The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

With that I will be sending in my list. I watched We Need To Talk About Kevin right before this HOF started so I won't be revisiting it. I loved it. Despite not being sure through the first half I ended up loving the story structure. Very effective film that will be high on my HOF list and the list for the upcoming countdown as well.
Cool, glad to see you back in these and looking forward to your list

It wasn't gory or anything it was just how intense i found what's his name and how bad i felt for Tore. Plus that chicken scene is one of the most disgusting things i've ever seen, that won't leave my mind and i've been weird around chicken ever since then haha.
Yeah dude, only about a minute of the movie but that will stay with me. That and the first time he is taken to you know where.

Yeah dude, only about a minute of the movie but that will stay with me. That and the first time he is taken to you know where.
The mothers attitude to him has stayed with me too, i mean everything except what she does to him at the end as that was over the top. Felt like she could be support for him in the house early on particularly when he took her to the dance...but nah.

The mothers attitude to him has stayed with me too, i mean everything except what she does to him at the end as that was over the top. Felt like she could be support for him in the house early on particularly when he took her to the dance...but nah.
Her and her friend are certainly the two characters that looked down their nose at him the most. That bothered me too. Their actions were too far gone of course but I can see how bringing a pretty strange man of that age into the house would bother her. We don't really get to know her that well. The young boy either, and there was some strange stuff going on with him.
WARNING: "Nothing Bad" spoilers below
Maybe we are supposed to assume sexual abuse but the father only seemed interested in the girl. Could be something physical there too or even just what he has had to see.

Got Sean's list Just about to add it. That's mine, Sean's, Citizen's and Crickets received. Thurday, Siddon and Ed are just about finished. Hashtag has seen four, JJ five he's only reviewed four though, Yam six and he's only reviewed four. Then Jal said he's watching them after the first week of February so i'm guessing that's now.

Remember we are under six weeks left now so you should have seen at least five to be on one per week. If there's not much movement by the five weeks to go point i'll mention a few to make sure everything is on track.

Her and her friend are certainly the two characters that looked down their nose at him the most. That bothered me too. Their actions were too far gone of course but I can see how bringing a pretty strange man of that age into the house would bother her. We don't really get to know her that well. The young boy either, and there was some strange stuff going on with him.
WARNING: "Nothing Bad" spoilers below
Maybe we are supposed to assume sexual abuse but the father only seemed interested in the girl. Could be something physical there too or even just what he has had to see.
I honestly forgot there even was a young boy until you brought him up now. I gave him basically zero thought.

Nothing Bad Can Happen

Not a bad film but not one I am likely to fall in love with either. I think the main character is pretty compelling. Like the other characters in the film it is obvious to us that something is a little off with him but it is hard to put your finger on exactly what. You can see why he would easily get sucked into these situations where he feels the least bit of emotional attachment. There are points where you simply want him to run but the reason he doesn't really endears you to him and and makes you like him all the more.

I love that the structure of the film is based off one of my favorite verses but the portrayal of religion bothered me a bit as well. Not that people like all the ones we see don't exist but it would have been nice to see a Christian with a level head that could be there for our protagonist. Still I don't think the film maker ever judges him for his faith despite his obvious naivete. There is a really nice moment towards the end between him and the daughter involving his faith that I think sums up his character arc quite nicely. I like the way the ending was handled as well.

All in all a memorable film that just doesn't have any great elements for me to hold onto. Glad Cricket nominated it as I hadn't even ever heard of it. Even after everyone else's reviews I was expecting an English language exploitation film. There are a couple moments that are really hard to not get squeamish during but it was very tame compared to what I was expecting.
Your favorability exceeded my expectations.

Ratcatcher by far. Why out of interest?
Just curious. I have seen We Need to Talk About Kevin and liked it a lot. Watched a video essay on her films the other day and it sparked my interest.

Just curious. I have seen We Need to Talk About Kevin and liked it a lot. Watched a video essay on her films the other day and it sparked my interest.
Cool hope you like her others. We Need To Talk About Kevin is her weakest IMO.

Man, this film is fantastic. Despite Kevin being the title character, it's more of a character study on Swinton's character. All of the actors play their parts excellently, possibly helped by Ramsay's excellent direction. The non-linear structure really works for the film, it allows you to keep on guessing as to what happened.

Some people don't like how a deep red colour is evident in almost every scene. I think it's really clever actually. Eva is plagued with the thoughts of the incident and her influence on Kevin. When the tomatoes are thrown at her house it's almost impossible for her to get the red colour off, a la Lady Macbeth can't wipe the blood from her hands, like she can't wipe her misdeeds from her subconscious (Out, damned spot! Out!).

I think re-watching the film was a great idea. I noticed some very subtle things that I didn't notice on my first watch.
WARNING: spoilers below
The first time Kevin is happy around Eva is when she's reading the story of Robin Hood to him, a man known for his bow and arrow.

ALSO MILLER LOOKS SO MUCH LIKE MY BOY BEN SWOLO OMG!!!

One thing i was really impressed by was the casting of Young Kevin, i'm not in love with his performance but i can totally see him growing up to be Ezra Miller.

Let the night air cool you off
Orlando is a weird movie. I appreciate that hallucinatory weirdness. I appreciate the sometimes beautiful landscapes and fog. I disliked that most of the film felt like the makers really thought the things on screen were beautiful, but there was just a lot going on and it wasn't nearly as visually appealing as they might have thought. Also, Billy Zane is annoying to look at and annoying to listen to. It was only a 90 minute film, but seemed to drag (no pun intended there). I'm interested in reading the source material, but it didn't seem to fully work as an onscreen adaptation. It wasn't a terrible film, but it deffo seems like a lot of missed potential here.

We Need To Talk About Kevin, I forgot how non-linear the film was. It really captures the emotions of a woman whose life has been ruined at every stage by her child. I suppose their are certain logistical issues with the film, I highly doubt two years later people will still be tormenting the mother of Kevin. Actually I'm not sure the parents of these monster kids would ever be blamed. So it would have been nice to get a scene that would make people hate Eva. That's something where the ambiguous nature of the story doesn't really work.

But really this movie is an excellent exercise in misery. You really want to kill Kevin for the good of humanity at several points in the film.