Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Tried watching a couple of 1970s flicks with Charlton Heston last night:

The Omega Man (1971, Boris Sagal)

Turned it off after about 15 minutes. Terribly dated, annoying, corny 70s sci-fi with a needlessly intrusive, grating score. Just awful.

Soylent Green (1973, Richard Fleischer)

This was noticeably better, so much so that I was able to actually finish it. There's a noir-ish, investigative element to the story that at least kept my interest. The film does look dated but it also has some nice emotional moments, and the core anti-utopian message regarding the long-term effects of overpopulation, climate change and the growing, unfettered power of multi-national corporations is still very much relevant today.

THE TEXAS CHAIN SAW MASSACRE (1974) TOBE HOOPER

A little late for Halloween, but... here it goes. This is one of my favorite horror movies, I rank it as equally good as The Exorcist. Those two images are my all time favorite scenes. The ending in this movie, cinematically speaking is fantastic, is almost poetic. With a tiny budget, Tobe Hooper made a masterpiece.

The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges, 1941)

Like a weird comedy version of Vertigo... real good fun with some great performances and fantastic direction to go with it.
I have a lot of time for Barbara Stanwyck .

This would be a good movie for @Citizen Rules.

A sci-fi with Julianne Moore, yeah that sounds like my kind of movie, thanks!
Not science fiction at all. A dystopian movie. Julianne was stupendous in her rôle.

Snooze factor rating = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Carnival of Souls (1962)

+

I think this was the first time I've seen this. With the way it started, it seemed like it was going to be a little cheap and corny, yet it was still effective. It was pretty easy to tell where it was going, but that's not the film's fault, but rather because of the movies that have come after it. I thought it was creepy and a bit surreal. I chose to watch the black and white version.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…

Green Book (2018)

I mean, everybody goes to a Stuckey's once. Everybody.

Weird is relative.
Asher (2018)

This one is a slow-burner drama that's not going to appeal to everyone, hence the low rating on IMDb currently.

I, however, quite liked it. Asher is an aging hitman who lives an orderly and reclusive lifestyle, until he almost literally bumps into an attractive woman (Famke Janssen, who, in her early 50s, is stunning, and looks ten years younger), and decides to break from his routine and try pursuing her.

At the same time, the organization he belongs to is going through troubling upheavals.

Despite the fact that his career centers around violence and death, he is a likable character. Even though we aren't given much information on "why" he does what he does, I enjoyed being part of his "world," and didn't want the experience to end so soon, like when one spends time in the company of an old friend.

I think this story would have made a good TV show.

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
Mission impossible fallout 76

Don’t think this franchise has much more air. Tom cruise is really showing his age...he however looks tremendous for the age but is unconvincing as an action movie lead. Too much time was spent on him running, climbing, walking, talking. Would be better suited to a mentor role if the franchise continues, which I assume it will judging by the numbers.

As for the plot - A very standard ticking time bomb plot device pulled straight out of screen writing 101.

The best MI is still number one imo, second best is 4 which is goofy fun. This was really below average.

2.5/5

The Editor (2014)

Cast and crew for a Giallo are getting butchered in this movie I had on my watchlist thanks to CiCi. With the exception of some 80's movies I first saw when they came out, I'm not a big fan of comedy mixed in with my horror. At the very least, I generally need the horror to far outweigh the humor. That's not the case here and so at first I didn't think I was going to like it. After some time it did win me over a bit. There are some funny moments and the gore effects are solid. It's also heavy on babes including the great Paz De La Huerta who is perhaps the greatest combination of hideous and hot the world has ever seen.

Called Terrified in the USA but that US Terrified movie poster looks ridiculous. Nobody in their right mind would watch a movie based off that poster. It has its faults but overall it's a pretty good ghost story. It borrows ideas from several recent movies, Insidious being the most obvious, but does everything a tad better. Biggest issue for me is the standard tall, lanky, creepy looking things as the ghost. I think that's been done to death and isn't terribly scary anymore. Thankfully the movie doesn't rely solely on these things for its scares. Has some nice creepiness throughout and a few well timed jump scares. Also, the ending could pose a problem if you like things to be all wrapped up nice and tidy.

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Broadens the scope of the Jason lore outside The Crystal Lake Camp setting, as Voorhees is dispatched to a morgue after his fatality in the barn at the end of Part 3. With Jimmy (Crispin Glover) and his funnier-than-he-rightfully-should-be friend Ted, there's some gratifying character play. They're set against a few tag-alongs, a pair of twins, and a neighboring family they meet on their trip into Friday Land Woods. The story has a lot more elements at play in that sense than prior installments. There's wisecracks thanks to the Jimmy-Ted banter, some family-fare with the addition of young Corey Feldman a year before The Goonies, Tom Savini gore FX and memorable kill sequences particularly with Crispin Glover's celebration attempt with a wine corkscrew and Ted's stabbing through a projector screen as Jason disturbs a late-night viewing of silly old black & white nude films. The side stories are some unmistakable schlock though. It's mucked up, but there's a movie I enjoy in here with the right slash-cutting editor.

Rating:
+ 6.5 / 10

Theme by H Manfredini

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	TFC84.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	50147