The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

Considering I've been wrong three days in a row now, why not predict again?
Metropolis
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Battleship Potemkin
Nosferatu
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
The General
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
The Gold Rush
Man With a Movie Camera
The Kid
Sherlock, Jr.
Napolean

Which means Safety Last I don't think will make it... either that or Napolean.
Good guesses...I'll guess that Napoleon won't make it, but Safety Last will.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Had Faust at #19 wasn't keen on watching the other

Faust

Faust: I call thee for help, O Spirit of Darkness: Show thyself! Come forth, evil demon! I call to thee as thou callest thyself, by thy unholy name: MEMPHISTO, appear!

PERSONAL SOUNDTRACK: like previously with Pandora's Box, I opted out of the soundtrack provided and did some old school Dio with Rainbow's Rising and then Long Live Rock albums, followed by Judas Priest's Sin After Sin album from 1977.
And, as previously, it actually synced up rather nicely with this film.

This was a blind grab for me and I rather enjoyed the imagery through the first two-thirds of the film. The German Impressionism and creativity (for its time) was done very well. Setting the mood of The Devil wagering against a Saint for dominion over the Earth and using one good man's soul as stakes.

While at times a bit cartoonish, I did enjoy Mephisto's smirking ways and how he'd manipulate the results of Faust's wishes to create doom. Not sure why, but that smirk reminded me of Rip Torn, at times.

The love hookup did cause the movie to lag a bit,
WARNING: " though once the" spoilers below
girl's brother is murdered and she's left with her baby and what becomes of them, it definitely picked up a bit.

Speaking of, considering that the brother jokes with her about "so, any lovers?" and then condemns her with his dying breath - was such a serious d!ck move.
The same goes for how everyone she went to, trying to save her child, ignored her and THEN, when the child dies from exposure, the guards show up and call her a murderer.
How f@ckin TYPICAL was that?!

Still, very happy I got this as a blind grab and enjoyed seeing it.

MY LIST: Seen 18 out of 38 (47.37%)
5) 3 Bad Men (#30)
6) 7th Heaven (#32)
7) The Phantom of the Opera (#19)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
12) Pandora's Box (#17)
13) It (#27)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
15) The Lodger (#20)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
18) HE Who Gets Slapped (#23)
19) Faust (#14)
22) Underworld (#47)
24) The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

Good guesses...I'll guess that Napoleon won't make it, but Safety Last will.
Yeah, I suppose a five-hour biopic wouldn't have exactly been at the top of many people's watch lists (including mine ).

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Yeah, I suppose a five-hour biopic wouldn't have exactly been at the top of many people's watch lists (including mine ).
That's what deterred me. Though I AM pretty curious about it. Could treat it like a short series and watch an hour a day or something along that line.

A double for me today with both making my ballot. Man With A Movie Camera is quite mesmerising and no still photos will ever really do it justice - it was my #10. Delighted to see my #18 Safety Last! make the list and almost crack the Top 10 as Lloyd is all too often in the shadow of Keaton and Chaplin but despite his on-screen character being a little less personable than those two he still made some fine works, of which this is one of his best.

Seen: 40/40
My list:
3. Greed (Erich von Stroheim, 1924) [#15]
7. Intolerance - Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages (D.W. Griffith, 1916) [#21]
10. Chelovek s kino-apparatum [Man With A Movie Camera] (Dziga Vertov, 1929) [#12]
15. Faust: Eine deutsche Volkssage [Faust] (F.W. Murnau, 1926) [#14]
17. Körkarlen [The Phantom Carriage] (Victor Sjöström, 1921) [#18]
18. Safety Last! (Fred C. Newmeyer & Sam Taylor, 1923) [#11]
19. Häxan (Benjamin Christensen, 1922) [#25]
20. Broken Blossoms (D.W. Griffith, 1919) [#34]
25. Helen Of Four Gates (Cecil M. Hepworth, 1920) [1-ptr]

Man, this is really annoying. For some reason I was thinking Man with a Movie Camera was 1930, even though I would have known I hadn't included it on my 30s list if I'd thought about it more. I had it at #1 on my documentary list, so, yeah, I like it a lot. I also forgot about some of those Buster Keaton movies too that I would have included if I'd put more thought into this. I did, however, have Safety Last! on my list.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Movie Camera is my #11 - a precursor of poetic cinema verite and Koyaanisqatsi. Safety Last! my #5. It's packed with thrills, stunts, laughs and beautiful filmmaking.

Seen 40/40
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
5. Safety Last!
6. The Adventures of Prince Achmed
9. Greed
10. 7th Heaven
11. Man With a Movie Camera
15. The Last Command
16. Wings
19. The Circus
25. The Wind

Seen neither, neither made my list.
Seen: 15/40

My List:
6. Pandora's Box (#18)
7. Un Chien Andalou (#13)
8. It (#27)
13. 3 Bad Men (#30)
14. The Adventures of Prince Achmed (#26)
15. Faust (#15)
19. He Who Gets Slapped (#23)
20. A Trip to the Moon (#15)
22. 7th Heaven (#32)
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)
25. The Unknown (#28)[/quote]

Time to guess the order of the top ten:
1. Metropolis
2. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari
3. Nosferatu
4. Battleship Potemkin
5. The Passion of Joan of Arc
6. The General
7. The Gold Rush
8. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
9. The Kid
10. Sherlock, Jr.

Get those Top Ten predictions in folks - @Yoda has authorised me to give a *free month's subscription to MovieForums as a prize to whoever gets the most right.

* free month's subscription entitles the winner to normal usage of the site, including (but not limited to) the forums, quizzes and lists sections. Normal site rules regarding behaviour apply, infringements may result in the prize being rescinded.

I didn't get around to watching Safety Last. It looks fun and I did see it on TV when I was a kid at least parts of it.

I had at #23 Man With a Movie Camera, some cutting edge film making that one is.

If someone nails the 10, in order, maybe I can find a way to send them a little something.
Can I play as well????

Man With a Movie Camera was my No.2, a brilliantly edited and shot look at Soviet life. Also inspired films like Koyaanisqatsi.
Safety Last was my number seven, first half was ok but the climb was very entertaining.

1. (Will Make it)
2. (Man With a Movie Camera
3. (Will Make it)
4. (Will Make it)
5. Prince Achmed
6. Un Chien Andalou
7. Safety Last!
8. (Might Make it)
9. (Will Make it)
10. (Might Make it)
11. (Nope)
12. (Nope)
13. (Nope)
14. (Nope)
15. The Great Train Robbery
16. A Trip to the Moon
17. (Doubt it)
18. (Nope)
19. (Will Make it)
20. (Nope)
21. (Nope)
22. (Doubt it)
23. (Nope)

If you want to see Man With a Movie Camera, I can't recommend enough the version with Michael Nyman's score, so good!

Sure, but if you win I'm sending you something else.
Kewl, I can always throw it away if necessary

My prediction:

10. Toy Story
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring
8. Goodfellas
7. The Shining
6. The Godfather
5. 2001: A Space Odyssey
4. 12 Angry Men
3. Casablanca
2. The Wizard Of Oz
1. The Titfield Thunderbolt