)
6/10
Jungle Queen (Lewis D. Collins & Ray Taylor, 1945)
5/10
The Cage (Adrian Sitaru, 2010)
- 6.5/10
Ad Astra (James Gray, 2019)
+ 6/10

Astronaut Brad Pitt has several adventures looking for his dad (Tommy Lee Jones) in deep space.
David Crosby: Remember My Name (A.J. Eaton, 2019)
6.5/10
Solver (Xandy Smith, 2017)
5.5/10
Nocturne (Stephen Shimek, 2016)
5/10
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Jeremiah Chechik, 1989)
6.5/10

Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) has a way with words.
Volcano (Roman Bondarchuk, 2018)
6/10
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (Mel Stuart, 1971)
6.5/10
Los tres mosqueteros (Miguel M. Delgado, 1942)
6/10
Abominable (Jill Culton & Todd Wilderman, 2019)
+ 6.5/10

Three Beijing youth help a yeti return home.
The Holly and the Ivy (George More O'Ferrall 1952)
6/10
Clickbait (Sophia Cacciola & Michael J. Epstein, 2019)
5/10
Something Different (Vera Chytilová, 1963)
5.5/10
It Happened on Fifth Avenue (Roy Del Ruth, 1947)
.6.5/10

Low-budget Christmas commentary on consumerism is surprisingly all-inclusive and heartwarming.0
Jessie (Aswani Kumar V., 2019)
5.5/10
Jackson (CJ Goodwyn, 2019)
5/10
Trivisa (Jevons Au, Frank Hui & Vicky Wong, 2016)
6/10
Doctor Sleep (Mike Flanagan, 2009)
6.5/10

What did you expect from Danny Torrance?

Joăo Maia, 2019

A biography of one of my favorite singers of all time, António Variaçơes. The acting by Sérgio Praia is superb, I didn't though it could be possibly made, such a difficult task to impersonate such a strange, original creature, so much identity this cat had. In 1970-1980 people said Portugal was 20 years behind everybody else, especially mentally, having someone with such deep, worldwide lyrics is something even now hard to imagine, I sometimes try to contemplate how could such a being come out of a immensely old fashioned, christian rooted traditional environment, is mind blowing, I get chicken skin just from trying to imagine. I was planning on not watching the film because I thought they would ruin the image of someone I'm so passionate about, glad I did.

My face without borders
My endless road
Colors do not know flag
Flag is white for you
I don't know what a nation is
I come from no man's land
And my language has no country
My name is someone
And I'm going from here to the place beyond
My body is rootless trunk

poorly translated from Minha cara sem fronteiras

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I watched The Irishman recently. At first, I appreciated it as commendable and thoughtful through and through, but I've found that since I've watched it, I've begun developing a deeper affection for it. Great film.

Unregistered User
Old: After Life

Newer: I wish

I don't think I've seen a bad film from him. His ability to convey modern family dynamics is extraordinary. Like Ozu reincarnated.

I have The Third Murder ready and waiting to go. For convenience, I might go for it.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I also re-watched Krampus and The Night Before because I wanted some "holiday" themed viewings for my blog-site. I think they're both charming and enjoyable, but I wouldn't call them great films. Great Christmas-themed films, maybe.

Custer's Last Stand (Elmer Clifton, 1936)

Eventually gets to Little Big Horn ... with the emphasis on the 'Little'

Without giving any specifics away this abridged (but still feature-length version) of the low-budget serial might not be great but is still good enough to push Blazing Stewardesses down a notch on my list

QUEEN & SLIM
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

High and Low (1963)

Re watched this two days ago actually but forgot to "paste it" here. Grew on me, a masterpiece indeed: Kurosawa was a genius, his style transcends cultural barriers while simultaneously being highly culturally representative. 9.5/10

Ready or Not (2019)

Seeing this trailer in the theater months ago made this look exceptionally dumb, but the reviews and word of mouth has been positive.

It turned out better than I originally expected, yet I still don't understand all the praise some people are giving it. It's a fun little movie that just tries to stand on its own. Reminds me of Happy Death Day a bit, but I enjoyed that one more.

Shoplifters (2018)

A toss-up between this and Parasite for best film I've seen all year. Stunning.

One of my favourite Kore-edas. The end absolutely broke me.
I just happened to get Maborosi on an impulse a couple years ago when a video store was going out of business. Really beautiful film. I had no idea who Hirokazu Koreeda was, but with all this praise he's looking like someone I'll have to really pay attention to.

Might even be a good candidate for the 10 films by the same director category in the 2020 challenge.