A Song For March (a song tourney with a difference)

Tools    

Weird is relative.
2. Brody Dalle - Rat Race
(Simplistic, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Gives me strong Joan Jett vibes. Catchy and spunky. This chick is the former lead singer of The Distillers, for anyone who remembers that group.)
I remembered her. Was thinking of putting up City of Angels but a few people aren't fans of punk rock, so...

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I agree, this is has been a fun format and 14 in the final should be fine

Alice and Chains - Love, Hate, Love in the top favorites of mine from Alice&Chains

Thin Lizzy - Emerald VERY happy to see some Thin Lizzy in one of these. I've always been tempted to nominate Rosalie from them

Brody Dalle - Rat Race kind of reminded me of Blondie's Debbie Harry in a very good way

Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou found a video with the actual band back in '63 from, perhaps a film or tv show (kinda cool)

Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run the go-to guy for epic soundtracks. Gets a wild jazz like feel two thirds in

Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde quite the melodic journey and a wonderful montage of natural imagery to go along with this

Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London don't think Ive ever heard this one, nice

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt quite the operatic metal

gang of four - damaged goods sort of generic punk

The Stranglers - Always The Sun not much to say about this one

Will we be ranking from most to least liked in the Final as well?
@Chypmunk

Honestly this has been a great diversion for me in my spare time/a good way to discover new music, so I'd be open to participating in a month-long round again anytime soon.
We will.

Glad it's proved an enjoyable diversion for you

Glad to see quite a few are enjoying the format - appreciate the feedback as wasn't sure how it'd go down

Everybody has now boarded the 'vote train' so here are the Round 10 results:

1st - Thin Lizzy - Emerald (69 pts)

2nd - Alice and Chains - Love, Hate, Love (68 pts)
3rd - Rammstein - Mein Hertz Brennt (61 pts)
4th - Ennio Morricone / Christy - Run, Man Run (59 pts)
5th - Dick Dale and the Del-Tones - Misirlou (58 pts)
5th - Electric Light Orchestra - Last Train To London (57 pts)
7th - Brody Dalle - Rat Race (50 pts)
8th - gang of four - damaged goods (47 pts)
9th - Wagner - Liebestod from Tristan und Isolde (45 pts)
10th - The Stranglers - Always The Sun (36 pts)

Well done MijaFrost on getting a second through to the Final

Round 11 will be up in a couple of hours.

A fairly difficult set to order imo...

1. Lilium - Sleeping Inside
2. Alice In Chains - Would?
3. Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time
4. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
5. Alice In Chains - Dem Bones
6. In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding
7. Slipknot - The Devil In I
8. Theatre Des Vampires - Your Ragdoll
9. Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3
10. Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music

Round 12 nom:
Colleen Lovett - Love Man

In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding - Finally. Something I just instantly liked. I'm not sure if I've heard this before or not, but it's right up my street.

Alice In Chains - Dem Bones - This is the only AIC song I really like.

Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 - It's Beethoven. It's very nice and from a lovely symphony, but it's not anything which really gets into me.

Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music - Enjoyed this and it didn't outstay it's welcome.

Slipknot - The Devil In I - Does well here because of the rest. Driving drumbeats and guitars will usually do ok with me, even if I don't care for much else, though that's not the case here. Thought it was ok.

Alice in Chains - Would? - As I said before, I've not really ever been on the AIC train, but I do like the bassline on this.

Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll - This is alright. Not anything I'd really choose to listen to, but it's close enough to what I like to not be annoying and pass the time well enough.

Lilium - Sleeping Inside - Oh, it's sleepy time alright.

Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time - It's Liza singing. I rarely like the kind of singing in musicals. Especially that Broadway style. I used the alt link.

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence - Sorry. Soundtracks just don't do much for me.

Weird is relative.
Round 11:

1. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

This has a lovely fairytale quality to it. I listened to a studio recording as well. A new one to add to my "relaxing instrumental melodies" playlist, thanks Reso! Now I'm interested in checking out the movie, too.

2. Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time

I first became enamored of Liza's singing in Cabaret and went on to play the songs she recorded separately later. The version I selected was one such, but I still think she's good in the one from the Cabaret soundtrack.

3. Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll

Catchy despite the sad lyrics.

4. Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3

I think I've heard this a million times because of how widely played it is, but it's still a masterful composition.

5. Lilium - Sleeping Inside

Another of those "chill out" instrumental pieces I like, although this one has a mournful sound.

6. In This Moment - Black Wedding

What do you call this, dark art-rock? It's interesting. Never heard of this band. Reminds me of The Pretty Reckless.

7. Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music

I like the positive, happy vibe here.

8. Alice in Chains - Would?

9. Alice In Chains - Dem Bones

Alice in Chains are alright, but I guess they're probably not something I'd seek out myself.

10. Slipknot - The Devil In I

Wasn't a fan...

Round 12:
The Sisters of Mercy - Lucretia, My Reflection

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Alice in Chains - Would?
Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3
Alice In Chains - Dem Bones
Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time
Lilium - Sleeping Inside
Slipknot - The Devil In I
Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music
Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll
In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding

Nom for next round
CAN - Oh Yeah

This has a lovely fairytale quality to it. I listened to a studio recording as well. A new one to add to my "relaxing instrumental melodies" playlist, thanks Reso! Now I'm interested in checking out the movie, too.
Yay! 😆
The rendition with david sylvian on vocal is quiet lite too mija

The movie itself.. isnt great imo, and the young Sakamoto's acting was quiet terrible lol. Not to discourage. beside great soundtrack its still got some nice moments not forget there bowie+kitano, that's already full service

Weird is relative.
@resopamenic I liked that. Definitely very 80s.

I won't have high expectations for the movie then, but haha, yeah, I'd probably watch it for Bowie...

1. Alice in Chains - Would?
  2. Lilium - Sleeping Inside
  3. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
  4. Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music
  5. Alice In Chains - Dem Bones
  6. Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll
  7. Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time
  8. Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3
  9. In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding
  10. Slipknot - The Devil In I

1. Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll
Good gothic rock with kinda weird (but sexy) vocalist. Again, if I'd use the term guilty pleasure this would be exactly that.

2. Alice in Chains - Would?
Not as good as the previous AIC but still pretty nice.

3. Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3
Pretty nice for a classical piece. Stays on course instead of splashing all over the place like some others.

4. Alice In Chains - Dem Bones
Worst AIC this far. Still not bad but lacks the grandeur of the other two.

5. Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time
Required some VPN fiddling to listen the original link. Not my type of music really but she has a really nice voice.

6. Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music
Love those Hammonds! Otherwise not really my stuff.

7. Lilium - Sleeping Inside
The music for crying yourself to sleep. I kinda wished there was vocals though.

8. In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding
As much as I like Rob Halford this wasn't really good. Sounds so cheap.

9. Slipknot - The Devil In I
I find Slipknot's visual style rather silly and it definitely doesn't fit this music. Those clean vocal verses are rather good but the rest is rather crappy.

10. Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
Was browsing the net while listening and I don't remember anything.

Grand Funk Railroad - Footstompin' Music a true unknown gem from a gem of a band

Alice in Chains - Would? Big fan of Alice in Chains especially when Layne and Jerry blend in the vocals

Alice In Chains - Dem Bones hard to choose between these two

Beethoven - Symphony No. 3, Movement 3 you just can NOT go wrong with good ole Ludwig

Lilium - Sleeping Inside an intriguing mix of cerebral and visceral, musically

Theatres des Vampires - Your Ragdoll not shabby, this. Kind of a very pleasant surprise

Liza Minnelli - Maybe This Time (**alt link if needed) a little old time torch, a splash of blues and stir in some jazzy club scene with Liz belting away. Nice!

Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence very calming; like a light spring rain as the morning sun rises. . . and then the dawn BREAKS

In This Moment ft. Rob Halford - Black Wedding a solid mix with Halford joining in with This Moment, not their best, but still very good

Slipknot - The Devil In I Not a fan. Good song though

A VERY TOUGH list to vote on.