Question about the plot to Widows (2018)?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
After watching the movie, I have some questions about the plot?

SPOILERS

Why is that the police executed Harry Rawlings team? Is it because these are the corrupt cops that Mulligan was involved with, and they wanted their money back? But if this was the case, the cops would want to make it look like police self defense, but doesn't it look suspicious, when each thief, has about 30-50 bullets in them, which is quite excessive, since the cops shot up the whole van with machine gun fire, and just kept going?

Plus wouldn't this turn all the money they wanted to get back into swiss cheese pretty much?

Also why did the cops shoot Harry Rawling's son, when he didn't have a weapon of any kind? Are these cops part of the same corrupt cops? But if so, then what grudge did they have against Rawlings to kill his son before Rawlings stole from them?

What did I miss on that?

After watching the movie, I have some questions about the plot?

SPOILERS

Why is that the police executed Harry Rawlings team? Is it because these are the corrupt cops that Mulligan was involved with, and they wanted their money back? But if this was the case, the cops would want to make it look like police self defense, but doesn't it look suspicious, when each thief, has about 30-50 bullets in them, which is quite excessive, since the cops shot up the whole van with machine gun fire, and just kept going?

Plus wouldn't this turn all the money they wanted to get back into swiss cheese pretty much?

Also why did the cops shoot Harry Rawling's son, when he didn't have a weapon of any kind? Are these cops part of the same corrupt cops? But if so, then what grudge did they have against Rawlings to kill his son before Rawlings stole from them?

What did I miss on that?
Well the point was that cops shoot first, especially in Chicago.

I also doubt they cared about the Money, Money is either insured or it's dirty so why would cops care about it.

Because it was the dirty cops's money or so I thought, because they said something about how Mulligan was involved with dirty cops and it was there money, or so I though they said.

Also is it normal in Chicago for cops to shoot this first that many times? What if they had the wrong guys? And since the kid, didn't have a gun, wouldn't they be worried about being fired, or does their jobs mean nothing to them, and they can always find other jobs?

Spoilers for Widows below.

For your first question, in the scene where you see how Rawlings escaped the shoot-out and explosion, he fires the first shots while the garage door is opening, instigating the police assault. When Mulligan is speaking to Harry on the boat, it's revealed that one of the Detectives who was at the crime scene was on it the whole time, as was the Mortician. The rest of the officers were likely just responding to the tip they received about the robbery Rawlings' team just committed.

As for the son, he was a black kid driving an expensive car, who did a U-Turn right in front of a squad car. The white officers found that suspicious, and it was obvious as they were approaching the vehicle that they thought the kid was a criminal. One of the officers keeps yelling to keep his hands where they can see them, but since the boy is on the phone with his dad, and oblivious to the danger he is in, he reaches for the glove box, which unfortunately was reason enough for the officers to shoot him. He was racially profiled by a cop who was keen to shoot first and ask questions later.

Because it was the dirty cops's money or so I thought, because they said something about how Mulligan was involved with dirty cops and it was there money, or so I though they said.

Also is it normal in Chicago for cops to shoot this first that many times? What if they had the wrong guys? And since the kid, didn't have a gun, wouldn't they be worried about being fired, or does their jobs mean nothing to them, and they can always find other jobs?

We don't know those were the "dirty cops" or that they had the information needed and yes Cop's shoot that many times

Well it's just that Harry fired the first two shots from his pistol before the garage door was hardly open. So wouldn't this conclude that one robber probably shot the others, instead of thinking the shots were aimed at them?

I think the example that was posted was different cause shots were fired at police at least so they said. They didn't say in their reports, that the heard two shots fired from the inside, before the doors opened or anything.

I also didn't think that the cops killing the son was racially motivated. I mean if you are the kind cop who shoots first and asks questions later, when it comes to not confirming if a person was armed or not, then what difference does race make? I'm not American, so do a lot of white cops more afraid of black criminals, compared to white ones?

Well it's just that Harry fired the first two shots from his pistol before the garage door was hardly open. So wouldn't this conclude that one robber probably shot the others, instead of thinking the shots were aimed at them?

No, it would make them think they are being shot at and to unload on the car

I think the example that was posted was different cause shots were fired at police at least so they said. They didn't say in their reports, that the heard two shots fired from the inside, before the doors opened or anything.

I also didn't think that the cops killing the son was racially motivated. I mean if you are the kind cop who shoots first and asks questions later, when it comes to not confirming if a person was armed or not, then what difference does race make? I'm not American, so do a lot of white cops more afraid of black criminals, compared to white ones?

