18th Mofo Hall of Fame

Tools    

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules;1992683/
And sometimes when I review a movie I have no idea how I feel about it, until my review tells me what to think. Anybody else have that experience?
Yes, sir!

18th
Hall of Fame

Split

endlessly exasperating excrement of experimental sci-fi punk-trash, which might be a number two, but it will be dead last on my list, that’s for damn sure… I will try my best to flush this out of my memory as quickly as possible. “Straaaaw” Fuuuuuuuck!

But I feel as if your review left a lot out...tell us what you really thought!

But I feel as if your review left a lot out...tell us what you really thought!

I know you can take it, Joel!

Haha, of course the review was an obvious exercise in over exaggerated sh*t talk (quite lit(t)erally. I didn’t like it at all and hardly anyone did so I thought I might as well have some fun with it. Hope that was okay haha

I know you can take it, Joel!

Haha, of course the review was an obvious exercise in over exaggerated sh*t talk (quite lit(t)erally. I didn’t like it at all and hardly anyone did so I thought I might as well have some fun with it. Hope that was okay haha
Totally, dude.

Like I said, my fascination with it is something I selfishly thought would translate, and..it did not. That's OK. As much as I see the differing POV's in the garbage bin dept POV( pov x's 2), I still can't separate my own love for it. Thankfully, lol. ;P

But WATCH OUT! Because the next time, I may decide to elect "A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon".

I hated Split, but I've often thought of nominating something that others would really consider trash
There should be a HoF for films that are universally considered bad (The Room, Birdemic, etc.) Could be a lot if fun.

Not sure but Hangover or Wedding Crashers would be my style
I've not seen Hangover but I've seen Wedding Crashers and thought it was pretty darn funny. It would make a good nom for a Comedy HoF.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
"Stellar!"...."a magnified descript in full bloom!"...."enriched and enlightened, a true marvel of reflection!"......"well said"

Serious, though - ed. Nicely done!

THANKS
LOVE the "quotes"!!!

The Little Stranger

SPOILERS

I actually surprised myself at how agitated I was at the ambiguity of the ending to this film. Especially since I normally enjoy an ambigious ending and yet, here, I actually grumbled, "What the f@ck!?"

Perhaps because this felt very much like a British Mystery film and everything seemed to narrow down to "the answer/reveal" that I honestly got pretty d@mn irate when it didn't happen.
Which, perhaps, why what normally intrigues and gives birth to speculation and debate; felt more like a cold shoulder and the back of someone who refused to answer my question as they stiffly walked away.

So much so I had to seek out an interview with the director, Abrahamson, who gave me an explanation I could have considered if my anger did not get so much in the way of what could have been a lovely session of "film detective" on my part. Instead of what was a gut-jerking reaction of "It's Faraday. He envied, he was infatuated and took them all out just to get it." Godd@mmit

Now, without that misinterpretation of my perception of this film as I watched, completely blind to all of it, I could very easily have appreciated the ambiguous ending, and relished it even more so learning the director's view of it all. That the "thing" was born of Faraday, as a child when he broke off the acorn from the frame and while the adult was not acting first hand, there was a connection to the "ghost" that "haunted" Hundreds House.

I rather like that.

AND, I DID rather like the film all together. (Which may also have played a bit into the quick to anger at the ending of an enjoyable film).

Because I DO enjoy such films and I love the actresses in this. Both Charlotte Rampling from a number of things in the past and Ruth Wilson whom I was utterly intoxicated with in the BBC crime series Luther

Along with the ambiance as well as the frigid tension that permeates any good British Gothic film as this did.
I WILL be seeing this again AND having ridden my silly anger, I can appreciate the nuances of the ending of a man who ached so badly for something as a child only to get a "shell" of that former glory that had originally entranced him back then.

The Little Stranger

SPOILERS

I had to seek out an interview with the director, Abrahamson, who gave me an explanation I could have considered if my anger did not get so much in the way of what could have been a lovely session of "film detective" on my part.
I believe in death of the author. So I never believe what directors say when they try to explain what their film means....as they're only stating what they wanted to say with the film and not what it means to me. Ridley Scott is the worst at that.

Instead of what was a gut-jerking reaction of "It's Faraday. He envied, he was infatuated and took them all out just to get it."
That's how I seen the film.

I believe in death of the author. So I never believe what directors say when they try to explain what their film means....as they're only stating what they wanted to say with the film and not what it means to me. Ridley Scott is the worst at that.

That's how I seen the film.
I agree, but since I'm watching the film and had not read the book I have to go to the creator of the media that I'm witnessing. Which, like an overly large number of films, comes down to another reader's perception of what they read and not necessarily the author's vision. Except for those who bring in the author to write the script or assist in the creative aspect of the film. So how close he came or meandered off, I don't know. But I did get to read the director's perception of the film's ending and what he was aiming at when he made it.

When I said death of the author, in this case I meant the director. I should have wrote my post my clear, but I was in a hurry! as usually

When I said death of the author, in this case I meant the director. I should have wrote my post my clear, but I was in a hurry! as usually
faux pas is as faux pas does, my friend.
Speaking as a man is utterly freakin fluent in faux pas

How is everybody looking? I know Citizen and Vicky are done, as am I.

The list on the first page hasn’t been updated so I was just wondering. even though I’m done I’ll happily join in on the discussion of course

How is everybody looking? I know Citizen and Vicky are done, as am I.

The list on the first page hasn’t been updated so I was just wondering. even though I’m done I’ll happily join in on the discussion of course
Last edited by Siddon; 6 days ago at 01:36 PM.

I'm going to watch Bubba Ho-Tep and then do an update.

Basically I don't want the thread to become neglected so I will be slowing down my pace to match the stragglers.

We've received three lists 2-9 are very close with the first and last place films both having hefty leads.