18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Split

I don't usually do drugs so I can't see how could I enjoy this or even understand it. It took me 2 days to complete, which is insane considering it's less than 1 hour and a half.
Maybe it's supposed to induce the sence of being drugged or it just makes sense if you are actually on drugs, but everything from the editing and soundtrack to the acting just annoys me.
Sorry Joel, it might have been the worst watch I ever had to go through on a HoF! :/

Abandon Ship!...I can understand why Citizen Rules nominated this film, the first act is great and the film has enough plot points that you can maintain a degree of enjoyment from it. Those that died are shown to be heroic those that live...not so much.
Wow, if that's what you think then you totally don't know why I nominated Abandon Ship...It's not the first act that I really love, and it's not because those who 'died are shown to be heroic those that live...not so much'. In fact the film doesn't make those who are jettisoned into the water into 'brave heroes', nor are the survivors all cowards, (at least during the ordeal at sea.) Instead they are all very human...and in the end decide to turn their back's on the Captain, so they can bury the guilt they feel for their part in choosing who lives and who died. They choose to believe a falsehood so to save their own necks, which is also very human...

The reason I nominated Abandon Ship: is for the one unique emotion that comes out of putting one's self into the Captain's shoes and dealing with one helluva a hard decision: Would the viewer throw people overboard to a certain death so as to save an overloaded ship? Would they have the courage to make such a decision? If so would you send the sick and weak over board first? And what would it be like to be in that situation with that huge burden of command weighing on you...could you do it? Was the Captain's decision moral and those who objected cowards as the rich lady suggested?...And the film delivers that virtual emotional experience, even though it had a lower budget and had some script problems, but what it offers is a unique journey into a situation that luckily we'll most likely never encounter.

That's why I nominated it. And that's why I nominated Passengers in the 14th HoF.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I like Passengers, didn't care for Abandon Ship

My list is in and count me in for the 19th. I hate to say it but the 18th was one of the weaker HOFs in recent memory

...My list is in and count me in for the 19th. I hate to say it but the 18th was one of the weaker HOFs in recent memory
I'm joining the 19th HoF, of course and I'm bringing my 'A game' this time around. It's called a Hall of Fame for a reason...and I've done little known movies before, this time it's for real!

Oh, we need a host, @MijaFrost would be cool! She's been a good HoF member but has never hosted. No pressure on her if she doesn't want to do it. I want to wait and host the 20th, as I've hosted the 5th, 10th and 15th HoFs in the past.

I like Passengers, didn't care for Abandon Ship

My list is in and count me in for the 19th. I hate to say it but the 18th was one of the weaker HOFs in recent memory
And then I came back for one of the weaker ones!?!? Dammit.

I’ll skip the 19th. But might come back for the big 20. I’m so busy right now and also doing the director’s dissection with Raul and Sean (which I’m slacking on ) and I rarely do two HoFs in a row (don’t think I ever have). I got so much on my mind right now; moving, education etc. so I better wait out. If I had all the time in the world I would gladly join the 19th!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I've done a few of the secondary HoFs and haven't gotten a Numbered Main HoF under my belt so I would be willing to, should Mija decide not to or no one else cares to. . .

The King of Comedy

Much like Scorcese's After Hours, I had a very rough time the first time I saw it, and while the second viewing was a little better for After Hours, to say the same for KoC is a bit of stretch.
Which is a crying shame since I am a fanboy of Scorcese and truly do love and enjoy a very large portion of his films and I do respect his work, talent, and ability to pull something like this off. The same goes for DeNiro who truly nails the part of the delusional wannabe that takes the everyday fantasizing we all do and decides to kidnap his idol to get a spot on his show.
In fact, he did such an excellent job I had, and contained, a very high degree of disgust and distaste for the character and could only see the dangers of a - sadly - not all that unusual type of fan that has no idea the harm they cause simply because they're a fan and thereby, they think they have a right to commit such acts as we see by both DeNiro and Sandra Berhhart. Whom also does her psycho that she does so very well. Bouncing from lucid to insane like a prima ballerina.

