Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Voskhozhdeniye aka The Ascent

In this 1977 black and white Soviet wartime drama, two partisans resisting German incursions into Byelorussia during WWII are captured by the Germans when they go to find food at a nearby farm... wow, incredible Cinematography and performances.. I am almost certain Come And See was influenced by this film, the final 20 minutes was something else.

Welcome to the human race...
The Post -

at long last, Bob Odenkirk and David Cross get to work together on something

12 Strong

Not a bad movie but a little too over embellished. You cannot take a few hundred men on horseback and beat 5000 men with medium tanks, 50 MM machine guns and rocket launchers. The team was split for a lack of horses - so they only started with 6, and they could call in air strikes. I am sure these guys did themselves proud but it is kind of crazy - very tough to take out a modern tank you are not going to do it with a rifle while on horseback

Unregistered User
That's a shame, it's on my documentaries watch list. Was it biased? Or just not interesting enough?

Its a really heart-breaking story that for me didn't really get going until close to the incident. I found the first half to be too slow and never really got to know the subjects. I didn't really know much going into it, such a tragic story.

Its a really heart-breaking story that for me didn't really get going until close to the incident. I found the first half to be too slow and never really got to know the subjects. I didn't really know much going into it, such a tragic story.
I think I'll still give it a go. In a similar vein I've just started 'Wormwood', which is a docu-drama type miniseries by Errol Morris. Quite interesting if a little long winded:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7306056/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Three Blind Mice (William A. Seiter, 1938)
+
"If only one woman in ten had as much sense as a goose"

It (2017)

Hmm.

Lots of atmosphere... acting is decent throughout...

Braver than I thought it would be in that there's actual swearing, blood, gore and violence involved. I thought it would be a toned down movie pandering to young audiences who want a few quick jump scenes.
Some decent build up in the more scary scenes... some of which though finish on a highly polished dud-note (like most other horrors of modern day).

Sadly also there's not much in common with the book in terms of monsters.
The novel was written by King as an homage to all the scary creatures he could think of... werewolves, Frankenstein's monster etc etc... and even the 1990 Miniseries tried to have a few creatures in there... but this film has... erm... a clown... and a scary painting... and a clown... then more clown... then a room full of clowns... and a clown.
It's just a scary clown movie as though the filmmakers were pandering to some audiences who just want to see loads of Pennywise and nothing else.
What's important with this is that you can't get behind why the kids are actually scared.
"It" uses various forms to scare the characters... but in this movie, they're all just scared of Pennywise.
One character even says his "biggest fear is clowns"

Bill Skarsgård is absolutely fantastic though.
Excusing the clown references... but in terms of character tone, if Tim Curry was Jack Nicholson, then Bill Skarsgård is Heath Ledger.
He took the role that was made iconic by someone else, and made it his own.

Overall, it's good, but not great.
Hit and miss.
No audience-character connection.
And not actually scary.

I prefer the 1990 miniseries.

A Serious Man - 6.5/10 - I liked the movie more after I watched it, than when I was watching it. Basically, there is no control in life.

Blade Runner 2049 - 9/10 - Amazing visuals and scope. Easy to get lost in a first watch though (at least for me), but it had a great connection to the first movie which makes both of them better. Also makes you question the value of memories.. Very thoughtful movie

It (2017)

+

It's been many years since I watched the original miniseries. I know I enjoyed it and I feel that at a minimum this was at least as good. This is no longer my type of horror but for the most part I really enjoyed it. With the children I kept thinking I was watching a horror version of Stand By Me. I thought the way we meet and come to sympathize with all of the characters was ok enough, and the horror pretty effective. My only gripe is that the last third dragged for me. It's over 2 hours long, rather long for a horror movie, and I felt it. I wish it were 20 minutes shorter somehow but I thought overall it was very well done. I like Tim Curry’s face better as Pennywise but this guy played it well.

This might just do nobody any good.
A Serious Man - 6.5/10 - I liked the movie more after I watched it, than when I was watching it. Basically, there is no control in life.
That’s probably the most rewarding Coen movie for me. “Gets better on multiple viewings” is something you hear around film discussion often but this one actually does.

Looking forward to it for sure.
The journey of Tonny is for sure a tough watch in the 2nd film. Mads is incredible.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
The journey of Tonny is for sure a tough watch in the 2nd film. Mads is incredible.
Oh yes. Amazing. I love Tonny and really should think of him as a bad guy but he has a heart of gold. So not a one dimensional character.

I havent seen the third yet.
The 3rd (Angel of Death) is all about Milo, Radovan from Pusher makes a nice reappearance too. Milos appreciation of food has not moved on much

Mom and Dad (2017).

Was expecting this to be worse. A bit like "The Crazies" but with added Nic Cage scene shredding. Good inter-generational angst lol, I could identify with bits of it ha ha ha! Kept me amused whilst on the sofa with the man-flu 2.5/5

Oh yes. Amazing. I love Tonny and really should think of him as a bad guy but he has a heart of gold. So not a one dimensional character.
I think it shows Dani8 that Tonny is acting up rather than a proper criminal. Due to "The Dukes" reputation. Such a well-rounded performance from Mads. From the downright blackly comical to the heart-wrenchingly tragic.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I think it shows Dani8 that Tonny is acting up rather than a proper criminal. Due to "The Dukes" reputation. Such a well-rounded performance from Mads. From the downright blackly comical to the heart-wrenchingly tragic.
Mads said he just played himself 20 years younger. Not bad for a double knight. The guy is so down to earth. No doubt why he's got such amazing range.