The Women Directors Hall of Fame

Tools    

What I was trying to say by 'bad ass movie bit' was, that usually shows to the audience that the character is a bad ass/psycho, etc.
Sorry Citizen, i was reading through the last few pages and i must have missed this when you posted it so i'm responding to it now. I've cut it to the part that we were talking about so click the "Originally Posted by Citizen Rules" part to see the full post.

How was the cat scene the one that did that? Surely it was the punch at the party, or if you're observant him dropping the wooden pallete on Tore's hands? By the point the cat scene happens we more than know he's a psycho by various other actions including those two and the actions of other characters like his wife who is terrified to go to the party which kicks all of this off.

I don't think he's ever a "bad ass" and i'm not sure we're ever supposed to think that. I'm not American so i never actually say "bad ass" but i've always took it to mean someone doing something cool, often violent which is why i get why you said that. But i don't think any member of this HOF would find Benno or anything he did bad ass, more revolting and weak especially since he's doing it to someone obviously younger and weaker than him and someone completely unwilling to violently react.

Sorry Citizen, i was reading through the last few pages and i must have missed this when you posted it so i'm responding to it now. I've cut it to the part that we were talking about so click the "Originally Posted by Citizen Rules" part to see the full post.

How was the cat scene the one that did that? Surely it was the punch at the party, or if you're observant him dropping the wooden pallete on Tore's hands? By the point the cat scene happens we more than know he's a psycho by various other actions including those two and the actions of other characters like his wife who is terrified to go to the party which kicks all of this off.

I don't think he's ever a "bad ass" and i'm not sure we're ever supposed to think that. I'm not American so i never actually say "bad ass" but i've always took it to mean someone doing something cool, often violent which is why i get why you said that. But i don't think any member of this HOF would find Benno or anything he did bad ass, more revolting and weak especially since he's doing it to someone obviously younger and weaker than him and someone completely unwilling to violently react.
You're right the usual term bad ass in America is usually a compliment of someone who's tough-cool...But in this case I didn't mean it that way. I meant it as a character trope that is often used in films to show that the character is a bad person/psycho/meanie....stuff like that. I should have said he was a bad-mother ****
But being older I don't use the term 'bad ass' like younger people probably do, ha.

Yes, the punch at the party was the first time we see him being sadistic to the boy (sorry can't remember their names), but killing the pet is so overused in films, and that's what I was saying. I remember it was done in The Hunter and I did this when I seen the dead dog scene

You're right the usual term bad ass in America is usually a compliment of someone who's tough-cool...But in this case I didn't mean it that way. I meant it as a character trope that is often used in films to show that the character is a bad person/psycho/meanie....stuff like that. I should have said he was a bad-mother ****
But being older I don't use the term 'bad ass' like younger people probably do, ha.

Yes, the punch at the party was the first time we see him being sadistic to the boy (sorry can't remember their names), but killing the pet is so overused in films, and that's what I was saying. I remember it was done in The Hunter and I did this when I seen the dead dog scene
Thanks for the confirmation mate.

What else could they have done to show he was a psycho other than showing him doing psychotic stuff? Your objection to the cat scene seemed to be that he was show-offish about it which in my opinion would completely suit a sociopathic personality. Also i can't think of many other films personally, with animal deaths signifying psychotic. Even though that's a real life indication. It's probably the best indication actually; that or arson so i think it should be in all Psycho Killer films personally if we're making them all realistic at least.

Thanks for the confirmation mate.

What else could they have done to show he was a psycho other than showing him doing psychotic stuff? Your objection to the cat scene seemed to be that he was show-offish about it which in my opinion would completely suit a sociopathic personality. Also i can't think of many other films personally, with animal deaths signifying psychotic. Even though that's a real life indication. It's probably the best indication actually; that or arson so i think it should be in all Psycho Killer films personally if we're making them all realistic at least.
No, I didn't think he was being show-offish by doing what he did to the cat, not at all. And I agree sociopaths often are sadistic to animals. I did think he was a sociopath and misogynistic too.

No, I didn't think he was being show-offish by doing what he did to the cat, not at all. And I agree sociopaths often are sadistic to animals. I did think he was a sociopath and misogynistic too.
Did you think the filmmakers were being show-offish? That's what i got from your post and naturally projected it onto the characters.

Did you think the filmmakers were being show-offish? That's what i got from your post and naturally projected it onto the characters.
This post was 666

It's cool guys this one is 667 you can respond!

To the way I seen it, the film makers changed styles midway...at least in my mind the first half of the film was like an existential film that explored the meaning and strength (and weakness) of faith. To me that was very intriguing. The end however IMO went over the top and became a horror torture type thing.

Which A), I'm not a fan of...and B) I think was a sell out to end the movie in a big way. Now this is important: many, many films IMO go over the top and end in a big way, as I'm guessing the directors thinks that's what the audience wants. And they probably do.

I have the same complaint with American Psycho. I liked it in the first half, but it lost me by going over the top in the last half. I wouldn't use the phrase show-offish, as I think it's more about film makers wanting a big punch in the ending.

To the way I seen it, the film makers changed styles midway...at least in my mind the first half of the film was like an existential film that explored the meaning and strength (and weakness) of faith. To me that was very intriguing. The end however IMO went over the top and became a horror torture type thing.
I'm done defending other peoples things

Orlando (1992)
This was an interesting film to watch but overall I had mixed feelings towards it. For the positives, I thought the cinematography of the film was quite good and that Tilda Swinton was fantastic in the lead role.

However, there were quite a few things I didn't like. For example I didn't understand why Orlando was played by a woman and Queen Elizabeth was played by a man. I also didn't understand how Orlando was able to live for centuries. Things like this are probably what kept me from enjoying this a lot more than I did

Overall, I feel this was a film that had potential but it ended up doing not enough for me.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I was a little lost on those points myself. Was Orlando "granted" immortality by Queen Elizabeth and, like a fantasy film, simply be taken for granted and accepted?
And while I know very little of the director, I did read a little about her and of the actor who played Queen Elizabeth and it seemed to be a subtle inside "joke" or tip of the hat having the sex of the actors switched up. This film is quite poetic in appearance and delivery, so something tells me there was something of the poetic in that decision.
Perhaps someone of more knowledge of the director would have better insight.
But thanks for checking it out Yam. Sorry it didn't work for you, and yes, Tilda WAS fantastic in it.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's never really explained in the movie but I did wonder whether Queen Elizabeth perhaps passed on her immortality to Orlando, that she had been living for centuries and slowly growing older and then passed the baton on to Orlando, as it were.

I can't see the problem with Orlando being played by a woman at all - this is a character who spends half the film as a man and the other half as a woman, whoever plays Orlando they're going to have to play a different gender at some point. Part of what the film is trying to say is that Orlando is the same person, it's how everyone else reacts to him/her that changes.

Holy s*it did Camo quit the site?!
I think he will be back. He and Cricket will probably end up being becoming made men together.

Europa Europa

I knew nothing about this film before the HOF started and to be honest wasn't thrilled with the prospect of another WWII film. I really enjoyed this one thankfully. It is a very unique story and the intrigue of that drives the film. The protagonist is not your normal stand up no matter hero, neither is he a coward. He makes up his mind to survive at any cost, and that he does. Some of his decisions are definitely questionable and I think the film confronts that fact well without ever judging him.

Unfortunately besides the story I didn't find anything else about the story remarkable. The acting, cinematography, and score are all adequate but not spectacular or memorable. Nothing wrong with that but when I start ranking movies for a HOF, it certainly could become a factor.

Good film that I am pleased was nominated. Because it probably wouldn't have been seen by me otherwise.