This praise of the actors can go on and on, they all did their roles very, very well.
Across the board, this a very good film and deserves the praise it gets.

I think it is the character of Rupert Pupkin that just irritates me so much, that, well, I can't say I am unable to get past it to appreciate the film and all that makes it a solid film. I do see it, I do appreciate it. I just hate Pupkin, he's a terrible lounge act of a comedian and I have not the patience, and therefore, the desire to endure him for the sake of the film.

Which is on me.

A good film by a great Director with a solid and strong cast.
But one I just do not like or see myself changing that opinion or wanting future viewings to change it.
So, my deepest apologies to Yam, who's movies I normally do enjoy.

Weird is relative.
I'm joining the 19th HoF, of course and I'm bringing my 'A game' this time around. It's called a Hall of Fame for a reason...and I've done little known movies before, this time it's for real!

Oh, we need a host, @MijaFrost would be cool! She's been a good HoF member but has never hosted. No pressure on her if she doesn't want to do it. I want to wait and host the 20th, as I've hosted the 5th, 10th and 15th HoFs in the past.
Thanks so much for suggesting me, I really appreciate the thought.

If I had more time I'd be down, but I'm currently swamped with work and other ongoing projects.

So if @edarsenal wants to host this one, you should go for it.

Thanks so much for suggesting me, I really appreciate the thought.

If I had more time I'd be down, but I'm currently swamped with work and other ongoing projects.

So if @edarsenal wants to host this one, you should go for it.
Pity, I would have loved to see you host, I'm sure you'd be wonderful at it.
And thank you, if no one else wants, I most likely will.

Wow, if that's what you think then you totally don't know why I nominated Abandon Ship...It's not the first act that I really love, and it's not because those who 'died are shown to be heroic those that live...not so much'. In fact the film doesn't make those who are jettisoned into the water into 'brave heroes', nor are the survivors all cowards, (at least during the ordeal at sea.) Instead they are all very human...and in the end decide to turn their back's on the Captain, so they can bury the guilt they feel for their part in choosing who lives and who died. They choose to believe a falsehood so to save their own necks, which is also very human...

The reason I nominated Abandon Ship: is for the one unique emotion that comes out of putting one's self into the Captain's shoes and dealing with one helluva a hard decision: Would the viewer throw people overboard to a certain death so as to save an overloaded ship? Would they have the courage to make such a decision? If so would you send the sick and weak over board first? And what would it be like to be in that situation with that huge burden of command weighing on you...could you do it? Was the Captain's decision moral and those who objected cowards as the rich lady suggested?...And the film delivers that virtual emotional experience, even though it had a lower budget and had some script problems, but what it offers is a unique journey into a situation that luckily we'll most likely never encounter.

That's why I nominated it. And that's why I nominated Passengers in the 14th HoF.
dog·ma-a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.
All the shipsmen in a position of authority were given heroic scenes

You had the Captain, XO (Powers), Nurse, Deck Officer (Kelly) and junior XO. I believe they all tried to sacrifice themselves at one point or the other. Because the individuals in authority were not given the human frailty elements others would have for me that was a debit on the film.

All the shipsmen in a position of authority were given heroic scenes

You had the Captain, XO (Powers), Nurse, Deck Officer (Kelly) and junior XO. I believe they all tried to sacrifice themselves at one point or the other. Because the individuals in authority were not given the human frailty elements others would have for me that was a debit on the film.
I disagree, I think most of the people crew or non crew acted within reason for the movie's situation...and the crew by training are suppose to be able to handle tough situations by following protocol.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Little Stranger

Not quite sure what to think of this. It managed to keep me interested but not fully invested.
I liked that the supernatural elements were kept at a minimum and left space to other possible explanations. I prefer to think that Faraday murdered all these people because they all were obstacles to him keeping that house which he was obsessed about. Don't know how he would have done it, maybe through the power of suggestion, at least with the first 2, but it's a far more interesting explanation than ghosts.
The cinematography is quite nice, dark and dusty, and the pacing is appropriate to what it is trying to portray.