Cops shoot everyone first, they are almost never held accountable

The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400.[24] Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that non-reporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies.[25] The Washington Post has tracked shootings (only) since 2015, reporting 990 shootings in that year,[26] and 963 in 2016.[27]

Deaths by age group in 2015, according to The Counted

The Guardian newspaper runs its own database, The Counted, which tracked US killings by police and other law enforcement agencies including from gunshots, tasers, car accidents and custody deaths. In 2015 they and counted 1146 deaths and 1093 deaths for 2016. The database can be viewed by state, gender, race/ethnicity, age, classification (e.g., "gunshot"), and whether the person killed was armed.[28] The Washington Post also keeps a database of police killings for 2015 to 2017. The database can also classify people in various categories including race, age, weapon etc. The database lists 995 deaths for 2015, 963 for 2016 and 976 for 2017

Oh okay. Well how come the police are hardly ever portrayed like this in other movies then?

Like in Phone Booth for example, how come Colin Farrell's character isn't shot right off the bat, after the hookers tell the police that he shot their pimp? Why don't they just empty their guns into him right then and there?

And how come in The Fugitive, when Harrison Ford is at the end of the waterfall, holding a gun, Tommy Lee Jones, comes up behind him and tells him to put the gun down, instead of just shooting him right there, knocking him down the waterfall?

There are several other movies as well, where the cops give them chances to surrender.

But why aren't cops hardly ever portrayed like this in other movies, compared to this one, if it's more realistic?

Another part of the movie I didn't understand is, when Veronica goes over to Amanda's house, Amanda doesn't want her there, cause she is secretly hiding Henry from her, not wanting her to know that Henry is still alive.

Amanda's baby starts crying and she saves, I have to go tend to the baby, and then she leaves the room. Amanda then finds out Henry is there. Why did Amanda leave the room to tend to her baby, if Henry is hiding there, and she is trying to keep Veronica from finding out?

Couldn't a crying baby wait for her in that case?

Also why did the police think that Henry Rawlings was dead when his body wasn't among those, that were blown up in the van? Since the van was rigged with a bomb, and Henry's bones would not be found in it, wouldn't the police think that it was a set up, since the van was rigged to blow up? Why report Henry as dead then, if his remains are not there?

Because Police are little bitches whenever they are criticized and they threw a bitch fit when Tarantino criticized them.

Also Widow's was the third film to touch on the subject matter this year that I know of so it's not unheard of.

Well why don't other movies do it then? Just cause of bitch fits? Like in The Dark Knight, when the gunman tries to shoot Coleman Reece so the hospital will not be blown up, he fires shots at Reece not realizing that the glass was bullet proof. The cops then wrestle the gun out of his hand. Why didn't they just shoot him?

Or when the Joker has all the hostages, disguised as his henchmen with guns taped to their hands, so they cannot drop them. Why did the police give them warning to drop their guns instead of just shoot them, especially since fairies are about to be blown up soon? Why not portray police this way in other movies? I've never heard of any fits of portrayal, and do they actually care?

Well why don't other movies do it then? Just cause of bitch fits? Like in The Dark Knight, when the gunman tries to shoot Coleman Reece so the hospital will not be blown up, he fires shots at Reece not realizing that the glass was bullet proof. The cops then wrestle the gun out of his hand. Why didn't they just shoot him?

Or when the Joker has all the hostages, disguised as his henchmen with guns taped to their hands, so they cannot drop them. Why did the police give them warning to drop their guns instead of just shoot them, especially since fairies are about to be blown up soon? Why not portray police this way in other movies? I've never heard of any fits of portrayal, and do they actually care?

Well money, I remember when Quentin talked bad about the police and suddenly every Hateful Eight video had someone popping in and throwing spoilers out. You aren't really going to get anything controversial in a billion dollar movie

But how is that the police have the power to cut a movies funding, especially someone as big as Quentin Tarantino? How do the police have power over that?

But how is that the police have the power to cut a movies funding, especially someone as big as Quentin Tarantino? How do the police have power over that?

Because a studio is not going to make a 200 million controversial film

But I didn't think that making a movie where cops shoot first and ask questions later would be considered controversial, if it's a normal occurrence in the U.S.?

This is actually fascinating to me, since I'm not American. When it comes to black police officers, do they not shoot first and ask questions later as much as the white ones then, according to how these movies are portraying it? And if that is so, why are the black police officers more cautious or reluctant on the trigger?