Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Awakenings (1990)

''I can’t imagine being older than 22. I’ve no experience at it.
I know it’s not 1926. I just need it to be.''

The Shape of Water (2017)
Winner of the Oscar for Best Picture

All these go-nowhere add-ons creates an illusion of a film that is something much more important, than it really is. And these mag wheels and racing stripes on mom's 4 door car, won it an Oscar. I haven't seen all the other nominations for last year, but there had to be something better than this mishmash serving of potatoes without gravy. No, that's not right, this is all gravy with no potatoes.

Great review, CR. But no, there unfortunately was nothing better nominated this year. I felt as though all the nominees were tied for 3rd place, with 1 and 2 non-existent...

~Doc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
All the money in the world.

Great movie - I really loved it

Ready Player One (2018)

One of Steven Spielberg's best films in recent years, it was full of great performances all-around, dazzling visuals, clever pop culture references, and a great soundtrack/score. Probably my favorite part about the film was how it made me feel like a kid again, something I can't say about most movies that have come out in this decade. The plot (while interesting) felt a little rushed at times, and there wasn't as much character development as there could have been, but overall I had a blast with Ready Player One and would recommend checking it out.

Paddington 2 - 5/10. Not bad, not great. Just decent. Sally Hawkins spends some time under water in this one as well!

A Shriek In The Night (Albert Ray, 1933)
+
"If I didn't have four kids and a wife that could lick her weight in wildcats, I might like it better"

Paddington 2 - 5/10. Not bad, not great. Just decent. Sally Hawkins spends some time under water in this one as well!
I remember the first time I saw Sally Hawkins was in a drama with the sprawling title Shiny Shiny Bright New Hole in My Heart (2006). She played a shopaholic in a downward spiral. Really good . Other than that Happy-Go-Lucky and Persuasion strike me as her best parts.

Phoenix (2014)
For the Foreign Language Hall of Fame

Christian Petzold, does an excellent job of building suspense and the ending is an unexpected pleasure. Beautifully constructed and melancholy piece of cinema but its implausibility means that it can only be admired from a distance.
The problem is that there are a few instances in the story where it is near impossible that it could play out the way he presents it.
Phoenix is undone by a premise that asks the audience to swallow a bit more than they may be prepared to. Nothing more than a fairly compelling thriller
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Song Of Granite (Pat Collins, 2017)
+
Nice Irish documentary entry to the Academy awards

Unregistered User

The Rover (2014)

Heard a lot of good reports about this but it still exceeded my expectations. Really gorgeously well paced film that was pretty grim throughout, which totally suited Pattinson to a tee. After this and a recent watch of Good Time, I really hope he sticks to darker projects for the time being. Also, fair dues to Guy Pearce who also did a more or less flawless job in this apocalyptic/outback/western/thriller.

+

The Funeral Murders (2018)

This is a tv doc on the atrocities that took place during two funerals in Belfast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporals_killings

If you can find it, I recommend watching.

Affair in the Snow (1968) by Yoshishige Yoshida

Interesting and depressing watch, i am certainly going to see more of Yoshida's film

The Dawn Patrol (1930) by Howard Hawks

A slightly uneven war movie from Howard Hawks, but still really good and it dwells on the existentiale of death in light of war times. Howard Hawk might be my all time favorite American director.
+

The Silent Child (Chris Overton, 2017)
+
Laudable in intent, weak in content

Welcome to the human race...
Army of Shadows -

about time I saw a better movie about the French Resistance than Top Secret!

“I was cured, all right!”

The Rover (2014)

Heard a lot of good reports about this but it still exceeded my expectations. Really gorgeously well paced film that was pretty grim throughout, which totally suited Pattinson to a tee. After this and a recent watch of Good Time, I really hope he sticks to darker projects for the time being. Also, fair dues to Guy Pearce who also did a more or less flawless job in this apocalyptic/outback/western/thriller.

+
Interesting, I'll check it out tonight.

This might just do nobody any good.
All the money in the world.

Great movie - I really loved it
I'm curious Dani. Why do you loved?
I’m curious about that movie too. A friend of mine saw it and said it was like watching tiny bits of a great J. Paul Getty biopic trapped inside an okay kidnapping plot.

Edit: anyone see Danny Boyle’s tv show on the very same subject? The response has been more positive there.