+

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

This is one of the few oscar-baits I actually like! Don't really know why cause I agree with pretty much everyone here talking it down but to me it just is powerfully emotive, when it really shouldn't be cause it gathers all the elements I usually hate on a Hollywood flick.
I was hoping someone else would feel the same but I admit this is probably the worst film I ever nominated on a HoF even if a couple got even more backlash.

The Little Stranger

Not quite sure what to think of this. It managed to keep me interested but not fully invested.
I liked that the supernatural elements were kept at a minimum and left space to other possible explanations. I prefer to think that Faraday murdered all these people because they all were obstacles to him keeping that house which he was obsessed about. Don't know how he would have done it, maybe through the power of suggestion, at least with the first 2, but it's a far more interesting explanation than ghosts.
The cinematography is quite nice, dark and dusty, and the pacing is appropriate to what it is trying to portray.

+

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

This is one of the few oscar-baits I actually like! Don't really know why cause I agree with pretty much everyone here talking it down but to me it just is powerfully emotive, when it really shouldn't be cause it gathers all the elements I usually hate on a Hollywood flick.
I was hoping someone else would feel the same but I admit this is probably the worst film I ever nominated on a HoF even if a couple got even more backlash.

neiba's on a roll!

I love what you have to say about both of these. I felt pretty much the same about Little Stranger too.

And while I did dislike your nomination, I can relate to the thing you say about sometimes just connecting with sentimental and perhaps award-baity movies, because they simply speak to you and you accept the manipulation and freedom it sometimes takes to reach that level of emotion. Now, I haven't seen the mentioned film in a long time, but Seven Pounds with Will Smith was at least once such movie for me. It was torn apart by critics but I liked the way it built its story even if it pulled on the heartstrings like it was a god damn tug of war... I liked what Ebert said about it in his positive review: "some people don't like to be emotionally manipulated. I do, when it's done well..."

Some times it just works for you and doesn't for others.

The Florida Project (2017)

How Sean Baker looks at this motel situated so close to Walt Disney World is fascinating. The kind of rut that people find themselves is prevalent worldwide but there's an American feel to this that I liked. The colour scheme gives it a nice concrete wonderland tone. There's some hamming going on which is annoying but sadly I've seen kids and adults that act out much worse.

The issue is that it doesn't say anything all that revelatory to me. Which is disappointing because this kind of film would normally be right up my alley (And it was hyped as one of the best films of 2017!). I just feel it's a topic that's been approached a lot better by other directors. Kore-eda and Loach for example. It seems to meander for just under two hours, repeating itself but not in a way where I thought it was adding impetus. It just stretches things out. Early on you realise exactly what the characters living in The Magic Castle are like and then it hammers those traits into your skull for the duration.

I did love Bobby though. Dafoe is great. Though even if he didn't have the role I still think that his character is very well written. Start a series centred around Bobby running a motel please.

So yeah, this was a solid nomination that should do well but it's not that memorable for me.

Split

And then . . .
the drugs kicked in

The viewer has to look past the budgetary limitations and surrender to the complete weirdness. If one does this as they should, one will be rewarded with a thought provoking comedy.
While I didn't necessarily discover a thought provoking comedy I think I did get a rousing flashback and a touch of nostalgia for a number of sci-fi films my younger brother enjoyed back during the late eighties that had a similar Orwellian synopsis with acid trip effects.
Which, for me, kicked in with the version I watched on youtube that included a trailer for another low budget flick, making me think of Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse movie with the Drive In Movie Trailers.

So, with a memory of similar films that were made back then, my past enjoyments of hallucinogenics and being a kid in the early seventies when kid shows included acid trip like effects (particularly during a rock song aka The Hot Fudge Show, The Groovy Ghoulies and others) this was kinda fun to watch; should I be completely honest.
Not one I imagine I'd revisit (unless very VERY high lol) but on the list of The Strange Oddball Films I Wouldn't Have Seen Otherwise and therefore, not such a bad thing.